Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

1991 F250 XLT Lariat "Rear Antilock" trouble light staying on

Old 02-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Paul9
New User
Paul9 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1991 F250 XLT Lariat "Rear Antilock" trouble light staying on

My "rear anti lock" trouble light stays on. The Haynes manual says I have the RAB 1 system on the rear wheels.Is this an easy fix and can someone tell me what I need to do to fix it? I have 62,000 original miles on this truck and it is very clean, runs excellent and I want to take care of this. Thanks ----> Paul <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->

Old 02-19-2009, 01:58 PM
1994 F250: 351, C6
Posting Guru
1994 F250: 351, C6 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There is a sensor that plugs into the top of your rear differential. This is the RAB Sensor. Check the wires on it. If they are all good, remove it, clean it up, and put it back in. If this does not fix your problem, replace it.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:00 PM
BRay09
Posting Guru
BRay09 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mine goes on and off at times... always wondered what could be the cause of this. Ill check that out too!!

Old 02-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Lazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to all
If you look under the dash, either near the parking brake pedal or near the glove box you should find a black wire with an orange stripe amd a connec tor. This is the RABS diagnostic connector. Unplug the connector and with the ABS showing on the dash momentarily ground the black orange striped wire. The ABS light will blink, count the number of blinks and this should give you the error code. The code should be between 1 and 14 I think..
It could be the sensor in the diff., could be the wiring to it, could be low brake fluid, could be wrong/blown brake light bulbs or defective brake light switch or defective solenoid valve.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:48 PM
BRay09
Posting Guru
BRay09 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Lazy K View Post
If you look under the dash, either near the parking brake pedal or near the glove box you should find a black wire with an orange stripe amd a connec tor. This is the RABS diagnostic connector. Unplug the connector and with the ABS showing on the dash momentarily ground the black orange striped wire. The ABS light will blink, count the number of blinks and this should give you the error code. The code should be between 1 and 14 I think..
It could be the sensor in the diff., could be the wiring to it, could be low brake fluid, could be wrong/blown brake light bulbs or defective brake light switch or defective solenoid valve.
Hope this helps.
WHere would you get the codes from? I mean what the codes mean. FFI.com?

Old 02-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Lazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to all
Try raybestos.com or post what you get back here.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Paul9
New User
91 Ford 250 speed sensor was out

Thanks for everyones help. I paid 15 bucks for a new one and replaced it. One of the easier fixes on a truck. Paul

Old 02-20-2009, 11:00 AM
jas88
Post Fiend
jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.
Ugh, I hate the RABS on these trucks, I always pull the fuse and the bulb as one of the first upgrades I do.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Paul9
New User
sensor is out

Which fuse do you pull and what bulbs are you talking about?Maybe you could explain it more in detail so I can understand for any future problems that might come up.I thought maybe you meant pulling the fuse to reset everything but I didn't know what you meant with the bulbs. Thanks

Old 02-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Paul9 View Post
Which fuse do you pull and what bulbs are you talking about?Maybe you could explain it more in detail so I can understand for any future problems that might come up.I thought maybe you meant pulling the fuse to reset everything but I didn't know what you meant with the bulbs. Thanks
The computer does not store error codes so is reset every time you switch the ign off. I assume he is talking about the ABS warning light bulb in the dash and the RABS fuse, probably also the bulb for the red brake warning light.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:41 PM
jas88
Post Fiend
jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.
You just pull the fuse for the RABS in the fuse box to disable the system. This will cause the RABS warning light to come on, so I pull that bulb as well. The red brake warning light is not affected by the RABS.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:03 PM
No_BS
Senior User
No_BS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah, I tried everything to get mine to work.... no dice. Electrical tape fixed mine.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:17 PM
silvachris
New User
silvachris is starting off with a positive reputation.
Answer to Paul itching question

I have the same problem with my ford and my mechanic told me that the sensor could be bad or the one of the gears inside the tranny slips which causes the rear antilock light to come on. He said technicly you don't need the rear antilock but its there for extra protection. He told me if i want to fix it, it would cost me $6,000 to $9,000 to fix it. So he said just to put a piece of tape over the light area.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Zorfox
Junior User
Zorfox is starting off with a positive reputation.
Up to $9,000! Wow!!! I'll do it for half that, come to you and warranty it for a thousand years.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:11 PM
dmanlyr
Posting Guru
dmanlyr has a great reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a great reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a great reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a great reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by jas88 View Post
Ugh, I hate the RABS on these trucks, I always pull the fuse and the bulb as one of the first upgrades I do.
While it is your choice to do so, this in no way can be considered sny kind of a "upgrade"

It is in truth, a downgrade. I have five of these RABS equipped trucks and they all work find, and the mileage varies from 24k to 240k. But then I don't live in a area where salt is used on the roads, at least much and I would hate to live in a salty area -

David

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1991 F250 XLT Lariat "Rear Antilock" trouble light staying on

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.