Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Ford vs. Dodge/Chevy/Nissan safety

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:21 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Ford vs. Dodge/Chevy/Nissan safety

Four pickups fare poorly in crash test -- Newsday.com

Here's Fox's version, but doesn't mention Ford at all.

FOXNews.com - Large Pickups Get Poor Marks in Crash Tests - Auto

Interesting.

Can anyone find a link to the actual results for all the trucks tested?

Old 02-11-2009, 10:40 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IIHS is not a government agency and as long as a vehicle passes Federal regs, its legal for sale in the USA. That said, this information is valuable if you are shopping and that is your priority. Personally, I think the whole idea in the last decade or so of using a truck as a family car is the real problem, somewhat fixed by recent higher fuel prices. Trucks are for carrying cargo with adult drivers/workers. Passenger cars are for carrying passengers. Risk management is still up to the individual, armed with knowlege, of course.

Jim

Old 02-11-2009, 12:09 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well keep in mind, crash tests are done with something within 500lbs weight of the vehicle, at the same height. a 4500lb block hitting a truck 3 ft off the ground will have a different effect than a chevy impala tunnelling under the side.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:36 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
One thing that I notoce is that they test these vehicles by hitting them with a solid object, i.e. the object does not deform. Now that doesnt make up for a poor vs. good, but seriously is your vehicle goign to be broadsided by a 4500 pound piece of concrete? just a thought.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:57 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Try sliding sideways into a bridge abutment at say...60 MPH?

Old 02-11-2009, 09:57 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's the most informative article I could find.

Silverado, Ram and Titan hit hard by IIHS side-impact crash test - Autoblog

I posted the same thing here, should of looked to see if it had already been posted before I started mine.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...from-iihs.html

Old 02-14-2009, 03:24 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by alchymist
Try sliding sideways into a bridge abutment at say...60 MPH?
not bing an idiot, but that is extremely unlikely to happen, besides, if any one of those trucks hit into a bridgeabutment at 60, the people on the impact side are dead, period. Hell, most unibody cars break in half with that kind of impact.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:35 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Originally Posted by 92f150I6
not bing an idiot, but that is extremely unlikely to happen, besides, if any one of those trucks hit into a bridgeabutment at 60, the people on the impact side are dead, period. Hell, most unibody cars break in half with that kind of impact.
Perhaps, perhaps not. I once had the unfortunate experience to hit one almost head on at about 50 MPH... totaled the car, walked away with minor cuts/bruises. And this was in the days before airbags! And what about someone hitting a patch of black ice?

Old 02-14-2009, 03:52 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Ford (and Toyota) should be congratulated for doing so well in these tests. It seems like you all are trying to make up excuses for the poor performance of the trucks.

I know for a fact if the F-150 did as poorly as the others it would most certainly be bashed beyond belief.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:27 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
You know what I found funny. The Titan, the oldest truck of the bunch performed better than the Silverado and matched the Ram (at least with its optional side air bags) both of which are much more newer and one would think safer.

FYI... insurance companies base their rates off of test results from the IIHS not the NHTSA.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:43 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Originally Posted by alchymist
Perhaps, perhaps not. I once had the unfortunate experience to hit one almost head on at about 50 MPH... totaled the car, walked away with minor cuts/bruises. And this was in the days before airbags! And what about someone hitting a patch of black ice?
Personally I don't allow black ice to be used as an excuse, yes you can hit it and lose control, but I've had it happen to me several times and I've never gone off the road or hit anything, the problem is the people who are not educated properly on how to react in those situations and just hit the brakes.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:58 AM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Originally Posted by rollerstud98
Personally I don't allow black ice to be used as an excuse, yes you can hit it and lose control, but I've had it happen to me several times and I've never gone off the road or hit anything, the problem is the people who are not educated properly on how to react in those situations and just hit the brakes.
If you read my post carefully, I never said that I was the victim of black ice....I too have hit black ice on more than 1 occasion, and never "lost it".
Having grown up in the hills of NE Pa, I am well versed in winter driving. If it makes any difference, I fell asleep just prior to hitting the bridge, after pulling 2 consecutive 8+ hour shifts at two different jobs. The point some of you are missing is,SH$$ HAPPENS. Otherwise they would'nt call them accidents.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:28 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
If you hit a patch of black ice on a steep crooked mountain road, you will find that there is no proper reaction. Flatlanders and/or city folks just don't understand.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:21 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Originally Posted by osbornk
If you hit a patch of black ice on a steep crooked mountain road, you will find that there is no proper reaction. Flatlanders and/or city folks just don't understand.
Flat or not, good tires(proper tires I guess) go a long way to stopping out of control situations, my tires are bald, driving through slush is brutal right now, truck is all over the road. Not trying to be an a$$ here, but have you been in the mountains between Italy and France? I was stayin in France and riding a bus to Italy during the 2006 Olympics, those mountain passes are incredible, not like the ones up here in Canada where we go around the mountains and stick to the valleys, these roads go right up over the top, truly amazing.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:16 AM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Let's see, ultimately you wind up with 4WD low engaged, winter tires all four wheels, both diff's locked, chains all the way round...then you break something! Or if you get stuck then, you are really stuck!

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. --Robert A. Heinlein

Quick Reply: Ford vs. Dodge/Chevy/Nissan safety