Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Transfer case woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:38 PM
unluckylow
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case woes

Well this is a followup on another post I recently posted. Well my trck had the automatic transfer case and I purchased a manuel one for cheap. The problem was that the input shats on the transfer cases were different. I took apart poth transfercases and switched the input shafts, and put them back together. I checked the gears and it switched from 4x4 to 4x4 low and to 2wd fine. I put it back in the truck and it seemed to work. My problem is that when I go from foward to reverse there is a clunk sound in the transfer case. I dont believe this is normal but have never had a manuel case before. I dont think I put anything back in wrong pieces. The truck drives great and there are no other sounds except for the clunk when I go foward to reverse, no grinding or whinning. Any help would be great. Also the input carrier pieces were identical except for the spine pattern.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:11 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could something be be just a few thousands off between the parts that you put together.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:06 PM
unluckylow
Senior User
No there was just one thing I noticed while I had the T case apart and that was the clutch gear, which seemed to have some play in it, the outer gear teeth did not mesh exactly with the inner teeth of the ecieving gear. I just hate the thouhgt of having to pull it back down and take it apart again.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:13 PM
unluckylow
Senior User
I take it that the noise is not a common noise in a manual T case

Old 01-29-2009, 08:48 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not too sure the last manual T case that I had was in my 89 OBS 7.3 That was a while ago so I really can't remember what it sounded like. Sorry.

Seems that if there was some play then it would make noise when it engages.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:50 PM
justblowin'smoke
Elder User
no its not and what you discribed in the other post is probably what is causing the clunk, i would fix this before the whole t case is junk

i've never had the t case from my truck apart i haven't even had it unbolted from the trans when i changed my clutch i manhandled the whole thing with help from a trans jack

Old 01-29-2009, 10:37 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
If you had your driveshaft off, be 100% sure theres grease in the slip portion of the shaft. There have been a lot of people complain of what your saying, and its been in the shaft. Could just be a chance. But its a start, and easier the taking the tcase apart again.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:04 PM
unluckylow
Senior User
Well the noise is comming from the case. I jacked te rear tires off the groud so i could turn the rear wheels back and forth and I hear the clunk. checked the fluid and there are no shaving or metal flakes, a good sign. I guess I am going to have to pull the case, what a pain and the but that is. I thought I would be saving some money doing it my self...I just hope I didnt do any damage inside.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
I cannot imagine why the input shafts would be different. The trannies ought to be the same from what I know. Can you elaborate on this difference? If the clunk only happens at the one time, and there are no unusual noises and vibrations otherwise, I would not be in a rush to fix it.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:00 AM
unluckylow
Senior User
Over the years ford used three different variations of output shafts on the transmission depending on year or if it was an automatic or manual. I believe the shaft spines sizes were 24, 31 , and 32. I checked and all three part numbers for the different sizes were the same for all later years meaning they were interchangable. I was able to switch the input carrier shaft with no problem, I only had one problem with putting it back together and that was I was not sure how the clutch gear meshed in with the other gears on the main shaft. I followed the direction to the best of my abilities on the Ford Tech CD.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:10 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Well I have nothing else to offer here except to learn myself. Hopefully someone will be along with some info. I have an auto anyway. I did not think there would be a big difference between the manual transfer and the ESOF as far as the connection from the tranny, just how the two go about engaging it. I have a manual 4x4 transfer case, it can clunk if I don't get it right.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:22 AM
unluckylow
Senior User
really the manual and ESOF were the sam inside except for a few minnor difference. When I got the manual case I did not know about the different shaft sizes and I did not want to pay the money to ship the case back to where I purchased it so I read up on it the best I could and decided to try it. To bad I now might have to take it to a trnsmisison shop and see if they will take a look at it for me. I will call around. I may try to see what I can find on the internet, I really do believe I put it back to gether right.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 AM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Mike the difference between the two cases, was because the floor shift tcase, came from behind a standard shift tranny. His ESOF case, was behind an auto. For some reason above me, Standard shift transmissions output shaft almost always has a smaller spline count, then what an automatic trannys output shaft is. That never seems to matter, with brand either. One exception that comes to mind, the SM465 from a half ton 80's chevy, coupled to a np208 transfercase, IIRC it had 32 splines. The same years 1 ton had the same SM465, but coupled to the np205, or np203, and it only had a 10 spline outputshaft on the tranny. Go figure.

ALSO: That is extremely generic. For example, IIRC jeep actually just uses the same spline count between auto and manual. I think they used to use a 23 or 21 spline, and now are in the 26-27 spline count, starting in the 90s. Please dont use this as gospel, if your looking for something like that haha, its really really generic, and there is exceptions.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:03 PM
unluckylow
Senior User
Originally Posted by rebelchevy02
Mike the difference between the two cases, was because the floor shift tcase, came from behind a standard shift tranny. His ESOF case, was behind an auto. For some reason above me, Standard shift transmissions output shaft almost always has a smaller spline count, then what an automatic trannys output shaft is. That never seems to matter, with brand either. One exception that comes to mind, the SM465 from a half ton 80's chevy, coupled to a np208 transfercase, IIRC it had 32 splines. The same years 1 ton had the same SM465, but coupled to the np205, or np203, and it only had a 10 spline outputshaft on the tranny. Go figure.

ALSO: That is extremely generic. For example, IIRC jeep actually just uses the same spline count between auto and manual. I think they used to use a 23 or 21 spline, and now are in the 26-27 spline count, starting in the 90s. Please dont use this as gospel, if your looking for something like that haha, its really really generic, and there is exceptions.
Well my truck is a standard six speed and I had the ESOF case. I did notice the shaft apeeared to be larger in diameter but looked like it had less splines. I am not sure my they did this either but they made it a real pain in the but for me.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:18 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by unluckylow
Well my truck is a standard six speed and I had the ESOF case. I did notice the shaft apeeared to be larger in diameter but looked like it had less splines. I am not sure my they did this either but they made it a real pain in the but for me.
Haha whoops, I got it backwards then, I thought you had the auto, and the new to you came from a stick, but its just the opposite. Either way same difference lol