1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID HeadLight ISSUE???

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:52 AM
FX$
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID HeadLight ISSUE???

I Just purchased my first F250 FX4 PSD i have like 450 Miles on it and the freakin truck is awsome. wish I can get ride of the throttle lag...

My first mod was adding the HID kit. The problem I have is that when the lights first go on, the left driver side light seems to lose power from the power lead immediately?? I have to tinker with the light switch a few times to get it to stay on?? once the HID is warmed up the light comes on and stays on every time, but its weird that there is now power to the that light when I initially turn it on? does it need some resistance to know the buld is there??

Does anybody have any ideas why it might be doing this??

Old 01-13-2009, 01:11 AM
BMWM1
Tuned
I have installed several sets of hids on mainly bmws but have done a few others as well.I think you have a issue with the ballest/ignitor.switch the hid units around and see if it makes a difference.My .02 worth

Old 01-13-2009, 01:22 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
How are you metering it?

There are some cheap ballast out there and it's not impossible for you to get a bad one right out of the box. Swapping and seeing if the problem moves is the easiest test. I would put a bulb back in and if it lights, I would try to get a new ballast out of the manufacture. If it's weak now, it's not going to get better.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:02 AM
FX$
New User
I will run a meter on it tomorrow and change the ballast around and really get a diagnosis, i didn't really get time to get to deep into it had dinner plans damnit no time to play with our toy's!!. the thing that trips me out the lights go on and a split secound later the driver light goes off, I unpluged it from the wire harness and wired it right to the battery and it lights up just fine thats why i think there is no power to the drive side light main wire harness???

Old 01-13-2009, 04:30 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I can't imagine ford isolating the two headlight harnesses. For diagnostics, I would check the voltage drop as the ballast is charged and then when it shuts off. You can do the same thing with amperage, but the stock bulbs pulled roughly 5A and you need a good meter to check this draw. I am thinking if you connect the meter to hot and ground wire going to the ballast, then with the ballast off, you should see 12v with the ballast on, you should see very low voltage.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:16 PM
FX$
New User
I havent yet had time to check the HID's but after thinking about it and after ReAX note on none isolated headlight harnesses i am pritty sure the ballast is bad. as soon as i get to it i'll results..

Old 01-20-2009, 12:26 AM
FX$
New User
Ok i had time to check the voltage in the driver side headlight.

The power to that harness does turn off. i check it with a meter, i was talking with a friend and we think there is a headlight module that works in conjuction with the keychain button to turn lights on. The module might not see a good resistance on that cicuit and shuts it down?? I'll keep u posted..

FOR ReAX: only when there was 12v on the harness to the ballest is when the HID turned on.. i didnt get time to check it on or off.. but when the ballest was on the meter showed 12v

Old 01-20-2009, 08:59 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
If all else fails, use the side that works to trigger both.

Your getting 12v with the pos probe on the hot lead to the ballast and neg to the battery ground? Try with the pos probe on the hot lead and the neg on the ground lead on the ballast. This should give you an idea on the voltage drop. You can get an idea on the resistance.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 AM
kdani
New User
i've installed one myself in a f250 ...IT DID THE SAME THING!! problem...the ballast was fried. i just replaced the ballast with a new one (thankfully i had a set of spair ballasts just in case...ur wondering why right?) to make to story short...it worked,!! so best option and stop testing stuff. the ballast needs 6A to trigger, i don't understand why ur trying to "meter" the voltage since the other one is working fine (they r connected in Y shape).

cheers

Old 01-24-2009, 01:31 AM
FX$
New User
Well they are isolated left and right low beams and have there own fuses and controlled by a light module... the left power as of today does not have any power even if i reinstall the regular light bulb NO POWER TO THE HARNES. ( high beams work just fine ) THIS IS A 2008 F250 FX4

I wired both HIDs to the AUX 1 30AMP Upfitter switch and they both work just fine. the only way i can drive at night..

In the interm of the left hid not working it kept going off at first power and both hids would start to strobe after driving around periodicaly.. i could get the left HID on if i trigger the fog lamps on and off a few times but not anymore there is absolutly no power to the harness.. as for the left headlight with no power i checked the fuses and they were fine??? guess ill have to take it in..

Does anybody know where the light module is?? I am pritty sure its toast at least the left headlight..