Mississippi Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Scndsin

F-250 Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:48 AM
sign_man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryMc
Good job on your truck Mitch. You might have to fabricate a new filler hose location, I don't think it would be that difficult, kinda like the elanor(sp) mustang. I have a 79 parts truck if need anything off of it, just let me know. Is that a PTO winch on the front? who made it? I have one sitting in the shop collecting dust, came off a 72 bronco I sold last year, wish I still had it.
Learned to drive in the mud in our '68 when I was a kid, I miss it, but it was worn out when dad sold it. It had the 302, 3 on the tree, T-handle transfer case shifter I thought was cool, and a Koeing pto winch. Every time I run across a PTO winch for my ******, I'm always broke! Must be a curse

Old 01-12-2009, 01:50 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
I've got one if your interested, came off the above bronco, it's just the winch, nothing else.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Was the pto driven off the side of the transmission? That'd be handy for a lot of things besides a winch.

Mitch

Old 01-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
oh yeah Barry - that's NOT a pto winch in my bumper. That's a 5 gallon gas jug (my fuel tank).

Mitch

Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mitchissippi
oh yeah Barry - that's NOT a pto winch in my bumper. That's a 5 gallon gas jug (my fuel tank).

Mitch
Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do! I ran a mustang I had from a coke bottle filled with gas, couldn't go to far tho, haha

Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 PM
sign_man
Senior User
Originally Posted by BarryMc
I've got one if your interested, came off the above bronco, it's just the winch, nothing else.
Like I said, when one comes along, I'm cash poor. I'll check with you when I'm done throwing money at my '66 Mustang. I have a Ramsey 5000 on my ****** that needs some parts after a hard night of winching. I correctly sized the winch for my lil CJ-2A, but I never considered pulling out stuck friends with full size rigs and broke front axle u-joints.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Got filler neck hoses ordered from LMC. Priced a windshield - $275 with new rubber. Buyer on my GMC couldn't get the money. Gotta get it parked on the hwy with "Fer Sale" sign. See if I can snagg one off the road. Next on the list is shocks for front and temp & oil gauges.

I haven't checked the oil in any of the punkins either. Need to do that.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Brewski
Senior User
Cool project Mitch. It's come a long way. Frankly, I'm surprised that the PO correctly diagnosed the problem with the truck and thats ALL that was wrong. My luck would've resulted in a cracked engine block and a useless trans. Keep the updates coming. It's cool to see an old truck come back to life!!

Old 01-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Originally Posted by Brewski
Cool project Mitch. It's come a long way. Frankly, I'm surprised that the PO correctly diagnosed the problem with the truck and thats ALL that was wrong. My luck would've resulted in a cracked engine block and a useless trans. Keep the updates coming. It's cool to see an old truck come back to life!!
Thanks! I wanted a truck like this for some time. Had an offer on the axles for more than I gave for the truck, so I rolled the dice - and won! I was expecting EVERYTHING to need rebuilding after I cranked it. Never dreamed that I would crank it and drive it down to the mailbox and back. Scared the crap out of me when she started.

The body is a little rusty. The right front fender and the bed is bent. The right-hand door has a lot of Bondo in it. I may hammer it out and paint it one day, but I'm not shooting for a show truck.

It has been fun so far!

Mitch

Old 01-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
More progress! This weekend I got her drinking from the rear tank (no more jug on the front bumper). Had a massive leak in a short piece of rubber under the front of the bed, but that's the only stumbling block I tripped over. Drove it about five miles to the store and filled 'er up.

Old girl drives great on the road. The 4:10s keep her from being a runner, but she cruises right along at 50 / 55.

Fixed the rattle that was P!SSIN' ME OFF!!! The front bumper was bent back against the bottom of the grill. Worse on the right side. I chained it to a tree and backed up - problem solved.

'Sposed to have new front shocks in at O'Reilys. I'll pick them up tomorrow.

Still got to get the oil/water gauges installed.

Mitch

Old 01-19-2009, 03:58 PM
sign_man
Senior User
Remember to change the fuel lines to new ones that can take the corn juice in the gas nowadays.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:47 AM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Originally Posted by sign_man
Remember to change the fuel lines to new ones that can take the corn juice in the gas nowadays.
That hasn't even crossed my mind Phil. Not sure if what they're selling me at CarQuest is corn-patable or not. I'll find out. Meanwhile, I'll see what I can find on the subject here on FTE. Thanks for the heads up!

Got new shocks put on the front tonight. It only had one on the right side when I bought it. I could bounce the left side pretty easy. Didn't take her for a test drive, but I can't bounce it much at all now. Cain't wait to get home tomorrow and see how she does on the road.

Mitch

Old 01-28-2009, 06:31 PM
mds47588
Senior User
When I got my '86, I could literally bounce the front end with just pushing down lightly on the hood. Night and day difference when I replaced the shocks too. Kinda falls into the "Why didn't I do this soon" category, along with so many other parts added.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Mine does feel stiffer with the new shocks. I have a deposit down on a half ton body that I'm thinking about swapping over to it.

Mitch

Old 02-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Added a new clutch pedal pad and new door strikers. I have to pull on the doors a little to open them, they seems to be loosening on up. Man, they sure shut better! And they do not rattle as much. I let my muddy boot slip off the clutch about 2 seconds before I was ready and decided I'd better splurge for a pad.

Made her earn her keep this weekend hauling limbs and tools and jumping off the tractor.

She's gonna be quite handy.

Mitch

Quick Reply: F-250 Project