Sponsored by: DP Tuner

PSI 7.3L Horsepower/Torque ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:45 PM
CharGriller
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PSI 7.3L Horsepower/Torque ?

I have had my new (used) 2000 F-350 for about a week now and was wondering? All I know is it has a Super Chip that's supposed to be at 60 HP above stock.

When I Google chips it seems most have approx three settings, something like a 60 for towing, a middle of the road (can't remember) and a high one around 130 hp or so for performance.

Would it be a correct assumption on my part to presume that my 60 HP Super chip is set on the tow rating? If so could somebody who know estimate my current horsepower and torque?

Also is the tow setting also considered the best for MPG while towing? All knowledgeable help is appreciated. Can this chip setting cause any damage or compromise the engines longevity? Would the engine perform better from a mpg standpoint with out the chip? Thanks for your patience.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:00 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe around 280-290RWH , get a DP-Tuner chip(you can have up to 15 positions if your pocket is deep enough) and those chips are shift on the fly chips, no programming just switch while you go.... they are sponsor of this forum , than after you get DP chip your output will be better. this chip is not so popular in 7.3 dynasty.....

Old 02-09-2009, 08:03 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
John, I have run the Superchip for 4 years without anything but a muffler delete. There is no problems with running this chip in any settings according to what you are doing. Don't tow in performance and so on. Now, once I started modding my truck, I do understand what is needed to run a custom tune. I do still have my Superchip to read codes and hold down my paper work in my shop.

I don't know what the HP and TQ is on each tune on the Superchip. I do know that my 60 HP tune has more power then the 110 HP of my the Superchip.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:11 PM
CharGriller
Senior User
Gee that's no better horsepower than my EFI 460 gasser? I was hoping for a much improved hp and torque than my twenty year old F-250. I won't be getting an upgrade chip anytime soon. If it hadn't came with one it would be running completly stock.

There isn't any sane reason a production engineered F-350 7.3L PSI diesel truck shouldn't be able to perform adequately hauling my eight foot self contained p/u camper and two horse slant horse trailer.

And the twice a year hauling of a ten thousand GVW hay trailer. If I have to
spend more money out of pocket to pull and haul at the posted speed limits I guess I'd better sell this truck and go back to my old gasser.

EDIT: Sorry Millerfeed I posted before answering Petes 7.3

Old 02-09-2009, 08:22 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but your gaser had bout 300tq your SD has 600TQ which will kill your gasser going up any hill. and still smile doing it. those trucks are made for pulling. its all about torque for pulling trailers. did you pull anything with that truck yet? if not do it before you make unwise decision and get your old gasser ...

Old 02-09-2009, 08:23 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

No problem, keep the chip, better then nothing. You will get the idea soon on what we all run on our trucks. Just tune for what you are doing, don't tow in performance and keep in performance when not towing. That was what gave me better MPG with that chip. Do the 6637 and something with the exhaust, either muffler delete or full blown MBRP.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:27 PM
whitewhale
Senior User
Horse power only gets you so far. Torque is where you get your get up and go. I'm not sure of exact numbers, but I think the 7.3 puts down a couple hundred ft-lbs more torque than most gassers.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:57 PM
CharGriller
Senior User
Thanks fellas, good meat and taters here. Most of the Google searches seemed to show approx a 130 ft. lbs. for the avg. 60 hp gain over stock. Maybe somebody will post who knows the 7.3 stock setting for both horse power and torque? Then I could guesstimate by adding approx 60 hp and approx 130 Ft. lbs. torque.

Thats unreal how the ratio of hp to tq. flip flops between gasser and diesel? For some reason it seems unreal.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
The other thing with towing with a diesel is the power and torque come in lower in the rpm band and stay there. The 7.3 loves to run on the road with a load in that 1800-2200 rpm range. When you hit a hill the turbo just spools up and keeps giving more power without having to shift down or increase rpm unless you have a heavy load or a steep long hill.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
A stock super duty will put down about 220hp to the rear wheels, with a tow tune it will bump to about 280 or so but the TQ goes from 400 or so stock to 600... A full out race tune will put you right at 300hp and 600-650 tq...

It gets expensive from there...

But you should be able to pull anything you can hook to at 300 hp on a properly built PSD and never reach 1200 EGT's.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 PM
CharGriller
Senior User
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
A stock super duty will put down about 220hp to the rear wheels, with a tow tune it will bump to about 280 or so but the TQ goes from 400 or so stock to 600... A full out race tune will put you right at 300hp and 600-650 tq...

It gets expensive from there...

But you should be able to pull anything you can hook to at 300 hp on a properly built PSD and never reach 1200 EGT's.
I wouldn't care if my truck was only six horsepower if I could claim 600 ft. lbs. of torque!!!! Are you blowing smoke up my pantleg? And I mean that in a nice polite but incredulous way.

Why in the good earth would I ever want more than that? I really could pull a house (maybe a small house?) off the foundation.

And the answer is "No" I haven't had a chance to put my new truck to work yet. I've got to get the gasser listed and sold. Another "to do" yet. I'm going to wait about getting all giddy over 600 lbs. of torque , so I don't have another poster come along and kick my bucket out from under me.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:43 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by CharGriller
I wouldn't care if my truck was only six horsepower if I could claim 600 ft. lbs. of torque!!!! Are you blowing smoke up my pantleg? And I mean that in a nice polite but incredulous way.

Why in the good earth would I ever want more than that? I really could pull a house (maybe a small house?) off the foundation.

And the answer is "No" I haven't had a chance to put my new truck to work yet. I've got to get the gasser listed and sold. Another "to do" yet. I'm going to wait about getting all giddy over 600 lbs. of torque , so I don't have another poster come along and kick my bucket out from under me.

4" exhaust, 6637 filter, set of gauges, and a drop to www.dp-tuner.com and you will have 300hp and 600tq...

I have about 400 more then that now... and about 150-200hp more...LOL Its adictive...

Old 02-09-2009, 10:56 PM
CharGriller
Senior User
Well I do have a aftermarket stainless steel four inch exhaust, and an Isspro pyro gage with the Superchip and tuner, so you really do for real think I might be tickling somewhere close to those numbers? If so then when I do load the 8 ft. S&S camper and hitch the two horse slant up....I should be grinning ear to ear?

Now I cant wait for first cut grass hay so I can load that 10,000 GVW hay trailer of mine and see what the diff is coming home with a load compared to my old F-250 gasser? Especially climbing Tygh grade going north toward The Dalles. Five miles of six percent. Don't haul hay up it but often pull it going home with camper and horses.

My sweet "Rosie" is worried about the price of diesel over gas. I keep trying to tell her it will be offset by the difference between the 8 mpg gasser and the diesel mpg?
I hope I've been telling her straight?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:46 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Clay- keep telling her that. Also tell her that by spending a little money on mods such as an intake and a DP Tuner you'll save even MORE on fuel because of increased economy and tow better with more power. It may not be 100% true... but tell her that anyways

Old 02-10-2009, 10:39 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by CharGriller
Well I do have a aftermarket stainless steel four inch exhaust, and an Isspro pyro gage with the Superchip and tuner, so you really do for real think I might be tickling somewhere close to those numbers? If so then when I do load the 8 ft. S&S camper and hitch the two horse slant up....I should be grinning ear to ear?

Now I cant wait for first cut grass hay so I can load that 10,000 GVW hay trailer of mine and see what the diff is coming home with a load compared to my old F-250 gasser? Especially climbing Tygh grade going north toward The Dalles. Five miles of six percent. Don't haul hay up it but often pull it going home with camper and horses.

My sweet "Rosie" is worried about the price of diesel over gas. I keep trying to tell her it will be offset by the difference between the 8 mpg gasser and the diesel mpg?
I hope I've been telling her straight?

I know the grade... I built the Home Depot in The Dalles about 3-4 years ago. I pulled that grade many times.

With a superchips tuner set to performance you should be right at 280-300... Watch your EGT's and tranny temps, but with a superchips I would run the "tow performace" tune most of the time.

(would rather see ya in a chip of some kind!)

Quick Reply: PSI 7.3L Horsepower/Torque ?