Tired of the 300 bashing - Page 20 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Tired of the 300 bashing

Old 01-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Posting Guru

86sixbanger is starting off with a positive reputation.
yeah, come on, talk about hijacking a thread for pete's sake....
Old 01-03-2010, 09:22 AM
New User

frankenstien77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CylBill View Post
Yup, a 3'' body lift. Truck sits as high as a stock 4x4. I wish I could add another three inches of lift. I know once I start working again the rear is getting a pair of add-a-leaves. Mr. Darrell, do you know about how high adding just one leave would raise the truck? I'd like to be able to haul more and add a bit of rake to the truck. I don't want to tip the front too far forward tho - worried about the front tires rubbing. What is th average way to go about adding leaves, anyway? Do most guys just add one leave? I don't know how that works.
I put 4" lift springs in the front and had to add a leaf in the back to level it up. I went to the bone yard and got a pair of leafs for 8 bucks. First seperate the shackles it's probly best to go get a pair of after market shackle from autozone that have several holes to chose from the stock spring shackles will not go back into place after you bend them out to seperate the springs. you will also need new center pins for the springs also most are cut to the stack-up you currently have and won'y accomodate another leaf. They are only 5 bucks for a pair of pins. So step one. Seperate the shackles, step 2. unbolt the center pin, step 3. jack the frame one side at a time the leafs will seperate, find where the leaf length you have will fit best pound it in with a small sledge align the center hole with a big punch or lady finger from the top, compress the springs with c-clamps, install center pin tighten install shackles, lower truck back onto axle. the same u-bolts should work if your adding just one leaf. It is easiest to remove one wheel at a time and chalk the front and back of the other 3 tires. It is way easier than I just made it sound. Good luck By the way it added about 1.5 inches to the back with one spring

Last edited by frankenstien77; 01-03-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: forgot a step
Old 01-03-2010, 09:45 AM
New User

frankenstien77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Col, I just rebuilt my 300, 2,000 miles ago. was verifying everything my build the other day with a cylinder leak down tester to make sure the rings seated good and the head was done right and noticed that I only had evidence of combustion burn on 2/3rds of the piston and the last 3rd (intake/exhaust side) still looked like when I put the piston in new. The plugs are burning perfectly timing is spot on and I'm pulling -18hg on the vac gauge. Does this condition right it's self with the 4bbl intake and carb or should I not waste my money. You may have read my previous posts about redesigning the head and probly think I'm a crackpot like most of the others but I believe that there is a better way to give this engine way better hp/tq and still make it efficient. I am only looking for 350 naturally aspirated ponies and 400+ on torque. shouldn't be very hard at all with this engine. Thanks for bringing back the reason I joined this thread, to find out what others have experienced with this engine and because I'm sick of building 8's anyone can build one but how many dare to do the 6
Old 02-22-2016, 01:43 PM
Postmaster

Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.
I realize this is an old thread, but due to H.D. issues along w/ Nancy & my health & family issues, Nancy was diagnosed w/ A.L.S. & losing our home to a dishonest Lender, Nation Point, I lost track of this till now while looking for other Itel.

Unlike others here & according to my now deceased Father, along w/ Howard & "Olde Man" Johnson, at JMS Racing Engines, it can be done the way you are talking about. They've run the numbers & played around w/ it, but there is not enough call for it to make it profitable for anyone.
And as I Keep Stating, find the AUG. 2002 ISSUE of "CLASSIC TRUCKS" MAGAZINE & Read the Article, "THE JOY of SIX". Clifford built a 300 I6 w/ 500hp w/ the complimentary FPT to go along w/ it.
"Classic Trucks" magazine article author & his team took it out for a run, Street & Strip, then had it Dyno'd interdependently, to verify the numbers & guess what, it was 500hp, along w/ the complimentary FPT w/o any Juice Squirted, nor Turbo'd, Naturally Asperated. Go Figure!
Old 01-04-2018, 10:52 AM
Freshman User

Mightyox is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know this is old but I'd like to add that to beat any chevy ever made with any engine all you have to do is buy a Ford and wait a few years. The Chevy will simply be broke down and and waiting for you to pull it home. The 300 is a great engine and you can build one to out run a V8. The down side is it takes more than 500 bucks in most cases. If I'm wrong about the $500 point me to the nearest 300 for sale.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:11 AM
Senior User

530ktmpilot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The thing is everyone has a right to their opinion. That being said, there are a ton of great engines out there; some OK ones and not OK ones as well. New Technology tends to obsolete old technology as a matter of course. Here’s a great case in point:

When I was younger I was a camaro guy. Restored one 1970 z-28 back to as new specs. That car came with the venerable LT1 smallblock (360hp rating). Forged pistons, solid lifter cam, alum intake, 780cfm holly carb- all from the factory.

Jump forward a few decades and I bought one of the LS powered camaro SS cars. As much fun and performance as that LT1 had, the LS1 was way faster and got better mileage to boot.

It doesnt mean the LT1 was a POS, its just past its prime now and there are better so.utions available.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:39 AM
Junior User

78Fords is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have to agree with most posts the 300 is an amazing engine and there is nothing wrong with it. my 300 was bad messed up when i got it and with maybe $500 into the engine and some experimenting i have a well oiled machine and will get me where i need to be without worrying about anything going terribly wrong. I have done quick fixes to it on the side of the road. i have stopped to adjust the curb idle. the 300 will do what you want it to do if its set up for it. Mine is granny 3 so its no rat rod but if i were to re-gear it supercharge/turbocharge. it can do anything. I am 15 years old and the 300 has been a great engine for me to work on. and don't think that i havn't done anything to it because i started on it when i was 12 and its come a long way. i've worked in v6s and 8s 4bangers i6s and the 300 has been amazing to me. i believe the 300 is one of fords greatest engines overall for power,reliability, life longevity, and ease of maintenance. please answer peoples questions friendly and respectfully.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:06 PM
Senior User

530ktmpilot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyox View Post
I know this is old but I'd like to add that to beat any chevy ever made with any engine all you have to do is buy a Ford and wait a few years. The Chevy will simply be broke down and and waiting for you to pull it home. The 300 is a great engine and you can build one to out run a V8. The down side is it takes more than 500 bucks in most cases. If I'm wrong about the $500 point me to the nearest 300 for sale.
To be truthful, most any engine can be built to outperform another if you have the right amount of money. Design wise, there are quite a few engines (chevy and ford) that have better stock hp per Cubic in ratios than the 300 and are just as reliable. The 300 is a very smooth and reliable engine but if I were building a truck to pull a heavy load or provide loads of power I wouldnt start with a 300 as you are at a disadvantage. It can get the job done with the right amount of money thrown at it but it would end up a much more expensive solution than starting with a more suitable candidate. Maybe thats why folks like it so much, its the challenge of the build.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:47 PM
Postmaster

fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktmpilot View Post
The 300 is a very smooth and reliable engine but if I were building a truck to pull a heavy load or provide loads of power I wouldnt start with a 300 as you are at a disadvantage. It can get the job done with the right amount of money thrown at it but it would end up a much more expensive solution than starting with a more suitable candidate. Maybe thats why folks like it so much, its the challenge of the build.
I am building a E350 extended van that is going to haul heavy loads and tow a heavy trailer. I'm swapping out the 351W/C6 for a built 300/NP435/NP205 combo. And my van is not a light vehicle.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:51 PM
Posting Guru

EricJ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.EricJ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just my .02 cents. I'll be 65 in April, there is a real good chance I've owned more Ford trucks than most of you have driven. My oldest was a '46 and the newest was an '85. Didn't like the '85 so I went backwards from there. I took my '65 390 4spd 4x4 off the road about 5 years ago 'cause New England salted roads ate the poor bitch. Just started the rebuild a couple of weeks ago with a 66 2wd F-250 I bought for the body. I have decided to put the 100% perfect 390 on the shelf in my garage and build the 300 that came in the '66 and make it an air ride 1/2ton 4x4.

I love the 390, but I've had 3 of my trucks with 300's in them and never had a complaint with any of them. The deciding factor was when I brought the 66 in the shop the other day to pull the cab and opened the hood and remembered how nice it was to climb up and sit beside the engine to tune her up. And since it will just be a toy from now on, ( my hard working truck days are over), I think I'll add an Offy with a little Holley and a pair of EFI exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust and maybe chrome the VC and Side covers and drive it that way for awhile.
In closing, I never had a Ford engine that deserved bashing, but I knew a few Ford owners that did.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:03 AM
Elder User

The Frenchtown Flyer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
... In closing, I never had a Ford engine that deserved bashing, but I knew a few Ford owners that did.
As a former Ford engine engineer I'd like to amend that to
I never had a Ford engine that deserved bashing, but I knew a few Ford engineers that did.