2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will TSB help me on my warrantee claim?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:00 PM
No-Tyme
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb will TSB help me on my warrantee claim?

Hey guys I need some advise. My truck is at the dealer right now and I am told it needs a new block. I found a TSB that covers exactly my issue on my 2004 F150, and I do have the Certified Pre owned warrantee on my truck that that covers the engine. If there was a TSB put out on my truck why can’t I get them to honor the warrantee? Can’t I use this TSB to my advantage?

TSB 06-3-3 5.4L 3V WITH P030X AND/OR P0316 ACCOMPANIED BY SPARK KNOCK.
Publication Date: January 25, 2006
FORD: 2004-2005 F-150
2005 Expedition, F-250, F-350
LINCOLN: 2005 Navigator.
This article supersedes TSB 05-25-5 to update the model years, and Service Procedure
ISSUE:
Some 2004-2005 F-150, and 2005 F-250, F-350, Expedition, and Navigator vehicles equipped with a 5.4L 3V engine may exhibit the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with misfire diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0300 through P0308 and/or P0316, and a spark knock.[/font]

ACTION:
It may be necessary to replace the long or short block if damaged, and/or install latest level spark plugs.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think tsb's are just under original warranty.....anyone else know for sure?

Old 01-07-2009, 10:14 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
I think tsb's are just under original warranty.....anyone else know for sure?
I got a new pair of cylinder heads for the 4.6 in my 2002 E150 van on the basis of a TSB--BUT this was during the time of my Premium Care new car warranty extension (which was very comprehensive in covering everything)... (The early Romeo 4.6 PI motors had a problem with cooling the valves at the rear of the engine--they would make noise as a sign that something was wrong, but not kill anything for quite some time.) I was blessed to have a great relationship with my service manager and REALLY blessed to have bought the extended warranty. Cost me a $100 deductible for maybe 4+ grand of work.

A TSB is not a typically a recall nor an extended warranty, but a heads-up to service folks out there on the existence of a problem and the recommended approach to repair it. From what I recall, my TSB said that the problem would be covered IF the van was under warranty.

Still, it would not hurt to print out the TSB and use it in any of your negotiations, and this will further help make your case that there was and is a known problem. This sounds like it was not necessarily an injector problem. I would also keep pushing the possibility of the emissions warranty covering the problem (maybe not likely, but if the dealer can recover $$$ from Ford under any official program, it would make them more willing to do the work).

Continued good luck to you,
George

Old 01-07-2009, 10:16 PM
irishammer
Senior User
This is uder the heading warranty status: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

Old 01-07-2009, 10:19 PM
No-Tyme
Senior User
anything will help at this point

Originally Posted by YoGeorge
I got a new pair of cylinder heads for the 4.6 in my 2002 E150 van on the basis of a TSB--BUT this was during the time of my Premium Care new car warranty extension (which was very comprehensive in covering everything)... (The early Romeo 4.6 PI motors had a problem with cooling the valves at the rear of the engine--they would make noise as a sign that something was wrong, but not kill anything for quite some time.) I was blessed to have a great relationship with my service manager and REALLY blessed to have bought the extended warranty. Cost me a $100 deductible for maybe 4+ grand of work.

A TSB is not a typically a recall nor an extended warranty, but a heads-up to service folks out there on the existence of a problem and the recommended approach to repair it. From what I recall, my TSB said that the problem would be covered IF the van was under warranty.

Still, it would not hurt to print out the TSB and use it in any of your negotiations, and this will further help make your case that there was and is a known problem.

Continued good luck to you,
George
Well, I will certainly speak with the service manager about this tomorrow. My case has (so they tell me) now has been handed to the thrid level supervisor @ Ford Customer Relations, and I am still waiting for an answer. I just can't seem to get the zone managers contact infor from the dealer so I can push all the buttons..

Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 PM
No-Tyme
Senior User
Originally Posted by irishammer
This is uder the heading warranty status: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
Man I can't catch a break on this: I know that mt Certified Pre Owned is not the original, but is suppose to cover my drive train. If it is a know issue I can't see why Fo Mo Co won't cover the defect.

Damm I can't see laying out 6300 for a new motor...

Old 01-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I forget....how many miles on it....maybe the emmisions warranty portion can help...

Old 01-08-2009, 06:32 AM
slc10844
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I doubt if Ford will cover the entire cost. They may agree to a good faith participation and share part of the cost. Right now Ford, GM and Chrysler are having tough times and are reluctant to cover repairs especailly those outside the original factory warranty. Has the dealer rep looked at the engine and rendered a decision?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:50 AM
No-Tyme
Senior User
mileage

Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
I forget....how many miles on it....maybe the emmisions warranty portion can help...
As she sits the mileage is 46,000 and change. The Certified pre-owned has been raised from 75,000 to 100,000 in late spring of 08. I am not sure of the emmisions warrentee limits.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:56 PM
No-Tyme
Senior User
Justice served, finally

Well I feel the need to bring you all up to date with this dilemma that I have been dealing with:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/n...reply&t=809300

Old 01-15-2009, 05:56 AM
06supercrew
Senior User
Linky no worky.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:23 AM
No-Tyme
Senior User
Finally good news: I'm eating my words

Well I feel the need to bring you all up to date with this dilemma that I have been dealing with: My panties were in such a bunch over this idle issue with my 04 F150 5.4 3V that I shouted out “never another piece of s**t Ford again”.
I was first told by a dealer in Toledo Ohio that I needed a new engine; I blew my cork because my warrantee (Certified Pre-Owned) would not cover it. The Toledo dealer said the problem was caused by the #8 injector, which caused my rough idle: They said that the piston had signs of detonation on it and could not tell me the condition of the cylinder even though they did scope it, but did tell me I had a burnt valve. The TSB 06-3-3 told the story of my experience with the rough idle and it still did not help. Of course I pissed, moaned and complained about this issue (learning this tactic from my wife) matching the TSB to the letter but I was told “the injector caused the problem, you need a new short block”, end of story.
Well I decided to get a second opinion and drove off (with 2 cop’s that were left unplugged ) to another dealer. Now I agreed to let this Maumee dealer run the dynastic on the motor and see what they would tell me. I was assured I would get a straight answer and as we all do, I figured I get some other story of why my engine runs like s**t . After a day I was asked if they could pull the valve cover to take a look at the valve springs, which I agreed to. I wanted a precise diagnose of the problem and figured this was a step needed to get to that point. They still needed to dig deeper and I was asked again to go to the next step, and pull the head to see what might be the problem. I was hesitant but agreed to this, figuring I would end up just telling them to throw the parts in a box if they could not get this covered under my warrantee that I thought I had. You see I just can’t afford a new engine and wasn’t sure if I would even go the repair route with a 04. A couple of days went by and my finger nails where gone as was my sanity. A call on the phone brought me to a quite calm, as I heard the words “we found the problem”. Now as I sat down I braced myself and ask what will it cost, I was told “only your deductable”. I sat for several seconds and ask again, “what?” You see, my rough idle was caused by a problem with a keeper for the valve and that caused the valve not to seat properly. So this turned out to be a internal mechanical issue and hence, a warranted item. So in a few days I will be driving my truck, with a reman head, and out only the $100 deductable.
Was I too harsh with my disgust with Ford? Was I too soon to abandon my loyalty to Ford? Was my yearning to become a turncoat and run back to a bowtie justified? Was I asking too much for Ford to live up to their warrantee and do right by their customer? I don’t think so on the latter. But I am extremely happy that this dealer was able to determine the cause was an internal failure, and my warrantee that I thought I had, will cover the repairs. I suppose that I may not have ever known what the real issue was until I allowed the dealer to tear into the engine, which the first was too quick to judge the engine as needed a complete replacement!
My hats off to my new friends in Maumee!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 07:54 AM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good dealers are hard to find... Sounds like this one will be getting your business for now on...

Glad you got it resolved! And I'm glad it's warranty issue!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:07 AM
No-Tyme
Senior User
Originally Posted by wildcard30
Good dealers are hard to find... Sounds like this one will be getting your business for now on...

Glad you got it resolved! And I'm glad it's warranty issue!
Amen brother: The Lord of Ford dealers has made me a believer. Now the patronage begins.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:06 PM
irishammer
Senior User
There are bad dealers that give the company a bad name!!! Glad you got a second opinion!!!