5.4 spark plugs, oh my

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 07:37 PM
9900imatt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 spark plugs, oh my

just changed the plugs on my 06 f-250 today, what a pita, everything was going well until the last one, passenger side clear back one, turned loose and something didnt feel right, i was right, got out my inspection mirror and oh my, snapped that sucker off, so i got out my needle nose pliers and pulled one half out, but the shield still had the porcelin in it, had to chase down my cornwell dealer to get the porcelin remover kit, it worked good to get the porcelin out of the shield, then had to use my shield remover kit that i'd bought 3 weeks earlier to do one of the trucks my company has, didnt need it on that job thankfully, but i used it for the first time and it did the job, it pulled the shield out fine, but man oh day is that one job i dont want to do again, i mean having to remove a snapped spark plug, had to happen to the worst one too, what a pita, but anyway, my advice to everyone, dont wait till 100,000 to do plugs, my truck only had 45,000 on the clock and i figured i could avoid this by doing them early , but i was wrong, i did what ford said to do also, crack them loose and spray them with penetrating oil, but the other seven plugs still squeaked bad coming out, never ceased the new ones even though i think i got the updated plugs, tightened them down by hand till i thought they were right and the truck is running good again. just thought i'd tell you guys my experience today, sorry for the long post

Old 02-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Bopper
Junior User
I pulled mt Mustangs out at 2K just because I would lay in bed thinking about them. I could see some carbon on the sheath at only 2K. I just cleaned them up, coated them with the Anti-seize and replaced. Now I sleep better, and I bonded w/ the Stang. I purchased that OTC 6900 socket w/ the rubber boot inside for grabbing the plug and it made it super simple putting plugs in/out.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:07 PM
9900imatt
New User
thats probobly the smart thing to do, i just use old air hose i have laying around, i cut a piece of long enough to get down in there and it grips the plug well, thats also how i reinstalled them, i never seized evrythingand i hope i never have to go through that again, but i still have a tick coming from the passenger side, its not manifold bolts or gasket, its not the cam phaser cause it doesnt go away at higher rpms, i'm not really sure what it is, i think it may be a lash adjuster or maybe a injector, its hard for me to work on my truck seeing as thats all i do everyday, working on company trucks and heavy equipment, when i get home i dont really want to mess with my stuff, but maybe in the spring when it gets nice out i'll tear into it and find the culprit of my tick, maybe, its not affecting power or milelage, its just annoying