Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Looking for a nashville area IDI mentor

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 02:36 PM
treehousedon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a nashville area IDI mentor

Hello everyone, I'm a total noob to the ford diesel scene and i just got my self it to a tough situation. I figured this seems to be one of the highest traffic internet forums for ford trucks so i would start to ask here. I'm in need of a old school ford diesel mentor badly.

I traded for a decent shape 1986 f-250 4x4 manual trans. Originally it had the glowplug controler malfunction and burn out all of the glow plugs droping one tip into the engine. My friend, the original owner, replaced the glow plugs with OE ones, aparentely there is a huge difference in quality between brands. Anyway, he did the glow plugs, injectors and added a momentary switch to over ride the controler started it back up and he had a knock. Short on patients he parked the truck and let it sit imagineing the tip destroying the engine. I loved the truck and figured i could fix whatever came up so I traded for it and attempted to drive it home from Franklin to Springfield thinking it will either blow up or blow out the tip. It knocked for about the first 5 miles, a real light knock. Most people explained it as bad fuel timeing or a faulty injector. The truck quieted down and carried me all the way home with out a hitch. Monday i drove it to work started up fine no smoke or anything, Tuesday the same, Wensday it started to knock louder so it's parked for now.

I was wrong thinking I could fix whatever came up. After working on nothing but BMWs for nearly ten years I have nothing but metric tools lightweight engine stands, 1.5-2.0 ton jack stands, and just about everything else I own inadequate. Everything works on the truck, the dash is not even cracked, good tires and brakes. I can afford to buy a used engine but i'm worried about the R&R doing it myself and even more so i'm worried about finding a GOOD used engine to start with. Can anyone help me out?? Looking for someone to help me with the r&r or any leads on good engines for sale. Thanks for reading and hopefully i will be able to repay the favor soon!

Old 02-14-2009, 08:19 AM
torkum
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a F250 with a 7.3 Powerstroke and the only place I went for parts and the service I could not perform myself was over at MidTenn Ford on Foster Ave in Nashville. I would say that their is a tech or to that would find a old school diesel a nice change and work on it on the side.
Check in over a Ford Powerstroke Forum , I've heard Tex mention of several local guys over there.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I know nothing about diesel engine; as for that matter I'm very limited on my skill's on regular fuel type as well. But just wanted to mention along with what Torkum has stated; I would also check with NADA (Nashville Auto Diesel college) off Gallatin road. Might fine a mechanic there willing to take your truck in as a class project and get it done for basically free minus parts and alittle overhead revenue expense.

Also Welcome aboard; hope between the two of us we spark a chance for you.

Mitch

Old 02-14-2009, 04:48 PM
treehousedon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. I may just get a u-haul when it comes time to move and just wait for the right time to get this back on the road. So far i have only found one for sure and maybe two other 6.9s at local junk yards and none came with any more than a 30 day guarantee, and no compensation for installing a bad motor. I would rather just wait and try to pick up an engine off a private honest owner. I might even try to attend some of these local IDI gatherings, I understand someone is trying to form one in July at Beach Bend. NADC will be right around the corner from me when I move to my new house in east nashville so that may be an option also. I'll keep checking in here to see if anything pops up and i'll keep my add on craigslist active incase anyone decides to part out an old truck.
Thanks,
Don