Best sounding diesel ever??? - Page 8 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Best sounding diesel ever???

Old 01-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend
Dave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to behold
Wanna try an R model Mack semi with a 237 and a 5 speed grossing about 100,000 pounds?

That was right after a 6V53 with a 5x4 in an old tandem log truck.

Remember I am down in the mountains of WV, at that time I was running all around the highest mountains in WV either logs to the mill or mill products out.

The run I hated most was the saw dust to the paper mill.
Heavy loads and that old R model in low gear, it took all it could do to pull the hills.
I could walk faster than the truck would go.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:36 AM
chevenstein
Senior User
chevenstein is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle View Post
Wanna try an R model Mack semi with a 237 and a 5 speed grossing about 100,000 pounds?
Ouch! Yeah, I suppose that 5 speed would be a pain with much more weight than I ever moved with it. I think that was the key for me - we were all hauling about 20,000 pounds of corn at a time with trucks either designed for about that (the 466s) or much more than that (my Mack, the big Cummins powered IHs). The other guys got bogged down in all those gears (I usually skipped gears in those trucks when I had to drive them) but I could just shift then plant it and watch black smoke pour out the stack in the mirror as the truck pulled hills like a scalded monkey. Oh the scream the turbo made on that truck! I couldn't drive with the passenger side window open it was so loud.

I actually talked to some older guys that knew Macks at one point and they said the 237 motor and that silly five speed was Mack's attempt at making a garbage truck or municipal dump truck platform that could be driven a little more easily (less shifting) and still have some power (wide power band on the engine - 1300 - 2100 if I remember correctly). One thing they did say to me though was never to lug it, as one of them had seen that shatter a crank shaft!