6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Got the latest flash yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Reko
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the latest flash yesterday!

First let me say hats off to the site and forum. I have learned a lot in the last few months.
I took my 08 F-250 SD Job #3 into the dealership yesterday and had the latest flash done. I am thoroughly amazed and pleased with it so far.
I noticed some immediate changes in the shifting and power, not to mention in the fuel mileage.
At 55 MPH I was and am still running around 1450 RPM's and at 65 MPH it was running around 1750 RPM's and also made no change in the RPM's. HOWEVER fuel consumption appears to have decreased significantly.
I live almost two hours away from the dealership and frequent that trip and the town often. It used to take me 1/4 tank of fuel to make the trip. After the flash yesterday, it took just a little bit over 1/8 tank to come home yesterday.
There has been a lot of talk, questions and answers concerning mileage posted hear lately, and I know it has a lot to do with driving habits and I also know that the in dash computer is only and average. With that being said, I also noted yesterday and today driving the truck after the flash that driving at 55 MPH I used to get 14.5 to 16.5 MPG and at about 73 MPH on the interstate I was lucky if I could get 16 MPG. Since the flash yesterday and driving including my comute to and from work today I was pleased when the puter told me 18 to 19.5 MPG at around 60 and still got 17.5 on the interstate.
I see several post with people still having problems with their trucks and telling of bad experiences with dealerships.
Technology has come a long way over the years, and the smaller dealerships are doing everything they can to stay in buisness and I hate to say it, but many of them do not put enough emphasis on training for their techs. My advise to you that are having problems, find a dealership that trains their people and you wont have these problems. The days of guessing and shade treeing are over. My dealership and it's service manager are top notch and are very, very knowledgble of the new emmisions. The service manager took the time to explain everything to me, and even took me back in the bay area and I observed the flash being done. The tech told me what to expect as far as what the flash would do and he was right on the mark. He also explained that the fuel consumption would drop because of the change in the shifitng paramiters and the torque converter not being locked up so much as before. Heck they even gave me a free wash and oil change while I was there. How is that for service?
I am curious to see how it handles the regen now, and hopefully it will not be as bad on fuel consumption as before.
To those who may be procrastinating over the latest flash, I say do it, but let someone who knows how do it.

Good Luck!

Old 01-20-2009, 09:17 PM
trucking-guy
New User
rear-end gear ratio

I would like to compare the information you gave for your F250 to my F250 but I need to know what gear ratio you have in the rear end.
Thanks

Old 01-21-2009, 12:59 AM
logpyl
New User
I just had My 08 350 done. I brought my truck in for an oil change and I got it back with the flash and no explaination. MPG is up, but performance is down. Also it goes into REGEN way more than it did before. I thought I was making about 35 Psi of boost before but now all it will make is 26. The truck has less than 5000 miles now and about 1000 on the new flash.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:01 AM
FX$
New User
is there a flash version # so that we know what the latest flash is???

Old 01-21-2009, 07:50 AM
Champ198
Elder User
Flash version

Is there a way to push a sequence of buttons on the dash to get the computer to show the flash version(s)?

My dealer did the 8B07?? flash two days after it was announced but I believe they did not load the correct version. My truck does not show "cleaning exhuast filter" except for a split second then goes away.

thanks

Old 01-21-2009, 08:36 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by Champ198
Is there a way to push a sequence of buttons on the dash to get the computer to show the flash version(s)?

My dealer did the 8B07?? flash two days after it was announced but I believe they did not load the correct version. My truck does not show "cleaning exhuast filter" except for a split second then goes away.

thanks
That is what mine does so I don't think I got the latest version either.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:07 PM
BENSFORD
Freshman User
I had the reflash done on my F350 4x4 dually on Monday. I took the truck on a short 60 mile interstate trip at 65 mph to compare with a trip I took before taking it in. I always reset the fuel mileage avg. when I first get on the interstate and make a round trip and check the mileage when I get back to my starting point. The mileage was 14.5 on both trips. So that looks the same but the boost was higher. On flat ground it was 9 to 10 and any incline it was 15 to 18 and when I pushed it it seams to max out at 26 to 27 lbs.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Reko
New User
trucking-guy, my sticker says I have 3:55 gears and an auto tranny.

I have not noticed any change in boost pressure with mine at all. The truck seemed like it was "labored" before at any speed and was very sluggish. Now it runs smooth and easy. Seems to have more Pep than before.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:00 PM
xtmotorsports
New User
Champ198 i dont know if there is a sequence of buttons on the dash but i got the 08B07 update a couble days ago and went into clean mode and the dash displayed "cleaning exaust filter" untill it was done. Clean mode also seems like it does not last as long as it did before.
DAN

Old 01-22-2009, 11:26 AM
yukondiesel
Senior User
I just got my Job-3 truck back this morning. I haven't noticed any difference in the 30 or so miles from the dealer. Maybe I just need a little more time and experience with the new flash. They also re-did the venturi update after I did it. I guess they didn't trust me with that delicate operation.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:53 PM
PHXDiesel
Senior User
I had the 08B07 update done, and I have mixed emotions about it. The IC now displays when I'm in regen mode, but regen seems to be back to the way it was 2 flashes ago. I _really_ liked the way regen worked on my last version, but unfortunately the IC would never tell me unless I went through the whole system check manually. I could barely tell when I was in regen mode before.

NOW with this update, regen is brutal. I was taking off from a light earlier today, and I made it across the intersection on a slight uphill, and then it seemed like the engine cut all power for 3 seconds then went back to normal.. During the 3 second 'lag' the engine was making the old racket it used to make when in regen mode on my original version of code. After the lag went away for 2-3 seconds, it came right back for another 3-5 seconds. During this time pushing harder on the go pedal seemed to have no impact in my ability to continue accelerating. Mind you I'm still going under 15mph. It also seems that my regens have locked me into 20psi of boost again.

I feel like I took a big step back in time.

Damnit ford, give me the last PCM code back, with the IC upgrade.

I guess I'll wait through another regen cycle and see what happens. I had big power problems when towing with my early code versions. Only my last version fixed it. I only upgraded because Ford put the disclaimer on their 08B07 notice that said if something breaks it's my fault for not updating.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:06 PM
LJC
Senior User
Strange... I got the 08B07 update done a couple of weeks ago and have no power loss at all when regen starts. I've just noticed the sligth change in shifting

Old 01-23-2009, 07:12 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First - the problems you mention under 15 mph shouldnt have anything to do with a regen. If you are in regen under 30 mph then your software/flash is not working properly and needs to be reinstalled.

2nd - if you cant get over 20 psi boost then it sounds like you are either in limp mode (built in safety on the truck) or you have something like an intake tube or CAC loose.

I would take it back to the dealer to have them assess it.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Originally Posted by caprang
First - the problems you mention under 15 mph shouldnt have anything to do with a regen. If you are in regen under 30 mph then your software/flash is not working properly and needs to be reinstalled.

2nd - if you cant get over 20 psi boost then it sounds like you are either in limp mode (built in safety on the truck) or you have something like an intake tube or CAC loose.

I would take it back to the dealer to have them assess it.
I have had the 08B07 flash for 3 months. My truck does not have to remain at 30 mph for regen to be in process. It may have to be there to start, but if I stop for a light or stop sign it does not quit. It only quits when complete or when I shift the transmission to N or P. As long my transmission remains in Drive, at least on these short stops, it does not cancel a regen that's in progress.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:58 PM
LJC
Senior User
Originally Posted by Larry NCKS
I have had the 08B07 flash for 3 months. My truck does not have to remain at 30 mph for regen to be in process. It may have to be there to start, but if I stop for a light or stop sign it does not quit. It only quits when complete or when I shift the transmission to N or P. As long my transmission remains in Drive, at least on these short stops, it does not cancel a regen that's in progress.

Correct Larry. Regen stops when shifting into P

Quick Reply: Got the latest flash yesterday!