Radiator and radiator hose

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Midnightride42
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator and radiator hose

This is on my 97 F150 with the 4.6.
I was putting my new serpentine belt on and noticed a few things that I'm not used too. This is my first truck.

So, when I was putting the new belt on the upper radiator hose was pretty empty. No coolant seem to be in there.

I went looking for the radiator cap and could'nt find one on the radiator. Just saw the overflow with it's cap.

So here is my question, is that normal after the truck has cooled off for the upper hose to not have coolant in there. On cars usually you can feel the coolant in there even after it cooled off. I was able to pinch it together so I know there was no fluid in there.

Second, where do I fill the radiator up? I was going to do a fluid flush, and do the water pump, but want to make sure I know how to refill it first. The overflow box had fluid in it at the right mark. Is that were you fill it exc?

These might seem silly questions, so I do appologize, but I've never seen that before. I'm used to cars.

Thanks,

Old 02-04-2009, 10:54 AM
KingRanchMan02
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There should indeed be coolant in the upper hose. The radiator itself has no cap like older vehicles did. the cap as you found on the degas tank is where filling is done. Are you sure that the level is correct in the degas tank? Take the cap off when it is cool and check the level inside the tank. The inside of the tank may have sediment coating the inside that you are interpreting as the coolant level. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2009, 10:58 AM
dadlovesfords
Senior User
Squeeze the hose and watch the overflow tank for it to fluctuate. You should have coolant in the hose. Maybe not full , but there should be coolant in it.
When you refill your cooling system , fill at the overflow tank. Make sure you run truck long enough for the engine to get to operating temp for 15-20 minutes. Need to make sure all air pockets are gone.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Midnightride42
Senior User
Originally Posted by KingRanchMan02
There should indeed be coolant in the upper hose. The radiator itself has no cap like older vehicles did. the cap as you found on the degas tank is where filling is done. Are you sure that the level is correct in the degas tank? Take the cap off when it is cool and check the level inside the tank. The inside of the tank may have sediment coating the inside that you are interpreting as the coolant level. Good luck!
Yea I took the cap off and there was fluid in there.
I'll double check the hose again tonight after letting it sit, but I'm pretty sure I was able to take one side of the hose and touch the other(like your are cripping a hose).

There are times when it's really cold out, I can hear a high pitched sound that goes up with rpms. when you let of throttle it goes away. I was thinking maybe thats the water pump not having any coolant through it yet that is rubbing etc.......it doesn't do it all the time, just now and then.