The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

How do you guys get your music?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 06:47 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do you guys get your music?

OK Im not up on all the latest computer stuff on down loading music. I pods. MP3 players. All is foreign to me. Educate me on this stuff. How does it work? Is it easy yo use. Help a dumb guy out that needs to learn. Thanks for any help guys.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:14 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Downloading music is easy. You download iTunes for free, give them an email and make an account. You can either give them a CC number to automatically charge when you buy stuff, or go to wal-mart and buy iTunes giftcards in different amounts, then apply those to the account by clicking a few buttons. Buying stuff is really just clicking the "Buy" button, then waiting for it to download. Then it either charges your card (for the daily total?) or counts again the amount of the giftcards you've redeemed.

Your songs all show up in one giant list called the Library in iTunes. You can import other songs on your computer, or rip CDs into the library too. Then you created playlists that are just the songs you want to play, either in order or random. You can drag and drop these straight to the iPod, and it automatically copies the song over. Or you can drag and drop individuals songs to the iPod, and create playlists right on it, too.

iPods (the simple ones, not the Touch) you just plug in and let charge, then use iTunes to drag and drop songs/playlists onto it, like moving folders around on your computer. They're even easier than a cellphone to work. The iTouch is like a baby laptop, it has crazy amounts of stuff on it.

It's just really expensive to buy iPods. I got mine when the store at school was trying to get rid of the old models before all the new stuff came out, so I paid 50% of what the thing retails for (so I probably just paid what it's actually worth). The Shuffles are what I like, they're like a CD player with no CD, just some buttons. No screen, no extras, just 1GB and one playlist. Zunes I've heard are good, but havent really heard or seen much more than that. I still burn CDs for my truck, I'm not all the way dependable on this technology junk quite yet.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Flying_Dutchman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would also suggest goin with the Ipod and Itunes. As for getting the music it will be worth your while to check for p2p programs to download your music from. Might as well save yourself a couple grand.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:36 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok so how do these Ipods connect to your car stereo?. What kind off cost am I looking at. If I want to download a song but not sure on the title but just need to listen to a clip off that can I do that? Thanks for the help. Bryan an Capt.M

Old 01-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Flying_Dutchman
Posting Guru
You can hard wire them into some car stereos using the aux port. Or get an fm adapter that uses a radio station to play your ipod. As for finding songs, often enough if you type in some of the lyrics on google the artist and song are the first results you will get.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:36 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not a fan of the FM adaptors. They work good if your staying in one local area but if you travel you have to keep changing the radio station to an unused one. I ran into this with my Serious Satellite Radio. I ended up buying a cassette adaptor an am very pleased with the sound. When I get around to changing out my factory stereo I will make sure that it has a aux input jack.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:53 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 150ford
If I want to download a song but not sure on the title but just need to listen to a clip off that can I do that? Thanks for the help. Bryan an Capt.M
yes, just double click the title in iTunes and it should play 30 seconds of the song for you before you buy it

Old 01-25-2009, 11:42 PM
1994diesel
Elder User
i know you can get the music for free, and ive heard the best way to do so is with torrents.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:36 AM
highboy87
Senior User
it's all about torrents mang... freeeeeeee

Old 01-28-2009, 12:22 AM
1994diesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by highboy87
it's all about torrents mang... freeeeeeee
oh yea, there faster and more convenient cause you can get a whole album instead of a few random songs.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Freyja
Freshman User
itunes, then burn a backup.