6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Where does it go from here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where does it go from here?

With 6.4L custom tuning now at its peak, available from multiple sources, and reaching power levels at or near what stock components are physically capable of supporting, we have been getting an increasing number of customers and interested users asking “OK……so what’s next?”. I’ve probably answered this question more in the past week than ever before.
Given the ready availability of 500+RWHP tunes, it’s pretty safe to conclude the “power wars” are going to be rapidly tapering to the backburner of tuning priorities, as the 540+HP levels approached now on tuning alone have reached the physical limitations of the stock trucks. The good news of this is that with power levels maxed, much more development time will be spent on other issues. I’m only speaking for ourselves, but improved fuel economy, debugging of issues existing in stock tunes (such as the cold drivability surging and high boost issues) and general improvement will be moved up on our priority list as is already being done with the impending release of new tunes to correct the above mentioned.

As for the release of the currently-in-development 210, 250, and 275HP revisions, we will be installing a “Tune Update Form” on the main page of our website upon release date. To provide an update to those users who have been waiting- the cold weather “surge” has been virtually eliminated in the latest batch of test files. New changes are going into effect to address the high boost issues encountered in the factory Ford calibrations and carried over into other tuning- these issues will be addressed in the three previously mentioned tunes first, and will improve overall fuel economy. The form should be available on our site very shortly.
As further development is carried out on all HP levels, from stock DPF-removal tunes to our 275, our primary focus will be with fuel economy and eliminating other “quirks” present in the Ford tuning. All users will be kept up to date accordingly as we implement changes.

But for the power junkies, we haven’t forgotten. Just because the stock trucks are maxed out on power doesn’t mean we aren’t pushing forward in that department, too. Our guinea pig engine for the shop truck just made its first visit to the machine shop recently. I snapped a few pics of the ground-up build while on the bore hone to quench some curiosities as it makes its way back together…obviously a long, long way away from stock. There will be some interesting developments and some real FUN hardware spawn from this project, and plenty in time for race season.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:54 AM
RedRage
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Internals

I would like to see pictures of the crank, rods, pistons and such when you have the time. Thanks!
Joe

Old 01-27-2009, 11:26 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Cant wait to see ya at Commerce in the spring with some of the new additions!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:34 PM
generalee31184
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I did it today, ordered the complete Spartan set up. I sat here saying, self do you need that? self do you need to spend money on anymore toys?, self do you want that system? self wont it be sick when your smoking ricers with a 3/4 pickup? haha OF COURSE. The lady on the phone was very nice to talk to and answer any questions I had. They are running a pretty decent deal for the system too, I have priced it out every which way and right through them is turning out to be the best. I cant waite to play! I love to see that bare engine block being tinkered with too lol!!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:07 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Matt, what have you guys determined to be the weak link on the 6.4 through your testing? for instance, on a 6.0 it was the head gaskets/bolts that gave up when you pushed the power. You mentioned that 500-540 is the limit for stock components so what part of the engine is starting to be compromised at 540 hp? Is it just that you cant make any more HP without upgrading to bigger injectors and turbo's or is it that some part of the engine is beginning to fatigue at those levels? Since you have a block at a machine shop I am assuming that some part of the engine has failed. Thanks in advance for your response.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:12 AM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Cool stuff. Is this RWHP or Crank horsepower?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:53 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by jasfaa
Cool stuff. Is this RWHP or Crank horsepower?
All those numbers caprang listed are at the tires.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:23 AM
jsimon724
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribing!

Old 02-04-2009, 08:23 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Matt actually posted the HP stuff and tuners usually add it on to the crank HP so i was double checking.