1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Painfull EBPV sensor and tube replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 12:43 AM
Tecman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painfull EBPV sensor and tube replacement!

Well I got tired of 9mpgs I was getting and finally replaced my clogged EBPV senosr and tube. Getting the tube out was a pain but since I knew it was going in the can, I wasnt too concerned about pulling the heck out of it until I got it out.

Backing up a bit though, I was worried about the end on the manifold. I was worried that the bolt was going to have to be cut off and be a royal pain. I blasted it with PB blaster, let it sit for 10 mins, then hit it with the little propane torch for about 5 mins. I used my 16 mil wrench and the bolt started to turn! It was reall easy. I had to keep heating it up since I could only get a 1/16 of a turn with the limited room in there but it all came apart good.

So up on the top side of the engine, I had to clean out the fitting that pressed into the steel bracket that jouns the tube and sensor. That took some time but got it all clean with a pick tool and brake cleaner**.

So no its the time I knew was going to be painful and that was to put the new tube in. Well after close to 2 hours and beating the wall with wrenches out of frustration, I got it in. Why so long? THE STUPID 2ND ALTERNATOR! This was the only time I hated having the second alt. Its right in the way and make installing the tube impossible, trust me. I had to end up taking off the positive power wire on the alt and with a hammer and cuss words, I got it fit finally. UGH. If you have the second alt and change the tube, just REMOVE THE 2ND ALT! Its a pain but trust me, its the easiest way!

So now my neighboors can go back to hating me since the EBPV now works on my nearly straight piped 7.3 and I can resume my 14-16 mpgs instead of the 9-10 I have been getting for the last 8-9 months.

What I would do is every other oil change or so, take off the EBPV sensor, thakes 2 mins, and clean out the fitting and get the soot out of the sensor. It will prevent you from having to replace the tube. After pulling my tube out, I realized it was fine, its the fitting the sensor screws into that got all clogged, just keep that part clean.

Also, Guzzle says to use a 5/8" crowfoot to get the tube nut lossned up top, GREAT ADVICE! Worked good but remember, you want the ratchet going right or the direction you would got to TIGHTEN an bolt in a typical situation.

**Caution using brake cleaner!!! I will NEVER use it again. Not sure whats going on but The engine was still a bit warm, and the torpedo heater Was blasting the front of the truck and pushing warm air up from the bottom of the engine. Well I was spraying brake cleaner and inadvertantly, I have inhaled ALOT of fumes. Right now, my sense of smell has been dramatically reduced and all nearly all I can smell is an amonia type smell. I called a few people and they to wait it out a bit, including a nurse but to be honest im a bit concerned. Mostly beacuse I have no health INS. . Word to the wise, read the label on the cleaners you use, I never do but I will now, and use PLENTY of venhilation when warned too by the product label. I hope this doesnt turn into something serious, Im a bit freaked actually but many people say ill be fine I hope they are right! I threw away my can of brake cleaner and will never own any again.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:54 AM
Steve_250
Posting Guru
Glad you got the job done, nice fuel economy is a good thing to have.
As for inhaling noxious fumes, it'll clear out on it's own by tomorrow or so.
Nearly everything in your home has something bad to breathe in, just remember that.

Thanks for the nice how-to, it will help others down the line...
Reps given..

Old 01-25-2009, 12:58 AM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much brake cleaner did you use?

I used a lot over the course of a day servicing trailers (several cans worth) without issue.

Maybe the combo of kerosene and the brake cleaner?
How was the ventilation?

And yes when the EBPV works and you have a straight pipe it is loud. Have to move away from my truck to talk when it's warming up since it's so loud.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:09 AM
Tecman
Elder User
Originally Posted by Steve_250
Glad you got the job done, nice fuel economy is a good thing to have.
As for inhaling noxious fumes, it'll clear out on it's own by tomorrow or so.
Nearly everything in your home has something bad to breathe in, just remember that.

Thanks for the nice how-to, it will help others down the line...
Reps given..
Thanks and yeah everyone is telling me the same, just wait it out. Im just tired of smelling ammonis type smell!

Originally Posted by DCSpecial
How much brake cleaner did you use?

Less than a quarter of a can

I used a lot over the course of a day servicing trailers (several cans worth) without issue.

Maybe the combo of kerosene and the brake cleaner?
How was the ventilation?

Maybe? I run the heater on diesel, cheaper and no smell and less fumes. The heater was pointing striaght under the engine sitting in front of the truck on the floor, so most of the air was coming up between the fan and engine. When I sprayed the cleaner, it didnt blow straight up or anything. Im not sure if there was a mix of chemicals or not. Maybe PB Blaster and brake cleaner are a bad combo together? on a warmish engine?

And yes when the EBPV works and you have a straight pipe it is loud. Have to move away from my truck to talk when it's warming up since it's so loud.
Yeah its loud, actually really annoying but not worht a loss of 5 mpgs!

Old 01-25-2009, 01:44 AM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Are you normally sensitive to smells/fumes?

Old 01-25-2009, 01:51 AM
Tecman
Elder User
Not like this! Never had something like this happen. I dont feel that im overly sensative to scents though.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:12 AM
orng1
Postmaster
I have gotten a bit dizzy from the fumes of brake cleaner but it does go away. Sucks and it did scare me too.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:25 AM
tomspear
Freshman User
Newbie here so please forgive if this is a dumb question. I am considering the deletion of the EBPV rod from my pedistal while I've got the motor apart. I thought I understood the concept, but now I'm having doubts. Why would the engine make MORE noise with the EPBV working (closed) during warm-up? I "thought" it would be the other way around (EPBV wired open and no muffler = MORE noise ?????)

Old 01-25-2009, 11:58 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The EBPV flap valve a cut off section, like a "D", and the force of the exhaust past this section, when closed, makes the loud hissing sound. Less exhaust output but a different type of noise than the regular exhaust note.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:31 PM
yamaguy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tecman
So now my neighboors can go back to hating me since the EBPV now works on my nearly straight piped 7.3 and I can resume my 14-16 mpgs instead of the 9-10 I have been getting for the last 8-9 months.
How do you have a nearly straight piped exhaust? I thought yours was totally factory. Have you have hurd mine yet because it is crazy loud. How are the sinuses doing today? hopefully better. Did you try flushing your nose out with nasal spray?

Old 01-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Tecman
Elder User
Hey dale, I have the walker straight through muffler on the stock exhaust. Its not that much quieter than yours.

Im still smelling that crap in my nose, but no where near as bad. Only if I take in a deep breath through my nose. Looks like im not aloe as others have done the same. Not fun and im not using brake cleaner anymore! I didnt use any nasal spray.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:19 PM
orng1
Postmaster
I will never stop using it, works to well. I don't care if I do fall over, just don't use it in excess when you don't have a well vented area.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:55 PM
yamaguy
Posting Guru
oh ok I didn't know that you had a different muffler on it.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:44 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
I hope you are alright Doug
you could have called me if you needed any help

dale, what up?

Old 01-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Tecman
Elder User
Well I cant stop flopping around on the floor, maybe I should have gotten checked out!

Ha just kiddin, my senses have come back, except for a few...............