Electric fans on F 250 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:29 PM
dutchhman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric fans on F 250 worth it?

Looking at replacing fan to electric ones. Was wondering if any one has done this on a superduty? Mine is a 2003 F250 with the 5.4 and feel it is the best money you can spend for some horsepower compared to tuners etc. Any info would be great and stories welcomed thanks agian.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:14 AM
350z
Elder User
Smile

I had the troyer set up on mine worked great till the main controller chucked out ,they had some problems with the early ones , mike at troyer quickly took care of the problem though, I removed them right after that!, I only put them on to increase milege,performance and mpg didn't seem to change much though.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO, electric fans are an expensive modification that yields very little advantage unless you are off-roading or rock climbing. You are probably looking at $600 and up for this mod. If you are driving at speed, your stock system is very effective. Yes, you may free up some ponies, but you can achive more by installing a quality tuner (SCT) with custom tunes. You can adjust your transmission, speedometer, etc.

Contact Mike at 5 Star Tuning and see what he can do for you. You will spend a lot less and get more overall enhancements with the tuner.

5 Star Tuning | Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services

Old 02-07-2009, 01:31 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll never understand the Efan naysayers. I gained 1.8 mpg with electric Fans. Haven;t put any on a SD but as long as they are both 16 or 18 fans, whatever covers the most area, they should work. I also had the early Troyer controllers and they failed after 3 or 4 years so I got the newer improved controllers and they are working a lot better. I'd suggest measuring the radiator and figuring out which pair of fans will cover it and buy the fans separate then buy 2 controllers. You will be in it for $350 or less, unless prices have jumped in the last year. The kit's are nice if you have never done them and think you will need some help hooking them up but they are pricey compared to putting together all the parts yourself. For mounting just use a simple flat piece of steel running crosswise on the top and bottom to mount the fans to.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
I'm not saying that he shouldn't do the mod... If I were going to do it, I would also do the electric water pump to really free up some ponies. Now you are really are talking about some $$$. I just don't see the "bang for the buck" with electric fans alone. If he really wants to do it, have at it. That's what make America great! Please report back and let us know what you think about the mod.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm with galaxie641 on this one....I've installed electric fans on most of my vehicles,and they do yield a substantial increase in fuel economy-especially on the highway. Every vehicle I've installed them on in place of the mechanical fan has yielded a consistent 2-3 mpg gain.
The key to this is to get a quality fan, and in most cases this requires an OEM fan to be modified for a reliable and effective cooling solution. Most all aftermarket universal fans are nowhere near up to the task of cooling and and intended to be used as a supplemental cooling aid, not a primary means of cooling.
JL

Old 02-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Another FTE member posted this link last year... worth reading.

The Myth Of The Electric Fan

Old 02-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Furian
Another FTE member posted this link last year... worth reading.

The Myth Of The Electric Fan
In just skimming through it quickly-I see that the author is assuming alot, and is basing his opinion on his opinion. There is a real reason that vehicle manufacturers have swapped over to electric fans on almost every vehicle that they build. They simply save fuel by reducing the parasitic drag on the crankshaft. Even though the fan is "freewheeling" as the author of that article states, there is still a parasitic power consumption taking place there. If the "freewheeling" clutch fan was truly not creating a parasitic drag on the engine,then it would sit totally motionless until the thermostatic coupler engages for cooling. Don't beleive me that it's using resources to drive it even when it's not "coupled"? Reach right down there and grab it with the engine running,and see how much it's coupled-even when it's supposed to be freeewheeling.
I know the real world benefits of using an electric fan-I've done it, and have the real-world data to back it up...unlike the author of that article.
JL

Old 02-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
In just skimming through it quickly-I see that the author is assuming alot, and is basing his opinion on his opinion. There is a real reason that vehicle manufacturers have swapped over to electric fans on almost every vehicle that they build. They simply save fuel by reducing the parasitic drag on the crankshaft. Even though the fan is "freewheeling" as the author of that article states, there is still a parasitic power consumption taking place there. If the "freewheeling" clutch fan was truly not creating a parasitic drag on the engine,then it would sit totally motionless until the thermostatic coupler engages for cooling. Don't beleive me that it's using resources to drive it even when it's not "coupled"? Reach right down there and grab it with the engine running,and see how much it's coupled-even when it's supposed to be freeewheeling.
I know the real world benefits of using an electric fan-I've done it, and have the real-world data to back it up...unlike the author of that article.
JL
I didn't write the article nor am I saying that I believe everything in the article... I'm just trying to vent all the issues so that the OP can make the best decision.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
I put an electric fan on one of my mustnags a few years back, and also on my 2004 F150.

If, and thats if they gained any MPG by the fan switch, it was too little to have been noticeable.

It did lighten my wallet a bunch though, as them suckers are pricey.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Oh and just a side note.

If you really need the extra couple HP, or want to lower drag for that 1/10 extra MPG, they sell underdrive pulls.