Ohio Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RUNVS

The REAL DEAL OH Freak'n Feb B/S session

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 03:16 PM
F250FarmBoy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was a blast, but he's getting up there in age (just hit 58 a few days ago) and the late night "emergencies" were B.S, so he got one of his employees to do large animals while he does small animals. And mom's afraid he's gonna get kicked and get some major damage.

Once, before the idea of me, he got kicked by a horse in the shoulder and f@#!ed it up permanently, tore tendons, ligaments and what have ya. His shoulder caves in when he pushes on something.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:59 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow--that sounds like it would hurt!! My ranch in Florida is surrounded by horse farms. I have been thinking about some goats and some horses....but not for awhile. 3 DOGS and 3CATS are enough.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:50 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Monster-4
Try living in Holmes county like I do. I grew up around buggies my whole life so you get use to it and don't think much about it when you deal with it all the time. The tourist are a bigger danger then the buggies anymore anyway.

As far as Amish paying for the roads (.i.e. tags, licenses) fat chance at least around here. It would not go over well for any politician who tried to enact such a thing.
SIMPLE SOLUTION:

Don't pay taxes, don't get to vote... Problem solved !!!

Old 02-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
I know that Amish do pay taxes also....and the lane I speak of would save lives,and keep the tourism alive --you know how little kids are when they see the horse on the road.....look...look Mom /Dad....and how often do you see that today?
F250FB---That must have been fun running with your Dad and going to help the animals. I laugh also,at county lines and how the road is paved nice and the other side isn't...and just go to rural Florida,around Ocala and see the sand roads and then see the pavement.
Bill
A good part of the major state routes (39, 62, 241) in the eastern part of the county (where most of the Amish live) do have wide break down lanes on each side to allow buggies, bike and foot traffic to travel on the side of the road. It's still is not a perfect solution but it's good and comes at a reasonable cost. The problem is this wide break down lane is not universal and many more miles of county and township roads exist then state routes.

Originally Posted by dave boley
SIMPLE SOLUTION:

Don't pay taxes, don't get to vote... Problem solved !!!
The Amish do pay retail, property, income, etc tax like everyone else. The taxes (or fees is a better term) I am referring to is for licenses and tags/registration from the DMV. They are not required to pay any of these fees like a motor vehicle does but can use the roadways with buggies freely. The debate arises because the buggy wheels (not so much the horses) are tough on the roadway. If you ever driven into Mt. Hope from Millersburg on SR 241 you know what I mean. Plus extra money is spent adding the wide break down lanes. It's an age old debate between the English and the Amish that never really has a good solution.

My standpoint is I don't mind the money being spent if it keeps people safe and the traffic flowing smoothly but I don't like the rough roads.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:07 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Good point Monster 4!! I like the Amish and they do bring in a different type of tourism,and I like the down home style they have. I had Mennonites as neighbors years ago,and Amish when I was a kid. To each their own.Bill

Old 02-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Yep I do like this county and was born and raised here. Heck I was 9 or 10 before I realized that it was unually to see buggies and Amish!
The tourism is good and bad from my point of view. Good in that in brings in money and jobs into the area. A big plus now-a-days. Bad in that it also brings in lots of traffic and greediness. Certain parts of the county have lost their charm and "home style" feel like you said Walford from when I was a kid. Overall I think the tourism is good and hope everyone visits the area at least once.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:21 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't like the weather in Ohio wait 5 minutes it will change!!!! I am ready for spring went to Summit last week tons of stuff in the clearance demon carbs lots of new truck stuff and Chevy parts. Today went to a swap meet at Bob Gillingham Ford I'll 'post in swap meet section about Columbus all Ford MARCH 28-29