Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Thanks FTE! Now what I need some help

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 03:42 PM
hotrodtodd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks FTE! Now what I need some help

I have been searching this site for as many ideas as possible to make my truck the best it can be in my budget, but all I have been talking about to the wife is truck truck truck and shes had it and wants to hear nothing about it let alone spend more money on mods she doesnt think the rig needs beyond getting it going again! So in order to get the extra stuff I have decided to sell my other hobby, my prized CR500 and buck up to the mods wanted.

So heres my list but I need some more info as I have looked all over and need a nudge if I am out to lunch on them.

Oh ya the motors out and I am towing this kinda setup. I already have 4" exhaust, gauges and a banks otto mind chip.

The truck has the 98' build date so its in the early 99' class
Internal stuff:

New malhe pistons 0.030 over, cam, lifters, pushrods, re-done heads, everything balanced and magnafluxed, oil pump ect.

Cool mods:

DP tuner, but any perticular one as I know you need to tell them your info but do I need to get a pcm too and am I getting a flash tuner?

6637 filter and intake tube with kwick mod
Zoodad mod
6.0 trans cooler
6.0 intercooler, is it really a straight bolt in?
bigg boost
oil cross over line

Turbo upgrade, I know I need new bearings and seals but with the new wicked wheel do I need to send out the shaft for balancing?

Injectors, I spoke to Bill @powerstrokehelp.com directly and he recommends the 70hp injectors from pensacola diesel as they are very reliable, I called them and they claim the 70's tend to idle higher after slowing down and a lot of people end up trading to the 40hp ones instead.

With so many combos out there I am trying to be smart with my money but match the right parts together.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:49 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm more curious about the CR 500!
Ditch the banks chip
Call Jody at DP Tuner and talk with him, he can set you up with whatever tunes you want. He'll just need the code off your PCM

Old 01-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
DP tuner, but any perticular one as I know you need to tell them your info but do I need to get a pcm too and am I getting a flash tuner?
No, you do not need a flash tuner with the DP-Tuner. DP-Tuner is a chip, and that's all you need. Nothing stacks with a chip.

6.0 intercooler, is it really a straight bolt in?
Since you are bolting in a 6.0L trans cooler, then yes this is a direct bolt in. You do need 8" long boots, since the inlet and outlet of the 6.0L intercooler is shorter. However, since you are planning to go with larger injectors, I would suggest instead to go with a Spearco intercooler. Stock 6.0L intercoolers work well with stock injectors on a 7.3L, but if you go with more power, you will benefit more from a bigger intercooler.

Turbo upgrade, I know I need new bearings and seals but with the new wicked wheel do I need to send out the shaft for balancing?
Again if you plan on larger injectors, you should ditch the stock turbo. Even rebuilding it won't necessarily make it last very long under bigger sticks. Get a 38R or an H2E instead. Of course, the 38R is not a direct drop in on an early 99 truck. A D66 will be a direct bolt in application, but depending on what size injectors you end up with will determine if you can run it or not.

njectors, I spoke to Bill @powerstrokehelp.com directly and he recommends the 70hp injectors from pensacola diesel as they are very reliable, I called them and they claim the 70's tend to idle higher after slowing down and a lot of people end up trading to the 40hp ones instead.
Please don't get offended for me saying this, but stay far far away from Powerstrokehelp.com and Pensacola Diesel. Powerstrokehelp doesn't actually know anything about real PSD performance and upgrades. Pensacola Diesel has a very very very bad reputation on many forums. Believe me, you don't want to get involved with those companies. Just the idea that Pensacola would tell you that 70 hp injectors don't idle right is a huge red flag warning. Any injector can be tuned to idle perfectly fine, even B codes and SHO's.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:57 PM
hotrodtodd
Senior User
Ya I know I need to get rid of the banks chip but does that mean the dp tuner goes where the banks one does?

Heres the Cr...

Old 01-27-2009, 04:00 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by hotrodtodd
Ya I know I need to get rid of the banks chip but does that mean the dp tuner goes where the banks one does?

Heres the Cr...

Yes to your question. Can't see the pic though... filtered out here at work.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:03 PM
hotrodtodd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pocket
No, you do not need a flash tuner with the DP-Tuner. DP-Tuner is a chip, and that's all you need. Nothing stacks with a chip.

Since you are bolting in a 6.0L trans cooler, then yes this is a direct bolt in. You do need 8" long boots, since the inlet and outlet of the 6.0L intercooler is shorter. However, since you are planning to go with larger injectors, I would suggest instead to go with a Spearco intercooler. Stock 6.0L intercoolers work well with stock injectors on a 7.3L, but if you go with more power, you will benefit more from a bigger intercooler.

Again if you plan on larger injectors, you should ditch the stock turbo. Even rebuilding it won't necessarily make it last very long under bigger sticks. Get a 38R or an H2E instead. Of course, the 38R is not a direct drop in on an early 99 truck. A D66 will be a direct bolt in application, but depending on what size injectors you end up with will determine if you can run it or not.

Please don't get offended for me saying this, but stay far far away from Powerstrokehelp.com and Pensacola Diesel. Powerstrokehelp doesn't actually know anything about real PSD performance and upgrades. Pensacola Diesel has a very very very bad reputation on many forums. Believe me, you don't want to get involved with those companies. Just the idea that Pensacola would tell you that 70 hp injectors don't idle right is a huge red flag warning. Any injector can be tuned to idle perfectly fine, even B codes and SHO's.
No offence taken, I take all advise with a grain of salt and thats why I like doing research first, so then I need to do more investigating with the injectors and turbo relation. Thanks for the input I do appreciate it.

So is anyone running a specific turbo injector combo that might work for me? I was hopeing to use the stock turbo to keep costs down, can I just get a new upgraded housing for it?

Old 01-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Yes to your question. Can't see the pic though... filtered out here at work.
You're missing out then.... that's a damn nice bike.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:08 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Stop torturing me.
Hotrodtodd, if it were me spending the bux and money were no object I'd go with an H2E turbo (I just think they look sweet under the hood) or GTP 38R, some hybrid injectors and a modded 17* HPOP from Terminator Engineering.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by hotrodtodd
No offence taken, I take all advise with a grain of salt and thats why I like doing research first, so then I need to do more investigating with the injectors and turbo relation. Thanks for the input I do appreciate it.

So is anyone running a specific turbo injector combo that might work for me? I was hopeing to use the stock turbo to keep costs down, can I just get a new upgraded housing for it?
Definately do some research. That's an important step.

As for the stock turbo, no there's not really any good injector combo to go with it. The early 99 turbo is slightly smaller than the 99.5+ turbo, so it really doesn't handle larger injectors very well. You'll have really high EGT's, and it will rob you of performance.

Lots of people like hybrids with a 38R or an H2E. That's a great setup for towing and playing power. The thing with hybrids is they can be tuned for just about any application, and they have great smoke control since they use stock sized nozzles. Compare hybrids to Stage II injectors.... hybrids will make more power with less smoke.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Hotrodtodd, if it were me spending the bux and money were no object I'd go with an H2E turbo (I just think they look sweet under the hood) or GTP 38R, some hybrid injectors and a modded 17* HPOP from Terminator Engineering.
Looks like Chase types faster than I do.....

Old 01-27-2009, 04:35 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
I have a CR 500 aswell. Its an older model (88) but it the fastest thing I have ever ridden. It doesnt look fast, because its done its share of being on its side, from failing to make hill climbs, but rest assured, its the wildest thing I have ever ridden, and Ive been riding since I was 8. Sorry for the offtopic..

Old 01-27-2009, 05:50 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
I've been riding since I was 4... currently sporting an 06 YZ 450F. I'm always up for a good hijack of a thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Any company who says their injectors won't idle properly, particularly 70hp units, I would stay away from. 6.0 IC is only marginally better than stock, and therefore a waste of money unless you can get it cheap.

Maybe a D-66 and a set of hybrids are in order. If you get a GTP38R, get the 1.15 housing. Just do it. Drive pressure will never be an issue, and egts go about the same route.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:05 PM
hotrodtodd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pocket
You're missing out then.... that's a damn nice bike.
Thanks, I have been riding 500's for 12 yrs now and love them.

Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Stop torturing me.
Well I guess you didnt look too hard at the pictures of my camping setup with 2 boys, the wife with the new trailer and all my gear the truck is unfortunatly low on the to do list, thats why something has to go. I am already spending 5k on the motor without this stuff at the machine shop with parts and all, not to mention I just bought my first house in november. I am only 28

Originally Posted by rebelchevy02
I have a CR 500 aswell. Its an older model (88) but it the fastest thing I have ever ridden. It doesnt look fast, because its done its share of being on its side, from failing to make hill climbs, but rest assured, its the wildest thing I have ever ridden, and Ive been riding since I was 8. Sorry for the offtopic..
I have a ton of stuff for that thing, I had a 88' too and have some prime time NOS stuff for it. Pm me if your interested.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:09 PM
hotrodtodd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
Any company who says their injectors won't idle properly, particularly 70hp units, I would stay away from. 6.0 IC is only marginally better than stock, and therefore a waste of money unless you can get it cheap.

Maybe a D-66 and a set of hybrids are in order. If you get a GTP38R, get the 1.15 housing. Just do it. Drive pressure will never be an issue, and egts go about the same route.
OK so I will check those units out thanks, where is the place to get them?
Does anyone know how well BD stuff works, I live right beside the headquarters and a friend is a sales guy and gives good prices on anything BD, but like any other part I wouldnt go and buy it without the FTE approval first!

Quick Reply: Thanks FTE! Now what I need some help