Notices

What the FAA has to say about alcohol in fuel

Old 12-29-2008, 10:15 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
Well, I did some more digging into the FAA's bulletin and guess what? Its about automobile gasoline use in planes. In 1982 the FAA added the Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) which allows certain planes (such as many Cessna's) to use automobile gasoline, which costs less.

The bulletin was put in place to warn STC pilots not to use automobile gasoline in these planes if it contains ethanol and automobile gasolines containing MTBE or ETBE are acceptable.
gasolines containing MTBE or ETBE are acceptable.

Neither the EAA STCs, nor Petersen Aviation STCs, allow the use of automobile gasoline containing alcohol ethanol or methanol). Automobile gasolines containing MTBE or ETBE are acceptable.

Automobile gasoline containing alcohol is not allowed to be used in aircraft for the following reasons:

• The addition of alcohol to automobile gasoline adversely affects the volatility of the fuel, which could cause vapor lock.

• Alcohol present in automobile gasoline is corrosive and not compatible with the rubber seals and other materials used in aircraft, which could lead to fuel system deterioration and malfunction.

• Alcohol present in automobile gasoline is subject to phase separation, which happens when the fuel is cooled as a result of the aircraft’s climbing to higher altitude. When the alcohol separates from the gasoline, it may carry water that has been held in solution and that cannot be handled by the sediment bowl. 2

• Alcohol present in automobile gasoline reduces the energy content of the fuel. Methanol has approximately 55 percent of the energy content of gasoline, and ethanol has approximately 73 percent of the energy content of automobile gasoline. The greater the amount of alcohol in the automobile gasoline, the greater the reduction in the aircraft’s range.

Recommendation

We recommend that you do the following about operating airplanes using automobile gasolines:

1. Use automobile gasoline that conforms to the specifications listed in the airplane flight manual or automobile gasoline STC flight manual supplement:

a. Verify the fuel has the proper octane rating

b. Verify the fuel has the allowable oxygenates: i. Automobile gasolines containing MTBE or ETBE are acceptable. ii. Automobile gasolines containing alcohol (methanol or ethanol) are not acceptable, unless specifically approved by the TC or STC.

2. If you are unsure about the presence of alcohol in your automobile gasoline, the following test can be performed:

a. Using a glass or chemicalresistant plastic (such as TPX) container, mark ten equally spaced volumes. A graduated cylinder is ideal; however, a non-tapered glass jar, such as a large (quart) olive bottle, will work.

b. Add one part water (approximately 100 ml) into the container, fill to the first mark, and then add nine parts (approximately 900 ml) of automobile gasoline, fill to the top mark. Shake thoroughly, let stand for 10 minutes or until automobile gasoline is again bright and clear. Record the apparent level of the line between the automobile gasoline and water.

3. If alcohol is present in the automobile gasoline, the water will absorb it, and the amount of water will appear to increase, indicating the automobile gasoline should not be used in the aircraft.

However, if the water level remains the same, no alcohol is present in the automobile gasoline, and it can be used in the aircraft.

4. If you cannot obtain automobile gasoline that conforms to the specifications listed in the airplane flight manual or automobile gasoline STC flight manual supplement, use aviation gasoline conforming to ASTM specification D 910.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:44 PM
beef producer
New User
beef producer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tennessee can fine you up to $10,000 for running dyed fuel in any over the road vehicle and they do spot check trucks.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:32 AM
pmasley
I Be The Instigator
pmasley has a brilliant futurepmasley has a brilliant futurepmasley has a brilliant futurepmasley has a brilliant futurepmasley has a brilliant futurepmasley has a brilliant futurepmasley has a brilliant futurepmasley has a brilliant futurepmasley has a brilliant futurepmasley has a brilliant futurepmasley has a brilliant future
They can spot check you in WV too. I have already been through two of them. When the fuel problem happened after Katrina, the restriction was lifted in this state for running dyed fuel. I did have to use it for a while.

Once the dyed fuel is put in your vehicle, it is there permantly. You cannot get it out unless you completely tear down the system and flush it, and replace certain componets. Well, now several years later, when I change my fuel filter, it still comes up with red dye in it. Sorry DOT, I am not spending over grand just to tear down the system and flush the dye. That is what I told the last inspector. It sorta pissed him off, but there is nothing he could do. His sample showed clear, but the filter check showed the dye. It seems that the dye melts into the plastic lines and is slowly release until the plastic lines are replaced.

Nope, NADA, Ain't gonna do it!

Old 01-02-2009, 06:14 PM
MisterCMK
Avid Winter Hater
MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
One must remember that the farm lobbyists are not the same as your family farmer...

Old 01-04-2009, 06:21 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
jake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by FTE Ken View Post
Some bobcats
I checked

gehl's site,
case's site
new holland's site
John Deere's site
bobcat's site

NH's smallest skidsteer is gas with a diesel option.

I think new gas equiptment in this size equiptment and larger is dieing off.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:54 AM
icrman
Senior User
icrman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah funny stuff. The reason for them adding alcohol is to reduce the miles per gallon, and force ya to buy more gas. Its all just that simple. Just talk to anyone that uses it in a race car, you have to enrichen the mixture way more than what it is for gasoline to get the power.
And then theres the affinity it has for water, lots of stories on the news about big repair bills from that.