Modular V10 (6.8l)  

What The Heck Is Going On?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:26 AM
bajadiesel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What The Heck Is Going On?

Well, as always tends to happen when the current truck starts getting a little older. I start to go around to some of the dealers and see if I cant find something that I cant live without. Anyway, every ford dealer that I've gone to has exacty ZERO new V-10's. So whats the deal. Is ford cutting off production or what. The dealers always seem to have no informative reply when asked about. With no V-10's what are the options. A 6.4 diesel that gets the same MPG as the V-10 but costs substantialy more at purchase and about 2 or 3 times as much to maintain. The 5.4 is great but not in the superduty. Not enough power to tow any heavy loads.

From a business stand point it seems like a terrible idea for maintaining of market share to eliminate an option that so many consumers seem to be so drawn to. Moreover without any replacment of the V-10.

Being forced to look at used trucks sure seems al ittle odd to me. But I guess I know haw the guys with the 7.3 feel now.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:34 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Its been like that with the V10 ever since they came out. Ford seems to acknowledge they are a good engine in their sales brochure but thats about it. A lot of the fault is directly related to the guy at the dealership that does the ordering of new vehicles. When I bought my 04' the dealer had two brand new v10s on the lot both the same one maroon the other green, I bought the green one. A rare find at dealerships.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, my most local dealership had none. One dealership, 30 - 40 miles away was receiving ONE, which I bought before it arrived. They were the only two (new trucks at dealerships) in the Pacific Northwest at the time.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
There is usually one or two V10s on our local dealer lot (only one in the county) but mostly work trucks. White XL CC long bed.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:25 PM
V10_Cougar
Elder User
They are all in Los Angeles, CA

Old 02-06-2009, 04:16 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Yup, that's how it's been almost the entire time the V10 has been offered. Dealers just do not stock them.

Meanwhile, I see plenty of F450/550's, both old and brand new, with V10's. It's the standard engine in the 450/550's, that's why.

My '01, I found on the dealer's lot in June 2002. It was manufactured in October 2000, and arrived at the dealer's around November sometime.

It was sitting there for over a YEAR AND A HALF, without being sold.

I can understand why dealers don't stock them.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:38 PM
V10 Hunter
Junior User
You should be able to order one from your dealer, If not have them find you one?if not you can look for a used truck? You should be able to find something......

Old 02-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the appeal of the V10 is one of those oddball situations thats dealers dont understand..

people who want a V10, know why they want one.. but most sales people assume if the 5.4 isnt enuf motor then u should be asking for the diesel...

i really dont understand how the V10 got the stigma of being a "unwanted" motor option.. when it is in fact one the best engines for the SD in my opinion....

one good part of this stigma is it makes V10's sell for less when used.. which is good for me..i dont think i could have afforded either of the V10s i've had otherwise...

Old 02-06-2009, 08:00 PM
barrelhorses
Senior User
Originally Posted by bajadiesel
Well, as always tends to happen when the current truck starts getting a little older. I start to go around to some of the dealers and see if I cant find something that I cant live without. Anyway, every ford dealer that I've gone to has exacty ZERO new V-10's. So whats the deal. Is ford cutting off production or what. The dealers always seem to have no informative reply when asked about. With no V-10's what are the options. A 6.4 diesel that gets the same MPG as the V-10 but costs substantialy more at purchase and about 2 or 3 times as much to maintain. The 5.4 is great but not in the superduty. Not enough power to tow any heavy loads.

From a business stand point it seems like a terrible idea for maintaining of market share to eliminate an option that so many consumers seem to be so drawn to. Moreover without any replacment of the V-10.

Being forced to look at used trucks sure seems al ittle odd to me. But I guess I know haw the guys with the 7.3 feel now.
What part of the world are you from? If not too far away, you might contact Riccart Ford in Columbus, OH. When I bought mine, they had 5 or 6 V10's that I personally laid eyes on. 4 were exactly like mine but just different colors. They also had one DRW that I saw. I bet they have some or can get one....they are a huge dealer.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:56 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Just checked Ricart's site - they don't show any V10s in stock but you're right, they usually have several in stock.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:49 PM
bajadiesel
Freshman User
Originally Posted by barrelhorses
What part of the world are you from? If not too far away, you might contact Riccart Ford in Columbus, OH. When I bought mine, they had 5 or 6 V10's that I personally laid eyes on. 4 were exactly like mine but just different colors. They also had one DRW that I saw. I bet they have some or can get one....they are a huge dealer.
Thanks for the info but I think I'm going to be to far away to take you up on that idea being as I'm in Orange County CA

Old 02-06-2009, 11:07 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Poor marketing of the V10 is only one of Ford's Fubars

The fact that most Ford dealers have no confidence in the V10, the only gas engine that tows like a diesel and offers the quiet,sweet manners of a gas engine, is just another example of the poor training of Ford salespeople.
I recently had an interview for a Ford sales position to see if they are still playing silly little mind games to sell cars. They are. When I ordered my 05 V10 I was asked repeatedly if I was sure I wanted a V10. Then I was asked to put up a non refundable 2000.00 deposit because if I did not take delivery, they would have a hard time selling it. These fools should be pushing this incredible engine as a very wise choice for many buyers. The same tow ratings as a PSD, cheaper to buy, runs on cheaper fuel, and much better choice for anybody doing short trips. If Ford undersells the new Boss V8 the same way they have undersold V10's, why are they even developing it.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:49 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrenchtraveller
The fact that most Ford dealers have no confidence in the V10, the only gas engine that tows like a diesel and offers the quiet,sweet manners of a gas engine, is just another example of the poor training of Ford salespeople.
I recently had an interview for a Ford sales position to see if they are still playing silly little mind games to sell cars. They are. When I ordered my 05 V10 I was asked repeatedly if I was sure I wanted a V10. Then I was asked to put up a non refundable 2000.00 deposit because if I did not take delivery, they would have a hard time selling it. These fools should be pushing this incredible engine as a very wise choice for many buyers. The same tow ratings as a PSD, cheaper to buy, runs on cheaper fuel, and much better choice for anybody doing short trips. If Ford undersells the new Boss V8 the same way they have undersold V10's, why are they even developing it.
I agree. The V10s can be extremely hard to find and I've never understood why. It's funny though because in the previous gen. trucks (90's models), it was hard to find 460s around here. Everybody stocked the 351s and 7.3s but it was next to impossible to find a 460. When I was shopping for a truck back in '89, the dealers did everything to try to discourage me from getting the 460.

One other thing that may contribute to it is the motorhome chassis they're producing. Lots of V10s on the road in that configuration. May be that the bulk of them are going there.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:40 AM
oldirtytruck
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well in my neck of the woods v10s are hard to find... no one carrys them either so i know the pain of looking. I had to drive to south florida to find some... which is where i purchased mine.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:49 AM
barrelhorses
Senior User
Originally Posted by bajadiesel
Thanks for the info but I think I'm going to be to far away to take you up on that idea being as I'm in Orange County CA
Ah, well it would be a good excuse for a road trip! Good luck in your search.

Quick Reply: What The Heck Is Going On?