1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1949 F1 Door Lock

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:49 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
From what I was told, In the 40's, when parrellel parking AND there were stores in the center of town to park at, it was illegal to open the driver door into traffic. so you pulled up the interior door handle to lock the driver side and exited out the passenger side to the sidewalk.
Just putting A door lock cylinder in the driver door will not work unless you get the complete door lock guts (reverse of the pass side) to install.
I happen to have this stuff............
Reamer

Old 12-31-2008, 07:39 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by walt460
Hey, while we are at this, anyone got a suggestion for the best heater/AC system to buy for my truck? Is there one made specifically for this truck?

It has a 1990 5.0L mustang engine with the AC compressor installed, but nothing else yet. The truck was not built with a heater and has never had one installed, Florida truck sold new in Alabama.

I checked with Vintage Air (used that system on my 1956 F100) but the only have a universal system as their suggestion.

Is there a good forum thread on this already posting here? If so, please point me in that direction. If not, maybe we should start one?

Thanks,

Walt
I used a Hotrod A/C in my truck. I used the factory compressor on the 95 4.6 engine. Hose manifold thru the fire wall and had all the hoses made for the installation. The heater and a/c work very well and I think I am going to be satisfied with it. This shows the unit mounted under the dash and it pretty much takes out your glove box. I think I will mount a radio/cd player there anyway. If you want some pictures of the finished installation I could get them.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:50 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, while we are at this, anyone got a suggestion for the best heater/AC system to buy for my truck? Is there one made specifically for this truck?

It has a 1990 5.0L mustang engine with the AC compressor installed, but nothing else yet. The truck was not built with a heater and has never had one installed, Florida truck sold new in Alabama.

I checked with Vintage Air (used that system on my 1956 F100) but the only have a universal system as their suggestion.

Is there a good forum thread on this already posting here? If so, please point me in that direction. If not, maybe we should start one?

Thanks,

Walt
I did have a picture of the lines through the fire wall. I don't know anything about Vintage Air but they are probably close to the same units.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:01 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Flatheadjohn,

Hey, thanks for the offer! I'd like to do that. Drop me a line at Walt460@yahoo.com and I hope we can work that out.

Julies,

Glove box lock?

Walt460
it was a feature of the "Five Star Extra" cab, which eventually evolved into the Deluxe Cab and Custom Cab.

I think for Bonus Builts, it was a 51/52 option only - but I could be wrong.

One more thing. Check the keys when the locks arrive, but on mine, the door locks and the glove box lock take the same key blank as the stock ingition switch.

Bill will probably blast me for that, because I believe they didn't do a single key but rather a set of two (door locks intentionally being different than ignition) but, if you are going to rekey the door locks, take you ignition key in and ask the local locksmith to rekey them to that.

I'm weird about having different keys for one vehicle - I hate it. I want one key for everything. And I'm still looking for a locking gas cap that will take that blank as well.

Heater wise, the Fresh Aire Heater was a good choice if you want to go stock. But it won't support A/C. Lots of guys have installed A/C so you will probably get some responses. You might want to start a new thread about that to grab folks attention who have experience with it.

As far as points to a good discussion, go back to the index page for this forum, in th eupper right of the page there is a box that says "search this forum." Just type in "Heater" or "Air conditioning."

When you get to the list of threads, go to the upper left part of the page and change the "priority" from "post date" to "Relevance." There will be tons of stuff!

Have fun!!!!

Happy New Year!

Julie

Old 01-01-2009, 08:29 PM
flatheadjohn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Julie, all the F-1's came with just one key that fit the ignition and the door, same with the five star cab as the glove box shared the same key as everything else also. Back in those days they kept things simple!

Old 01-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by flatheadjohn
Julie, all the F-1's came with just one key that fit the ignition and the door, same with the five star cab as the glove box shared the same key as everything else also. Back in those days they kept things simple!
I'm not doubting that John. And I used to think so too. But I got corrected on that in the "Week of Blood" by Number Dummy Bill when I asked about rekeying gas caps.

So, shoot, I guess it's not important how many different keys you carry, point is all the locks take the same key and can all be set for ONE key if you want them to be. After all this is America an we can have only one key if we want!

Julie

Old 01-01-2009, 09:03 PM
flatheadjohn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're absolutely right Julie!