6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

International V.S. Ford Built Diesels

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 11:12 AM
mnmwhit
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bowie
I dont know why I check the news, I should just come here. I was going to post this article. no need. I love this site.
Keep checking the news and look for Ford press releases. What you are reading here is rumors and opinions. Nobody on here truely knows what Ford has in store for us. Nothing wrong with throwing your opinion out here for others to chew on.

Problem is, when one guy says " I THINK Ford is going to put a Flux-Capacitor in the 6.7 diesel" The next guy to read it will go to another thread and write "I HEARD Ford is going to have a Flux Capacitor in the 6.7....wonder if they will do that in the 4.4 as well?"

Before you know it this thing lie/opinion/guess will have taken on a life of its own.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:13 PM
valdor
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD
Volvo truck is its own separate entity. Ford only has Volvo cars. All of Fords diesel "partner" development is done with Rover and Peugeot...
Thankyou, i wondered about that. Figured Volvo is Volvo. Oh, Mazda did the development work on the 3.0l Euro diesel Ranger.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:03 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by The Harvester
From my experience with friends (as I haven't been able to afford one of these "new" trucks, ha ha) the International Navistar trumps the Ford Diesel 10 to 1, and I'm not saying that cause I'm an international man (I believe the Company half died when they stopped making light duty trucks, and when they sold their farm equipment line to Case) but because out of the 5 or so people who have 2000s F-250/350s, the ones with the Ford built engines (2003-?) have experienced a ton more problem, and one guy's engine even blew up on him!

I have heard from several ford men not to buy a ford diesel, and they haven't got their act together yet.
All Ford Diesels from 83-present are International motors. 6.9L, 7.3L, 6.0L, and 6.4L

Old 01-17-2009, 07:10 PM
F6Guy
Elder User
I think Volvo heavy trucks is owned by daimler benz as well as freightliner and white. Yeah it is funny how that whole rumer thing takes on a life of its own. I argue with people all the time at work that still think Ford owns cummins. That has been going around for like ten years now or longer you would think if they bought the company they would be sticking them in their trucks by now LOL. Still Ford must be spending some serious greenbacks on thier diesel project to make it emissions complient. I mean Cat is as of now no longer building on road diesel engines because of the cost of making them emissons legal.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:54 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Ahhh what I would do for a flux capacitor! Just throw banana peels and trash in the tank for fuel. I wonder how well that motor would pull a 5th wheel!?

Old 01-18-2009, 09:19 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by F6Guy
I mean Cat is as of now no longer building on road diesel engines because of the cost of making them emissons legal.
High costs for sure but Cats decision to bow out in 2010 involved contributing factors of an already shrinking share of the on highway engine market and their largest customer coming out with their own engine in 2010.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:55 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by F6Guy
I think Volvo heavy trucks is owned by daimler benz as well as freightliner and white. Yeah it is funny how that whole rumer thing takes on a life of its own. I argue with people all the time at work that still think Ford owns cummins. That has been going around for like ten years now or longer you would think if they bought the company they would be sticking them in their trucks by now LOL. Still Ford must be spending some serious greenbacks on thier diesel project to make it emissions complient. I mean Cat is as of now no longer building on road diesel engines because of the cost of making them emissons legal.

Volvo Truck Corp. is owned by the Volvo Group. Renault has a 20% share in the Volvo Group. White Motor Co. was bought in a joint venture between Volvo and GM in 1981. Volvo bought out GM's remaining 13% in 1995 to become a wholly owned subsidiary of the Volvo Group. The Volvo Group also owns Mack and Renault trucks as well as Nissan Diesel.

Ford bought Volvo cars in 2000 and uses the Volvo name under license from Volvo.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:45 PM
rreynold
Freshman User
It's a real shame that Ford did not decide to go with an inline 6 instead of the V8. I will never buy a vehicle where you have to remove the entire doghouse to work on the engine, like the 6.4s. I'm a Ford person with three in the driveway but the Dodge Cummins setup is just so much more practical and easy to work on. If you drive a vehicle 2 or 300K miles, you are going to have to work on it, be it injectors, alternators, power steering pumps, etc. V8s are practical for high-revving engines but truck diesels don't need to rev high. This is why all large trucks use inline engines. They used to have V8s but they just were not practical.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've said this at least 30 times, engine configuration does not determine how high an engine can rev. 7.3 PSDs and IDIs are low revving engines with gobs of torque. The international version of the 6.0 and 6.4 are also very low revving engines (make 600+ ftlbs @ 1400-1600 RPM). International just tuned them up for Ford to give them a bit more power, and make them more practical. I've also seen/heard of 5.9 Cummins revving upto 4500+ RPM before as well. Also, why don't you go on over to the Dodge forum, and ask them how they like working on the new 6.7

Old 01-19-2009, 01:32 PM
rreynold
Freshman User
All of the new EPA diesels are harder to work on but Dodge does not require the removal of the doghouse for access. I've looked under the hood of the new Dodges and you can at least get your arm in there. I live near Louisville and am in KTP regularly. I've actually asked some people there why they don't engineer a tilt front. They tell me that it is designed to be removed and only requires removal of 8 bolts and a bunch of electrical connections. That's provided that you have a handy dandy front end lift like the Ford dealers have, that can lift it off. If you plan on taking it to the dealer for everything I guess that's OK but I don't and won't. I understand that engine configuration does not dictate RPM range, at least in diesels. What I'm saying is that I see no reason for the added complexity and space requirements of a V8 when an inline will do the job much more simply and be much easier to service.

Last edited by rreynold; 01-19-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 01-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
V8s take up less space, length wise. If you look at any dodge, you will notice that when they are equipped with the cummins, the rear two cylinders are way in the back under the air vent lip. Those two cylinders are not exactly easy to work on either.

With the 6.4s, taking the cab off just makes things a lot easier, you can still work on the engine with it on.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:23 PM
powerstroke1350
Senior User
Originally Posted by The Harvester
From my experience with friends (as I haven't been able to afford one of these "new" trucks, ha ha) the International Navistar trumps the Ford Diesel 10 to 1, and I'm not saying that cause I'm an international man (I believe the Company half died when they stopped making light duty trucks, and when they sold their farm equipment line to Case) but because out of the 5 or so people who have 2000s F-250/350s, the ones with the Ford built engines (2003-?) have experienced a ton more problem, and one guy's engine even blew up on him!

I have heard from several ford men not to buy a ford diesel, and they haven't got their act together yet.
What an idiot...

Old 01-19-2009, 07:35 PM
jsimon724
Elder User
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by F6Guy
I mean Cat is as of now no longer building on road diesel engines because of the cost of making them emissons legal.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Origcharger said:
"High costs for sure but Cats decision to bow out in 2010 involved contributing factors of an already shrinking share of the on highway engine market and their largest customer coming out with their own engine in 2010."

If you're referring to Ford coming out with their own engine in 2010, then guess what. Cat doesn't make Ford's diesel engines, International does! If Cat makes motors for some other company and is losing that share of it's business in 2010, well then I'm not aware of it.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:05 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jsimon724
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0> <TBODY><TR> <TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset"> Originally Posted by F6Guy

</TD> </TR> </TBODY></TABLE>
Origcharger said:
"High costs for sure but Cats decision to bow out in 2010 involved contributing factors of an already shrinking share of the on highway engine market and their largest customer coming out with their own engine in 2010."

If you're referring to Ford coming out with their own engine in 2010, then guess what. Cat doesn't make Ford's diesel engines, International does! If Cat makes motors for some other company and is losing that share of it's business in 2010, well then I'm not aware of it.
I was refering to Cats largest on highway engine customer, Paccar- Peterbilt/Kenworth.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:28 AM
redfire42
Posting Guru
People keep telling me that Ford owns Cummins. Maybe this would be the best place for me to know the awnser to that qustion. I don't beleve it one bit. Someone please tell me......

Quick Reply: International V.S. Ford Built Diesels