Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

03 F250 Overdrive Opinion with Slide in Camper?

Old 12-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Catch This
Junior User
Catch This is starting off with a positive reputation.
03 F250 Overdrive Opinion with Slide in Camper?

I have a stock 2003 F250 4X4 Superduty - 6'ft bed -5.4L gas. I just put a Lance 845 Slide in Camper that weighs 2049lbs empty on the truck. On my first excursion which was approximately 200 highway miles, I used the speed control. The sweet spot seemed to be around 62mph. It appeared to me the the tranny would downshift on the slightest incline. At first, I didnt pay much attention, but the more I think about this, the more I question shouldn't I be taking it out of overdrive when the camper is on. I know that if I am towing I should take it out of overdrive. Is that also true for hauling a slide in Camper? My other big observation was that mileage dropped from around 13MPG to 9.5MPG. I would appreciate the thoughts and experiences of others on this board. Thnx

Old 12-20-2008, 02:42 PM
dkf
Post Fiend
dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
You added over 2k lbs and a lot more wind drag with the slide in so I can see the drop in mpg. I would use overdrive just don't let the trans hunt. I can tell when my truck needs to shift empty and when pulling. When loaded at the base of the hill I'll usually turn the OD off until I'm done climbing the hill and turn OD back on. You just don't want to let the truck "hunt" between 3rd and OD.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:43 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
Once a gear is locked, the trans should be fine. I believe the reason to lock out OD is too keep the trans from shifting a lot and building up extra heat. Heat will kill a trans rather quickly. I am pretty sure you should have a trans temp gauge, keep an eye on it and if it runs much hotter, lock out OD.

The camper is going to change your drag coefficient, more so if it is taller than the cab. Basically you're pushing a bigger brick down the road which takes more power. You may want to experiment with and without OD and at different speeds to find one that gets the better mileage. For upgrades, perhaps a valvebody/shiftkit, airbags/RAS/add-a-leaf, and the normal power adders like CAI, Exhaust, and tuner.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Pocono Super Duty
Senior User
Pocono Super Duty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Catch This,

Send me a privite message if you want to know more. I have a 2004 F250 with a 5.4L and haul a Lance 845 for the past 2 years. Not sure what rear you have but mine has a 4:10 and it has known to make a difference.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Catch This View Post
I know that if I am towing I should take it out of overdrive.
Why is that? Ford doesn't say that. This transmission was designed to tow and haul using overdrive.

If you are getting frequent shifts in and out of overdrive then you should turn it off. Frequent shifting will get the trans hot and cause a lot of wear, too. If it will go down the road and stay in overdrive there is no reason to turn it off.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Catch This
Junior User
Thnx guys for the responses. I do have a transmission temp gauge and the transmission has not been overheating. It just seems do downshift more than it should on the slightest of inclines. Downshifting on steep hill is completely understandable.

Mark, I could have sworn, the manual on the 250 said not to tow in overdrive. I remember specifically my previous 150 said no towing in overdrive. I will have to recheck the manual on the 250.

Pocono, I would like to pick your brain relative to your experiences with the lance and will pm you. I have a bunch of Family stuff Sunday, so no message till Monday.

Again, Thanx guys, I do appreciate the responses.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:38 AM
Pocono Super Duty
Senior User
Catch This,

I'm heading down to Florida for the holidays with the camper Tuesday night so if you PM me I'll get back to you when I get down there.

Jim

Old 12-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Catch This
Junior User
Does this forum have PM Function?

I went to PM Pocono Superduty and do not see a email button or link. I went to FAQ and found
"if you can not find an email button or link for a member, it either means that the administrator has disabled email functions for this forum, or that the member in question has specified that they do not wish to receive email from other members of the forum."

I looked him up in the members and there was no PM link or Email link.

Does this mean the forum does ot have PM?

Old 12-22-2008, 02:51 AM
Pocono Super Duty
Senior User
Catch This,

Click on my screen name, then click on "view public profile", then to the right you will see in blue letters "send privite message" or "send e mail".

Old 12-22-2008, 03:07 AM
orng1
Postmaster
orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.
2000lbs is nothing, I have had around 4k and it does well with it in OD. Like they say just hit the button if it starts going back and forth to much.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:59 AM
browntown3
Senior User
browntown3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
speed or "Cruise" control is going to make it downshift more than if you manually press the gas...........you can ease off or build up speed before you hit hills when you manually press...............i cant stand cruise controls for that fact, they drop it down and the rpms fly when you go up the slightest hill............just something to think about i wouldnt think you would need to turn OD off with that small of a load too.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Catch This
Junior User
Pocono,
I surrender. There is no email link. I have searched everthing on this page and on on your profile. There is no pm or email link; clearly there is a quote link, multiquote, and quick reply, but there is no email or pm link on my screen. I have checked this from 2 different computers and two different ISP's to confirm. Checking FAQ again, I see what the email link looks like but it is not showing on my page. Perhaps I do not have enough posts to PM?

I would like to talk with you. Can you email at [email protected]. I can send you a list of questions and/or call you. If we dont connect, have a great trip!
Thanks

Old 12-22-2008, 08:39 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
Old 12-22-2008, 10:54 AM
dkf
Post Fiend
dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
I think you have to have 25+ posts to use the PM function.

The way it sounds the OP has 3.73 gears in his truck. My truck came with 3:73s and I don't like them.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Catch This
Junior User
25 posts ....makes sense, I only have 12...

and yes I have the 3.73 limited slip differential.
Thnx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 F250 Overdrive Opinion with Slide in Camper?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.