2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about F-150 super crew

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 02:58 PM
ProblemChild
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions about F-150 super crew

Hello all. I was hoping to get some input here. I've been around a bit in the super duty and v-10 forums, but new here. My wife and I have been looking for a "family vehicle", and I am lovin the 04+ f-150 super crews. We have come down to a mountaineer, or a f-150 super crew. So since I have been pressing the issue, she suggested that I ask the people who would know the most about them, being people on this forum. I already have my mind made up, but am looking for some real world experience and opinions for super crew owners. The biggest question is, how are these trucks with kids? Are they that roomy? Anything to watch for? We just had a new arrival, and plan on atleast one more in the future. So any pro's and con's on these super crews would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and we look forward to seeing your imput!

Old 02-16-2009, 03:10 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
As far as seating goes, your kids (especially if they're young) will have no problem with a Screw.

The biggest difference between the two would be part time 4wd (truck) vs the A4wd (SUV) in my opinion.

Then there's also the inside capacity between the two, which you've probably already considered.

Have you googled the actual interior dimensions of the two vehicles your looking at?

I think if you get the newer F150 you should be fine. The '04 and '05s I believe have a ticking engine but as far as I know, very few result in actual problems.

Good luck man and congrats on the new arrivals!

-rockstate

Old 02-16-2009, 03:32 PM
fitz888
Senior User
The f150 has alot more room than the merc but if your wifes going to drive it most of the time she will enjoy the merc more because of the smaller size better turning radias.Get both my wife has a 04 explorer limited and loves it v8 power awd just put it in gear and drive its the perfect rig 4 a woman.You would enjoy the 150 more than your wife.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:49 PM
gcozmo
Senior User
Originally Posted by fitz888
The f150 has alot more room than the merc but if your wifes going to drive it most of the time she will enjoy the merc more because of the smaller size better turning radias.Get both my wife has a 04 explorer limited and loves it v8 power awd just put it in gear and drive its the perfect rig 4 a woman.You would enjoy the 150 more than your wife.
I agree totally. We have the exact same set up and my wife would much rather drive her Explorer than my F150. When it comes to getting around in traffic and parking lots, it's the Explorer, hands down.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:09 PM
fireman28
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the others. I drive an F150 SC and the wife has a Mountaineer. The 150 has more room if you only count the first 2 rows of seeting. You will have more than enough room for a family of 4. If your wife is driving it most of the time she would most likely prefer the Merc as it is much easier to get around in. We take my wifes anytime we have to go to New Orleans or Houston.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
um...the F-150 is actually pretty easy to drive around town. My wife drove my 06 as here daily driver for 2yrs before we had to upsize to 3rd row seating because of too many kids

sucks in parking garages though...big time. I can only fit into 3-4 of them...and it really sucks when some a-hole parks up along the line and you have to play the 4 point backup game to get out of the parking spot

how many kids you got? I've got 3, all in carseats and they fit in the back just fine. Not a single problem...about 6-8" of seperation between each seat. and the front seats are pushed all the way back as well.

in the pics below, I have 2 Graco Snugrides and 1 booster seat...Now have 2 Evenflow Convertibles in there, and same room space

really wish we had test fit carseats in the F-150 first. I used to have a 03 GT that I ditched to buy a SUV...which is funny because my F-150 is easier with kids than that damn Durango

Old 02-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Catmonkey
Senior User
I just went from an '03 Expedition and I never used the 3rd seat. The SCrew has just as much room and the stuff I used to carry in the back of the X, no longer makes noise since it's outside the cab. Sorry, my kids are grown and off the payroll, so can't comment on those issues.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:17 PM
ProblemChild
Freshman User
Thank you very much guys. I really appreciate the responses and the pics! We were thinking of the mountaineer, since her parents had bought an 04 with the 4.6 all wheel drive. Her parents don't really like it, so we talked about buying it. That was almost a year ago, and I'm afraid her mother, who drives it the most with have it pretty much trashed by the time we would end up buying it. Any thing has to be better that her s-10 blazer, pos. Anyways I feel pretty confident that she could handle a f-150 s-crew. We live in U.P of Michigan, so not to many parking structures here. Only one actually and she has to use it for her job. She has driven my v-10 many times and I feel confident in her abilities, now that I have trained her a bit, lol. The v-10 has a 4" lift and 315's in the summer. Last time she drove it to work, it wouldn't let her out of the garage, cause the sensor wouldn't hit it. Anyways, my truck does the hard stuff, little bit of play, towing the mudtruck, and hauling all the dirty tires, ect. I think an s-crew would be perfect for her drivingaround, family trips, possibly towing sleds and light duty whatever. Anyways, thanks again guys. This is a real big help. I hope she'll be more open to the s-crew after reading all of your response's and the pics too!

Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Bronco1975
Junior User
If you do go with the F150 i would make sure to get the bed cover. It would help to keep things like baby strollers dry/secure.
We have 3 kids. 8yr,7yr & 6 months, believe me you can never have too much room.
I'm impressed with the amount of room in the F150, and our other vehicle is an Excursion.

Tylus, you sure look to have your hands full there bro. LOL

Old 02-17-2009, 01:21 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Bronco1975
Tylus, you sure look to have your hands full there bro. LOL
he he

4 month old twins and a 5yr old

all girls...I live in a Sea of Estrogen...even the damn cat is a girl

p.s. make sure to get a DVD Player for the rear if you can...they are lifesavers

Old 02-17-2009, 06:42 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tylus
all girls...I live in a Sea of Estrogen...even the damn cat is a girl
i feel your pain man... wife, 10 month old girl, 2 female dogs... at least they're all good natured 95% of the time.

Bite the bullet on the s'crew... i love mine, wouldn't go to anything else except an '09 with that extra 6" of space. our inlaws often travel with us, and 3-4 hours in the back seat for my FIL (6', 220+lbs) isn't uncomfortable at all... my MIL isn't that much bigger than my 10 month old daughter, so she doesn't complain at all...

Old 02-17-2009, 05:17 PM
flowhand1967
New User
Problemchild as of 2-16-09 I have driven a 07 f-150 s-crew 4x4 and it is the Best truck I have ever had! Plenty of space for my 6'2 330lbs my wife and 2 kids 7 and 12 yrs old in the back seat! I have never had a problem with anything on my truck . We bought in new in Nov. 2006 and just replaced the tires last week. It has the comfort of a family car and the power and fun for playing in mud. Your wife should love the s-crew 150 .

Old 02-17-2009, 08:38 PM
slomafarms
Senior User
i can run my screw around town with no prob...its a truck not a gocart... and i have plenty of space in it...just if your wife drives it just remind her it wont fit in a tiny spot...my aunt did that to my uncles 08 screw...it wasnt pretty at all

Old 02-19-2009, 12:56 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
I have 2 boys--9 and 12. They insist on riding the F150 instead our sedan car whenever we go anywhere even if it's taking them to school in the morning. We take the truck on family trips everywhere too. Wife loves the fact that she can fill the box up with stuff she couldn't even imagine carrying before we got the truck. We certainly do not travel light anymore. :-)

She likes driving it so much that she's is bugging me to hurry up and get a new superduty so she can inherit it.

You can't go wrong!

That 4WD is a godsend. Just last weekend, we were buried in about a foot of snow while we were out skiing. My kids were amused watching folks having trouble slipping and sliding around in their chains trying to leave the parking lot while i was loading up the truck to leave. As we were about to go, I told the boys, 'watch this'. Flicked the 4wd-hi switch on, backed her out of the snow and away we went with not a hint of hesitation anywhere. I'll bet you I know what they're going to want to buy as their first 'car' :-)

Yeah, finding a space in a parking garage is kinda painful--like in some places like San Francisco, (it's a real bad idea to drive anything bigger than a toyota corolla there anyways) I've got a couple inches of clearance between the overhead structure beams and my roof, and I gotta pass by half of the 'empty' spaces since I can't squeeze in or I'll get squeezed so tightly I can't get out...and that's with my short wheelbase.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:37 AM
crabhab
Senior User
We have a 2008 Screw F150 with a cap on the back. The extra storage space and lockability with the cap is real nice. I just got back from a trip to Orlando FL in the F150. It did great, however it is not as nice as a minivan fro big road trips. We just got the wife a 2008 Kia Sedona LX to replace her too small Jeep Liberty.

Quick Reply: Questions about F-150 super crew