300 inline dual exhaust, behind axle exit kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 11:51 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
300 inline dual exhaust, behind axle exit kits

Hello--

I'm wondering if anyone know where to find/order a 2 1/4", header back dual exhaust, rear bumper or behind the rear axle exit exhaust kit.

I found one on Summit Racing, but before I could buy it they all went out of stock. Now I can't find one anywhere.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Dr. Dirt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that this question would be better asked in the Inline 6 forum.

click here www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum52.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:32 PM
flcracker9
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you already have headers on it, or are you planning on installing them?

Old 12-22-2008, 09:01 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
I have the headers in the box. Once the block is back from the machine shop, and assembled, and all the linkages, ignition is in, etc., then I'll tackle the exhaust. Do you have any tips or ideas to help the process?

Old 12-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Alvin in AZ
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know nuthin'bout it. :(
But I have a question tho. :)
Would a kit really be any cheaper than going to the local exhaust shop?

BTW, 300's rule and it's cool to hear you've got headers for it...
What else did you do?
What cam?

Alvin in AZ
360FE no headers

Old 12-22-2008, 09:27 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Alvin--

I wasn't thinking about saving $ with a kit. The engine is being built at a residence, and without a kit or exhaust of any kind, I would have to tow or trailor it to a shop to have the exhaust welded up. I was hoping to avoid that hassle and extra expense.

So far the engine is going .o30 over, with over-size 327 SBC valves, Mild Isky cam, lifters, springs, rocker arm studs, ported and polished head, matched ports, Offy dp intake, Autolite 4100 4V carb rebuilt by Pony carbs, milled and/or decked block for higher compression, and the stock electronic HEI distributor, recurved and completely rebuilt (although I'm thinking about a DUI or Mallory Unilite unit), and Hedman headers with the locking fasteners. And oh yeah, the custom, polished aluminum Clifford valve cover which I'm sure will add at least 25 hp. And that leads us to the pistons which I haven't figured out yet.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:39 AM
flcracker9
More Turbo
Sounds like a solid build you have going there. The only reason I asked if you already had the headers was because my experience with headers on the 300 was all bad. They do make a little more power and torque, but they constantly leaked, and they were a royal pain to replace the gasket. I finally trashed them and went with the dual EFI manifolds, and I'm much happier with them, they are maintenace free, and you don't lose that much torque with the manifolds. I did have to trailer mine to the exhaust shop for a custom exhaust. I think you should stick with the Dura-spark distributor, it will provide plenty of spark for what you need. There is a cheap conversion that uses your stock distributor, but also uses a standard 4 pin GM style HEI module to replace the problematic Ford ignition box, and when used in conjuntion with a late model Ford EFI coil, provides all the spark you will need, good for up to 6500 rpm? (gofastforless.com). I also love the carb choice!. I run a Demon 525 4 barrel, but the Autolite 4V should work great. It's basically the same as the Motorcraft 2V, with the addition of 2 secondary barrels, and we all know what a great carb that is. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Dr. Dirt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when I redo my exhaust I was either gonna go with headers or EFI manifolds. after what you said flcracker9 I think the manifolds are the way to go. what exhaust are you running flcracker9?

*EDIT* - flcracker9, I just noticed in your sig you forgot the "n" in manifolds.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:43 PM
PerfDistIgnition
FTE Sponsor
Originally Posted by F-250 restorer
Alvin--

I wasn't thinking about saving $ with a kit. The engine is being built at a residence, and without a kit or exhaust of any kind, I would have to tow or trailor it to a shop to have the exhaust welded up. I was hoping to avoid that hassle and extra expense.

So far the engine is going .o30 over, with over-size 327 SBC valves, Mild Isky cam, lifters, springs, rocker arm studs, ported and polished head, matched ports, Offy dp intake, Autolite 4100 4V carb rebuilt by Pony carbs, milled and/or decked block for higher compression, and the stock electronic HEI distributor, recurved and completely rebuilt (although I'm thinking about a DUI or Mallory Unilite unit), and Hedman headers with the locking fasteners. And oh yeah, the custom, polished aluminum Clifford valve cover which I'm sure will add at least 25 hp. And that leads us to the pistons which I haven't figured out yet.

If you decide to get a new distributor, consider our custom curved Duraspark Distributor built with our new Full Length Oil Impregnated Bronze Bushing. The full length bushing improves timing stability and spark scatter. If stock appearance is not an issue, take a look at our one piece D.U.I. Distributor. Whether you choose the Duraspark or the D.U.I., we curve each on a distributor machine based on your engine combination. Please see them at:
http://performancedistributors.com/forddistributors.htm
Also, there is now an excellent installation article on the D.U.I. Distributor on the Ford-Trucks.com site at:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/358/article/DUI_Ignition_Installation_In_A_Ford_351W_V8.html

Old 12-23-2008, 02:06 PM
flcracker9
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Dr. Dirt
when I redo my exhaust I was either gonna go with headers or EFI manifolds. after what you said flcracker9 I think the manifolds are the way to go. what exhaust are you running flcracker9?
2-1/4" pipe from each mainifold to a 3" Y at the firewall, then 3" all the way back exiting behind the right rear tire with a 5" stainless steel tip. It looks just like the exhaust on my 03 diesel. At first I didn't have any muffler on it, just a straight pipe. It was a lot louder than I thought it was going to be, but it really turned heads. After the novelty wore off (a couple of months), I installed a 3" stainless Silverline Turbo Pack bullet style muffler, and it quieted it down just a little bit. Still turns heads when I stomp the go pedal!. My gallery shows some pics of the exhaust.