Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sunroofs.. Any thing good?

Old 10-16-2001, 12:53 AM
mnfordcowgirl
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I want to install a sunroof in my 83 f150, but I have only heard that factory and after market leak. I guess I dont care to much about it, but does anyone know of a brand that is beter than the others?? And installing them??? This is my first restoation project and with some help form my guy friends I want to do this mainly by myself. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-18-2001, 07:58 AM
Chuck P.
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, can't tell you any "good" brands, just that I've had one in for at least 8 or 9 years, so far no problems. I did put this in myself. Just take your time, carefully cut the roof a little small and then slowly trim to the size you need, you can always take a little more-tough to put it back once it's gone! I think this is the best way to go even though it takes a little more time (do the same with the liner). I also added some bracing around the unit between the liner and roof so it would stay tight when off-road and bouncing around, I think this has kept the seal tight by not allowing any roof flex. I also used some marine grade sealant and applied it liberally cleaning off the excess before it set-if you go with this, you must have a dry place to allow it to fully cure, took 24 hrs for mine, but figured if it works below the water line should be OK for this and so far has been. Just make sure you have all seal areas very well cleaned and very lightly scuffed(no wax, ect.), both sides, for the best possible seal. It really is easy as long as you take your time and have the correct tools for cutting the roof-I used a sheetmetal nibbler which is air powered for the first cut and then a dremel with the cutting/grinding wheel to finish the opening and clean it of any burrs or edges which might have cut or damaged the seal. The only other thing I do is keep the rubber seal "conditioned" so it doesn't get hard and crack. Hope this helps a little bit anyway!

Search this Thread