Tired of the 300 bashing - Page 15 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Tired of the 300 bashing

Old 12-29-2009, 06:51 PM
greyghost85
Postmaster
greyghost85 has a good reputation on FTE.greyghost85 has a good reputation on FTE.greyghost85 has a good reputation on FTE.
views expressed on this thread may not necessarily be those of intelligent, rational individuals.....lol

Old 12-29-2009, 11:53 PM
86sixbanger
Posting Guru
86sixbanger is starting off with a positive reputation.
well put.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:58 PM
86sixbanger
Posting Guru
86sixbanger is starting off with a positive reputation.
wait, you're not talking about frankenstein77, are you???

Old 12-30-2009, 07:12 PM
frankenstien77
New User
frankenstien77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
for real your not talking about me are you?

Old 12-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Ilikebigtruckstoo
New User
Ilikebigtruckstoo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am new to using forums. I have just bought a 92 f350 with an 300 I-6. My purpose for joining was to get helpful information. What I am not looking for is all the other option that are out there. It is too late ... I now own the truck so factual information on what the engine can and can't do is helpful. I wish I was 16yrs old and had 500 dollars to put in a motor electively! However, I would like the truck to haul a steel 3 horse trailer ... not fast, just without blowing up the motor. I have moved from paying others to due my work so I need simple instructions and pics are better! Can anyone direct me to the best manual to work on the 300 I-6, since the truck has only one motor I only need info on the 300 I-6! Thanks

It is unfortunate that people can't disagree pleasently; so, I suggest the wisdom from my childhood; If you don't have anything good to say than don't say anything.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:54 PM
greyghost85
Postmaster
greyghost85 has a good reputation on FTE.greyghost85 has a good reputation on FTE.greyghost85 has a good reputation on FTE.
no, F77....i wasn't singling you out. it isn't too difficult to i.d. the knuckleheads....lol

Old 12-30-2009, 08:01 PM
greyghost85
Postmaster
no, F77....i did not mean you. my guess is, you know more about motors than i ever will. I like big trucks too, sounds like you have your head on straight. it isn't hard to i.d. the knuckleheads! lol they stand out in their own sad way

greyghost85
Postmaster
THAT WAS A WEIRD GLITCH....lol

dwrestle
Elder User
dwrestle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well I don't think you will have any reliability problems with your F-350, the 300 is very tough. If it's performance you want I don't really know what to do the usual bolt on stuff I guess cold air intake, free flowing exhaust, maybe pulleys if they make them for 300's.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:44 PM
frankenstien77
New User
GREYGHOST85, Thanks for the compliment but I will never claim to know more than the next guy about engines we all have our own unique experiences and if we share them we all become smarter. I was just irked that someone tells me what can't be done unless the stars are aligned. Sadly when people can't do something they think so high of themselves that they say no one else can do it either. Lots of people have told me what can't be done but I say horse hockey. The wright brothers were told for years that flight wasn't possible and look where we're at now. We are all capable of something great if we get rid of the word "can't" oh well. I seriously plan to redesign the head on this monster as soon as I get the capital and with 7 main caps supporting the crank why cant this motor get near 5,000ish rpm the bottom will certainly support it of course with a very well balanced set of rods and a good liquid dampner included. I have noticed in the 800 rpm range on this engine it seems to vibrate the most but smooths out at 1,000 which tells me the rubber damper ford uses is less than adequet. I limit out a 2,200 rpm on my engine which doesn't seem normal to me but I attribute it to the one barrel which if my math is correct is somewhere in the sad neighborhood of 170 cfm. I really think this motor has potential to crank out some serious ponies without sacrificing the great reliablity this engine is renowned for. By the way I finally found a decent ignition system for this engine Stock is ok but as usuall ford complicated the stock version with to many components and when each start to wear as they do add it all up and you have a weak ignition. heck this puppy out, it's expensive but I'm willing to give it a whirl
Ford DUI - Racing Version
again whatever I continue to learn good and bad with this engine I will always share I am excited about this engine because everyone and their dog has rodded out a v8 including me but who's ever heard of a maxxed out straight six

Gentleman with the trailer towing worries it is my opinion that you should have no worries pulling the 3 stall horse trailer the bottom end on these engines is very near the properties of a diesel

Old 12-30-2009, 08:48 PM
greyghost85
Postmaster
i wish someone would come out with an aluminum head for the old girl. mostly to cut down on front end weight

Old 12-30-2009, 08:53 PM
frankenstien77
New User
thats my plan I can machine aluminum and it's better than trying to cast a head we shall see though it may take me years to do or maybe not but the stock head design on this engine has n't really turned my crank from the get go it seems more like a tractor setup than a vehicle design

Old 12-30-2009, 08:59 PM
greyghost85
Postmaster
maybe you can get a manufacturer interested in your design

Old 12-30-2009, 09:19 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
optikal illushun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
F77, if u would have read my reply more carefully i never said it couldnt be done. i said it cant be done affordable and still remain streetable. what u are suggesting is sending this proposed build out of most peoples league. at first, u said about a fairly mild build and then added more ideas. i dont care if u take offense to what i said or not, its the truth. Col. Flashman spent a decent amount of money on his build and still only yielded about 300 hp at the crank. getting 350 streetable hp out of a N/A 300 without using one off parts of spending a lot of cash is not going to happen.

can u make a 300 turn 5,000 rpm? of course but realistically how feaseible is that? the basic nature of this engine is its low end power. having the power band moved up in the rpm range is making it less and less like a truck engine and more and more like a car engine. if u havent already i would check out fordsix dot com. they have a message board just for the big inline 6. plenty of fellas over there with decades of experneice with this engine...and one guy who uses it as his drag engine in his race cars. the same place is also working on an alminium head.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:19 PM
chilsam
Junior User
chilsam is starting off with a positive reputation.
300's

My 17 year old son has 91 bronco 300 E4OD true duals efi & loves it,torque reliable,goes anywhere.PERFECT 1st vehicle for em."Hes got his eyes on my 78 F-250 460 Holley 780 Dual Exhst Cherry Bombs T19,205,Twin D60's" Someday!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tired of the 300 bashing

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.