Sponsored by:

Second Battery Location in a V-10

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:00 AM
shadowdd
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
BTW, Bryan, don't let this _____________ (fill in the blank) stop you from modding your rig however you want or like.

Mods aren't done because they're exclusively needed. Most modifications, by a majority of auto enthusiasts, are done because of a want, not a need.

You don't need to justify your want.

Keep documenting your installation brother. Good job!

Stewart
Ha, there are just too many words to choose from to fill in the blank and I don't have that much time. Sorry about not posting more pictures with the battery installed and wired, we have been slammed trying to get everything ready to drive up to Chicago, New York, Boston, Philly, and down to Miami. That is all with the new toy hauler. Tomorrow we hit the road and I will try and get some time to post some more pictures this weekend. I do have to say, that the thread has become pretty intresting to read.

Bryan

Old 02-20-2009, 12:24 PM
6686L
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AltaEx
Well, to be honest I'm too lazy to learn a lot of technical details, facts, etc. Geez - I don't even know how most of my own body's systems work let alone how my truck's systems work . . . . .
All I know (or more accurately 'believe') is that a second battery might help in cold weather. Though I used to just install battery blankets. It might also buy you some time during periods of storage without having to disconnect the battery.

= = = = = = = = = = =

I salute your HONESTY. Not often we run across someone who has enough sense of personal honor and integrity to admit what he does and dosn't know, without throwing in a lot of BS.

Actually, you believe correctly - the second battery could well make the difference between starting or walking in an EXTREMELY cold start situation. As temp. drops below around 20 degrees, the starting capacity of the BEST batteries starts falling off rapidly. VERY rapidly.

Yes - in that respect, you are absolutely correct in your belief.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:01 PM
whjco
Elder User
There are also some folks who will install a second battery that's connected via an isolation relay. That way, 12v loads can be operated without the engine running but if it's depleted, then you still have a fully charged battery with which to start the engine. Once the engine is started, the isolation relay closes and the alternator charges both batteries.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:59 PM
bmenzel
Senior User
Originally Posted by shadowdd
Ha, there are just too many words to choose from to fill in the blank and I don't have that much time. Sorry about not posting more pictures with the battery installed and wired, we have been slammed trying to get everything ready to drive up to Chicago, New York, Boston, Philly, and down to Miami. That is all with the new toy hauler. Tomorrow we hit the road and I will try and get some time to post some more pictures this weekend. I do have to say, that the thread has become pretty intresting to read.

Bryan

Have a safe, relaxing (yeah right) trip. Send pictures!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:23 PM
shadowdd
Elder User
Originally Posted by bmenzel
Have a safe, relaxing (yeah right) trip. Send pictures!
Will do, thanks.

Bryan

Old 02-21-2009, 01:59 PM
AltaEx
Senior User
Originally Posted by 6686L
= = = = = = = = = = =

Actually, you believe correctly - the second battery could well make the difference between starting or walking in an EXTREMELY cold start situation. As temp. drops below around 20 degrees, the starting capacity of the BEST batteries starts falling off rapidly. VERY rapidly.

Yes - in that respect, you are absolutely correct in your belief.

Extremely cold - I'd consider that about -30 to -35 degrees - that's about where I'll almost definitely plug in my car. (Though for longevity I suppose I should be plugging it in at much warmer temperatures.)

Questions: Would any of the newer battery types now the market provide any or most of the advantages of a second battery? Would a deep cycle battery work?

Old 02-21-2009, 10:18 PM
6686L
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AltaEx
. . . .Extremely cold - I'd consider that about -30 to -35 degrees -

I AM A CALIF. ARIZONA BOY. IF THE TEMP DROPS BELOW 70, I CONSIDER THAT A GREAT HARDHSIP....!

Would a deep cycle battery work?
THE PURPOSE OF A 'DEEP CYCLE' BATTERY IS TO SURVIVE MULTIPLE FULL DISCHARGES, AND THEN ACCEPT A CHARGE WITHOUT SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE. YOU FULLY DISCHARGE A STARTING BATTERY (like we all have in our EX's) AND YOU WILL PROBABLY RUIN IT IF YOU DO IT MORE THAN ONCE OR TWICE.

SO WHILE A 'DEEP CYCLE' BATTERY WILL HANDLE REPEATED DISCHARGES, ITS LIMITATION IS - MEANING THE DESIGN THAT GIVES IT THAT SURVIVABLILY, MEANS IT WILL NOT DO AS WELL WITH THE SUPER-SURGE OF POWER THAT IS REQUIRED TO CRANK AN ENGINE OVER. IT WILL DO IT, BUT NOWHERE NEAR AS WELL AS A STANDARD CRANKNG BATTERY.

THE FELLOW WHO STARTED THIS THREAD HAS THE RIGHT IDEA - ADDING ADDITIONAL BATTERIES SINCE HE WANTS TO RUN LOADS WHEN HIS EX'S MOTOR ISNT RUNNING. FOR THE ULTIMATE, WHAT HE SHOULD DO IS HAVE ONE STARTING / STANDARD BATTERY THAT HAS NO FUNCTION OTHER THAN TO CRANK HIS MOTOR OVER -ISOLATED FROM HIS 'HOUSE' BATTERIES (as I noted earlier, those are the batteries in boats and RV's that are subject to long periods of use/discharge before they finally get re-charged). THEN HE CAN RUN HIS 'HOUSE' BATTERIES DOWN AS OFTEN AS HE WANTS, AND THEY WILL RECOVER ONCE HIS MOTOR'S ALTERNATOR STARTS RE-CHARGING.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Wow! You dig up an old, buried, almost two year old thread just to post a picture?

Now THAT'S retarded!

Stewart

Old 12-04-2010, 09:18 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Have to admit, it was an entertaining read for a new member like me.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Yeah, it was fun back then too.

6686L posts have actually been less acerbic, sarcastic, and condescending in nature the last year or so. In his own manner, he means well.

Stewart

Old 01-04-2011, 11:26 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

My version of the dual

Shoe-horned in there. Steel strap under the innertube to hold 'em down.

Had some free time last week...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/m...y-squeeze.html

Old 01-15-2011, 06:28 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I added a second battery when I installed the winch. True the OPTIMA yellow top single I was running worked well even with the compressor, and extra lighting for driving, fog and back up lights, but when the winch kicks in under a heavy load, it was just enough of a step out of my comfort zone to warrant the second Yellow Top. Call me conservative yes, but out on the trail, I'd rather have 2.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:47 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Cay, where did you install the 2nd batt? Also, where'd ya put the compressor?

thanks if you have pics.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:32 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The compressor is located inside the frame rail, under the driver door. We installed it there and fabricated a piece like a skid plate to protect it, out of diamond plate. It was a clean install to operate the Air Lift bags.

The other battery is situated like this starter of this thread. I'm not that happy with my install, it's ugly but it works. I'm looking at placing it next to the OEM location, I think it might fit by turning the OPTIMA 90 degrees and installing them side by side. The OPTIMA is smaller than the factory battery. I have not tried yet. Another consideration is that I'm wanting to install a Paxton supercharger so the whoel arrangement I have now may go out the window to fit the kit.

I'll take some photos of the compressor install when I'm on my feet again (knee is banged up). There is a lot of room under there between those frame rails, i bartered for a air tank off of a big rig, I want to mount it under there as well and have on board air, as well as air for the air bag controller.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:51 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

They will fit side by side at 90° to stock, at least mine did (2 red tops). Need to cut a little out of the fender/radiator support and shave the plastic dimples off the optimas. See picture in my 'various' album (link 4 posts up).

Quick Reply: Second Battery Location in a V-10