Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surging at light throttle and low RPM

Old 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM
clarkoh
Freshman User
clarkoh is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm back and finally opened up the valve covers to find that nothing appears to be wrong. I had the p0672, p0674, p0676, p0678 codes and assumed that I had a glow plug wiring issue, along with the surging. The wiring harness looks fine, no sign of any burned wires, connections, nothing. Is there another place to look for all of the glow plugs on one bank running amuck? I still have the covers off and will be retorqueing, etc. soon. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:33 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
tdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to behold
The excursions have a GPCM which might be bad. You should not have the cold start problems over 50 degrees as the glow plugs are not needed to start. The surging might be a different issue. Did you ohm out the glow plugs at the valve cover? The two front and two back pins are for the glow plugs. Measure from glow plug pin to ground. It should be less than two ohms. Have you set the truck to stock to see if that makes a difference in the surging?

Old 08-11-2009, 10:46 PM
clarkoh
Freshman User
Good suggestions. I will check the glow plugs, before I reinstall the covers. And torque the bolts. It seems funny that all of the glow plug codes are on the even numbered bank. I will open up the wire loom and make sure the wiring is intact. Could the Glow Plug solenoid or the control module effect one head or the other, but not both?

You are correct, it starts OK in the summer heat! BTW, I did change the fuel filter and felt a marginal improvement in the surging condition.

Thanks, Clark

Old 08-12-2009, 06:56 PM
muddman77
Junior User
muddman77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I remember reading this post a long while back and wondered if you got it fixed or not. Mine does the same thing around 40-45 mph only while just cruising, if i'm in it, it runs fine through that range. I finally took mine to Ford to have a scan done and the tech said he couldnt find squat wrong, fuel sample ok, cont. test ok at idle, he finally drove the truck with the scan tool hooked up and said he found two misfires on 3&5 that speed. I pulled pass side cover and did the quarter clip trick, and re-torqued injectors. Still no fix, I guess my only other option is injectors. Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but I've seen alot of posts about all these faint missfires at this same speed. My truck has 142,000.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:03 PM
clarkoh
Freshman User
Getting things back together,no obvious signs of problems

No problem. Hopefully, one of the many here will have found the missing link. I just got the pass side back together after torqueing the bolts, adding the quarter and ohming out the glow plugs. Added a 1/2 turn or so to the injector retaining bolts and so far nothing has been obvious. While I am in there I am going to attempt replacing the turbochrger. I have had a freshened up one with the better turbine wheel for over a year. There was quite a bit of oily residue in the turbo air piping. Did I mention I have a lot of irons in the fire?

Old 08-13-2009, 01:27 AM
valiant500hp
Senior User
valiant500hp is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 02 is in at the Ford Dealership right now. It is doing the exact same thing. It's a faint miss/surge every so often between 1100 and 1800 RPMs. I've also found if I can hold the RPM's steady at like 1100, the truck shutters slightly. I went on a 300 mile road trip last weekend and on cruise at 60, my truck runs about 1700. It every so often would surge on the freeway. Felt like a tiny miss every so often. I had it in about a month ago and Ford couldn't find anything wrong. I took it back and they came up with #8 cylinder having a problem. They are currently compression checking the engine. They said if the compression checks out, it's an injector and it'll need to be rebuilt. Now I just have to figure out whether or not to upgrade the injectors while they already have them pulled or just rebuild the one injector.

The thing only has 75,000 miles on it, so it better damn well be the injector and not low compression.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:09 AM
muddman77
Junior User
Keep us updated.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:40 PM
valiant500hp
Senior User
Well, the dealership finished the compression test and the lowest cylinder was 445 psi. Since I had hinted at putting upgraded injectors in if an injector was bad, they put the truck back together. Now I have a $600 compression test and a truck that still misses. I am going to try and get a different CPS since that seems to be a big problem, before I get the STAGE II's or the HYBRIDS. We'll see. Least I know the engine is still in sweet shape......

Old 08-13-2009, 10:07 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
tdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to behold
re

Originally Posted by valiant500hp View Post
Well, the dealership finished the compression test and the lowest cylinder was 445 psi. Since I had hinted at putting upgraded injectors in if an injector was bad, they put the truck back together. Now I have a $600 compression test and a truck that still misses. I am going to try and get a different CPS since that seems to be a big problem, before I get the STAGE II's or the HYBRIDS. We'll see. Least I know the engine is still in sweet shape......

Wow that was expensive!!!!!!! I assume that you are not throwing any codes? Maybe you are sucking in air. A common place for this is at the fuel pump or in the tank. You can take off the valve covers and run it at idle and see which injectors are spitting oil at the same rate. But the weird thing is it can be intermittent and move around?

Old 08-13-2009, 10:22 PM
clarkoh
Freshman User
Question Injector Upgrades

Originally Posted by valiant500hp View Post
There is a place selling upgrade injector kits on Ebay. Dieselcare of Memphis. They offer the kits in 40, 75 or 100 HP and are priced at 595.95 which includes all of the o rings to rebuild and install them. Has anyone dealt with these guys?

Old 08-16-2009, 11:55 PM
clarkoh
Freshman User
Might be Fixed

I super glued the sending unit back together, drilled out the rivets in the butterfly for the back pressure valve, welded the shaft from turning and put it back together. Lubed up the connectors with 2-26 cleaner and added the quarters and torqued the bolts. Even got carried away and ported and polished up the inside of the intake elbow. So far, no codes and seems to run pretty good with the new wheel. I did not feel the surging, so maybe the fresh turbo, with the good compressor wheel did the trick? I will know more soon, I have a 750 mile each way trip to Buffalo this week!

I ordered the blank turbo pedestal base. I think my oil leak might be associated with the EBPV actuator? There is allot of oil in the valley.

Question: What would the down side be to installing a non waste gated turbo housing? I seldom do any heavy hauling. Occasionally I pull a flat bed trailer with up to 8000 lbs. total weight, but not for long distances.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:36 PM
clarkoh
Freshman User
Question Codes p0238, p0603, p0478, p1211

Plus the even numbered glow plug codes all showed up again. I reduced the EDGE programmer performance level from Race to Tow. I cleared the codes and will try again on the way home from work.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:07 PM
valiant500hp
Senior User
Originally Posted by tdpower View Post
Wow that was expensive!!!!!!! I assume that you are not throwing any codes? Maybe you are sucking in air. A common place for this is at the fuel pump or in the tank. You can take off the valve covers and run it at idle and see which injectors are spitting oil at the same rate. But the weird thing is it can be intermittent and move around?
It was throwing a code, but no check engine light was on. It was a #8 injector fault. I've read on here a lot that the new CPS is giving these exact symptoms. I installed the new grey CPS from international for the OBS engine and it is still missing. Everything I have read says that the new grey cps's are the problem. I am trying to find a C99 black CPS like Jody was selling, but am having zero luck. I would like to try a black CPS before I yank the injectors and have them tested and rebuilt.

I have heard people having luck with the blue DT 466 CPS. I might try to find one of those and throw it in for s & giggles. The miss is sure driving me nuts. The only thing I was thinking why it might be an injector was that it the CPS was changed and it didn't miss, but as time went on, more and more of a miss was detected. I did read that people were having similar symptoms though. Change the CPS, drive for a month or two, then develop a miss.

Fun times.........

Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 PM
muddman77
Junior User
I saw a couple blue cps's on ebay a few days ago, I believe they were under 7.3 sensor, around 60$ though. I think i'm gonna try that first also, before I start throwing injectors at it. I dont think I had the miss before the recall either.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:59 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
tojoski has a great reputation on FTE.tojoski has a great reputation on FTE.tojoski has a great reputation on FTE.tojoski has a great reputation on FTE.
Was your old turbo wheel dusted?

Many have reported that as a side effect of the K&N Filter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Surging at light throttle and low RPM

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.