Notices

Dupli Color & Bondo VS. Spray In Bedliners

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 03:48 AM
aksniper
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to put a bedliner in my truck but I know for sure that I will not be doing a drop in. I wanted to know if anyone has had any experiences with the Dupli Color spray kits and the Bondo Truck Guard kits.

The Dupli Color kit is spray in, I know that much, but is it a good one or will I end up repairing it every few months or anything like that? Is it easy to do? How exactly would I do the tailgate and that crack there?

The Bondo Truck Guard is a roll on kit. Same questions apply here too.

Both will cost me under 100 for the kits and can do whenever I have time. If I go to the local shop and have them do a spray in liner its going to cost me about 300. Am I better off going to the shop or are these kits just as good?

Also, I want to put in rollbars and a spare tire carrier and some shop boxes (not much bed left eh? hehe) so should I do a liner before or after mounting them? And if I wait until after would I just remove them and plug the bolt holes and go around them so I can still mount everying? Any information, personal experiences, opinions, and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again everyone.

James

Old 04-01-2002, 08:22 AM
Bob2000
New User

I don't have any answers for you........Sorry.
But I do have some questions about this too..
I have the Ranger with 6 big, look like big screwheads in the bed........4 towards the front and 2 towards the rear.......
I am assuming those are the mounting bolts.......
I also have the bed with the fenders outside........called a stepside I think.
In addition there is a plate.......access of some sort .......in the rear.
My question is.........should these be removed before doing a paint or spray on liner?

Forgive my ignorance guys..........
I came from a Mustang GT convertible to this truck........
annnnnnnd...........I'm olllllld.......lol

I'll be asking a lot of questions about doing things to this.
Once I know everything I have.

Thanks......Bob

Old 04-03-2002, 02:45 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked into the dupli color and saw some pics of it and it looked like thick flat black paint to me. I saw some pics of the Herculiner and felt some samples and it was much better. It looks like 25 grit rubber sand paper.

Herculiner is offering $20 off right now I think, just saw the ad in a 4x4 mag. I bought mine for $76/gal and did the inside the cab and it looks great.

Never seen the bondo one but I'd look at the size of the rubber chips that they use in it.

As for the spray in, I was quoted prices around $450 + stripping and $75 more for 'over the sides of the bed'

I think the pro jobs are going to be the best but the Herculiner is a close second and at 1/5 the price it was hard to pass up.

Be sure to follow the instructions carefully, clean with MEK, run the roller over a few times as it dries for a more agressive pattern.

Old 04-03-2002, 11:08 AM
aksniper
Senior User

So Herculiner is a roll on one? Hmm...I will have to look into it. Yeah, the prices of the pros is about the only thing making me think about doing my own. Can't afford high priced stuff all the time even if it is the best. What is MEK? Have you done the bed yet at all or just the cab? If so...any tips on doing the tail gate and that crack? Kind of werrie of that ya know? Thank again for the info. I'll take a look at the Herculiner and see what I think.

James

Old 04-03-2002, 03:45 PM
79f3504x4
Senior User

I used Herculiner happy w/results.Couldnt afford $400+ for spray in.Has held up well over 1 year now. Brian

Old 04-05-2002, 05:38 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>So Herculiner is a roll on one? Hmm...I will have to look
>into it. Yeah, the prices of the pros is about the only
>thing making me think about doing my own. Can't afford high
>priced stuff all the time even if it is the best. What is
>MEK? Have you done the bed yet at all or just the cab? If
>so...any tips on doing the tail gate and that crack? Kind
>of werrie of that ya know? Thank again for the info. I'll
>take a look at the Herculiner and see what I think.
>
>James
MEK is a special type of cleaner, I bought mine at Home Depot, it was about the same price as Acetone. It needs to be compatable with the stuff used in Herculiner. Whatever you do, I'd read and follow the directions carefully. Scuffing the surface is very important for a good bond as well as having it VERY clean.

I just painted the bed about 2 weeks ago and I'm going to let it cure for about 30 days before I put the liner on. The cab has been holding up great for about 1 year now.

herculiner offers a UV kit that I'm looking at, it's not very expensive and might be worth it to protect from sun damage.

the little rubber bits tend to settle as it drys, so you might want to keep the roller clean and run it over the liner a few times as it's drying. I noticed that some areas are rougher than others because of the rubber bits settling (unless you want a smoother surface).

Old 04-05-2002, 10:06 AM
aksniper
Senior User

Well after looking at the Herculiner website it almost sounds like I could use a spray gun to apply it too although their kit only comes with the rollers and brush and no spray gun.

Since you've already delt with with Herculine, do you think the little rubber chunks and stuff are too big for a spray gun or what? The only reason I was thinking of trying it with the spray gun would be to quicken up the process a little plus think I'd personally be more comfortable spraying it than using the roller but would still have to watch out and make sure doing everything right.

I wonder how it holds up to heat cause I think I could even apply it under the hood to provide a sound deadener or softner, however you wanna put it.

Oh yeah, ment to ask last time, what exactly did you use the Herculiner on in the cab? Just some spots with no carpeting or something? Hmm...suppose if I wanted, could rip out the entire carpet and do Herculiner. Hehe. Would be kind of cool looking I think. Oh yeah, does it smell much or at all in the cab? Thanks again.

James

Old 04-05-2002, 06:04 PM
Bob_VT
Elder User

Old 02-24-2006, 07:56 AM
mccwho
New User
Thumbs up Been looking, did some research, already decided.

You guys should check out Durabak Bed liners.
It looks a little tougher then the others. You can build it up as thick as you want or can afford. The military is using it in there trucks, nuff said!
The price is about the same as the bondo option. I got there brochure and a sample or it, then compared it to RhinoLiner and the Bondo. I think Rhino is the toughest, and most expensive, but the Durabak is about the same toughness and cheaper. It is easy to repair, if ever needed.
Heck in some of the examples on there site some guy did his whole car with the stuff!
All I saing is check it out and make up your own mind, don't rush into anything as permanet as putting in a liner.

Old 02-24-2006, 03:08 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome mccwho to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords.

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 02-24-2006, 06:38 PM
mhg
Fleet Mechanic
Methyl Ethyl Ketone

Old 03-01-2006, 01:00 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
I'm a LINE-X dealer.

The do-it-yourself stuff is all the same: Solvent based polyurethane. None of them have anywhere near the durability of the professional stuff, but I realize that the professional products are not for everyone.

Be SURE you prep the vehicle EXACTLY as the directions say. It will take a weekend to do, take your time.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:00 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
One plus of the Durabake stuff is you can get fire retardant for it.