Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory hitch and traler plug

Old 02-02-2009, 01:40 PM
87 F-150 I6
Posting Guru
87 F-150 I6 has a good reputation on FTE.87 F-150 I6 has a good reputation on FTE.
Factory hitch and trailer plug

Ok so call me an idiot but the factory installed trailer plug is not hooked up. In order for me to get it working I would have to get a brake controller, right. Also, what it the load rating on that hitch?

Last edited by 87 F-150 I6; 02-02-2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: miss spell
Old 02-02-2009, 02:02 PM
gdn
Senior User
gdn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The factory plug should already be wired for lights but you do need a brake controller for your trailer brakes. The wiring should already be there at the plug and it dead ends up under the dash so installing the controller is pretty easy. It's been a couple of years since I put mine on but IIRC there is a wiring harness kit you can get that plugs into the factory harness and then you just wire to the controller.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
Greg's got you set. You should have power to the 7 wire plug on the bumper just not the brake activation without having a controller. You can take a test light and check for lights, signals, brake lights etc.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:40 AM
superduty4x4
Post Fiend
superduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud of
What they both said. Factory hitch is a class V 10K GVWR hitch.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:52 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
The wiring harness was in the glove box when I bought my truck new.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:57 AM
superduty4x4
Post Fiend
superduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by miller_feed View Post
The wiring harness was in the glove box when I bought my truck new.
The trailer wiring harness, or the brake control harness?

Old 02-03-2009, 11:03 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
The trailer wiring harness, or the brake control harness?
Sorry, didn't specify, brake control harness.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:11 AM
superduty4x4
Post Fiend
Had me worried there Rick...

Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 AM
87 F-150 I6
Posting Guru
87 F-150 I6 has a good reputation on FTE.87 F-150 I6 has a good reputation on FTE.
All good info, Thanks all!

Old 02-03-2009, 12:18 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
Had me worried there Rick...

I put the goose neck hitch in my truck as soon as I bought the truck. The guy putting the hitch on went right to my glove box and took the harness out, he knew that is where Ford put them.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:04 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
rebelchevy02 has a very good reputation on FTE.rebelchevy02 has a very good reputation on FTE.rebelchevy02 has a very good reputation on FTE.rebelchevy02 has a very good reputation on FTE.
If your having trouble with trailer lights, there are seperate fuses for them. Just because your tailights and turn signals work on the truck, doesnt mean the fuse isnt blown for the trailer ones.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:32 PM
superduty4x4
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rebelchevy02 View Post
If your having trouble with trailer lights, there are seperate fuses for them. Just because your tailights and turn signals work on the truck, doesnt mean the fuse isnt blown for the trailer ones.
And they are under the hood, just FYI.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
And they are under the hood, just FYI.
On Andrew's '02 (like mine), all the fuses are under the dash. I went through this when I bought my truck. All the trailer related fuses were blown. I think there were 3 of them.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:11 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
rebelchevy02 has a very good reputation on FTE.rebelchevy02 has a very good reputation on FTE.rebelchevy02 has a very good reputation on FTE.rebelchevy02 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Ponyboychris View Post
On Andrew's '02 (like mine), all the fuses are under the dash. I went through this when I bought my truck. All the trailer related fuses were blown. I think there were 3 of them.
I think thats how mine are, but there also is the battery charge maxi fuse, and trailer brake maxi fuse, and their relays under the hood. . Thats just not were the light ones are, but there are some under the hood.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:20 PM
superduty4x4
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rebelchevy02 View Post
I think thats how mine are, but there also is the battery charge maxi fuse, and trailer brake maxi fuse, and their relays under the hood. . Thats just not were the light ones are, but there are some under the hood.
Well I was at least partially right My 99 has all the trailer fuses under the hood.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory hitch and traler plug

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.