Sponsored by: DP Tuner

John Wood Tranny Testimonials

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 01:08 PM
60RatRod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
John Wood Tranny Testimonials

Well, A lot of you know I have a reverse problem, and i dont think its going away. So Being a CA native I'm considering a John Wood Trans. Just thougt I would start a thread for John Wood Testimonials. You Know just to get an idea before dropping the green. I read about BTS everywhere but kinda have'nt heard much about John Wood. I'd rather save the shipping costs and apply them to the R&R. So if you have a John Wood Trans how happy are you?

Old 12-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Meatco1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan below is a post I wrote about John's transmission rebuild for me more than a year ago. Probably more detailed than the PM I sent you earlier today.

I have a 7.3 2001 CC 4x4 with the 4R100. I had some issues with the trans. downshifting while towing. It felt as the engine was racing between shifts (in other words slipping), otherwise the trans felt normal when not towing.

In any case, I'm in the process of moving to Colorado from California (and those Mountain passes do get steep), so rather than take chances, I thought I would just have the trans rebuilt before the next trip back there

I called the two people who are well known for doing some of the best jobs on trans rebuilds. John Wood and BTS. I spoke to both of them, and decided that I would have John Wood do the trans. on this truck (after all, I'm only 200 miles away from his shop!).

Well, I'm EXTREMELY happy with my choice of builders.

I made the appointment a couple of weeks in advance, and showed up on time, to have it rebuilt that day. (one of the nice things about Johns shop, you're right there to see exactly what's being done to truly improve a stock trans.)

When they started taking the trans. apart, it was apparent the trans was not long for this world. It had started coming apart by itself, before the rebuild. The snap ring had already broken, and it was just luck that I made it to his shop.

While there, I watched as John custom made numerous different parts for my trans. He takes the time to get on his lathe and turnout truly custom parts that you can’t buy from Ford. John manufactures his parts to the exact tolerances HE requires. He also takes the time to explain why the trans failed, and why it won’t be having that problem again for a long, long, long time.

He also backs his words up with a terrific warranty.
At any rate, while there I decided to have him install a gage set, and toss in a DP Tune with 20, 40, 60 tow, 80 Econ, and 120 Race as well.

I can tell you, when I drove out of his shop at 5.00pm that same afternoon, it felt like I was driving a new truck, one that had a ton of power (very, very, noticeable from the get go!), and shifted far better than it did, even when new.

Want to talk about CUSTOMER SERVICE? John offers it in spades. Frankly, I felt as if he was a valued friend by the end of the day.

Although it's a 400 mile round trip to his shop, it was well worth the drive to me. And I'm sure I'll be doing it aging soon for a few extras in the near future.

I guess what I’m trying to say, is when you see just how much knowledge this man has about the Ford Power Stroke trucks, you know you can trust him to get the job done right the first time (unlike some places I’ve been to in the past)!

John Wood has few equals when it comes to building a quality trans. If you are located anywhere in the Western United States, John Wood is your man.

If on the other hand you are in the South, I would not think twice about giving BTS a call for the same type of knowledge, service & warranty.

In any event, you won’t go wrong with either of these men, as they know their business, and they know it extremely well!

Good luck

Richard

As you can see, I was (and still am) impressed with John's knowledge & skills with these trucks. As a matter of fact, I'm on my way down to his shop this Friday, to have him change out the pinion seal, and service the tranny while I'm there.

Since my first visit there, I've crossed the Rockys 19 times (crossing at Monarch Pass), and been towing a 9000 lb trailer on each trip over. The transmission John built for me has never skipped a beat, and feels as strong now, as it day the day he built it.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:28 PM
60RatRod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great testimonial Richard,
I did'nt realize he could do all the extra stuff like the DP tune,etc.. Which tranny package did you get? i.e. Towmaster or something better? I will be using my truck in the exact same manner crossing the rockies with about 9K behind me.
Thanks Dan
I sent you another PM

Old 12-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Meatco1
Senior User
Hello Dan:

PM sent, responding to each of your questions.

Can't go wrong with one of John's transmissions!!

Richard

PS: Alamosa, CO is just too darn cold for me!! Earlier this week -30 at night. Make sure your glow plugs are working, block heater is in order, and put plenty of additive in your fuel.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Meatco1
He takes the time to get on his lathe and turnout truly custom parts that you can’t buy from Ford. John manufactures his parts to the exact tolerances HE requires. He also takes the time to explain why the trans failed, and why it won’t be having that problem again for a long, long, long time.

Yep.

He also backs his words up with a terrific warranty.
At any rate, while there I decided to have him install a gage set, and toss in a DP Tune with 20, 40, 60 tow, 80 Econ, and 120 Race as well.

Yep, again.

I had him add a 6.0 trans cooler and a torque converter lockup switch.

I can tell you, when I drove out of his shop at 5.00pm that same afternoon, it felt like I was driving a new truck, one that had a ton of power (very, very, noticeable from the get go!), and shifted far better than it did, even when new.

It's a great feeling!

I've posted the following a few times now, but since you're looking for testimonials, it's apropos to post it again:

When I decided on JW, I drove the 9+ hours down to Johns shop and had him install one of his hand built, custom machined 4R100's.

I didn't get one of the monster transmissions he custom builds for the desert racing teams down in his area. A transmission able to withstand monster torque, while at the same time perform in, and handle, 120+ degree heat, while racing in the desert.

Nah, I opted for a bullet proof tranny and billet converter that will handle towing 10K+ lb trailers, while also enhancing all the performance, "go-faster" mods I have on the Excursion, and plan on bolting on, in the near future.

I basically got his entry level 4R100.

Want to talk about CUSTOMER SERVICE? John offers it in spades. Frankly, I felt as if he was a valued friend by the end of the day.

Yep, he gives you his private cell number and tells you to call him if you need to.

Although it's a 400 mile round trip to his shop, it was well worth the drive to me. And I'm sure I'll be doing it aging soon for a few extras in the near future.

583 round trip miles for me. 9+ hours of driving, one-way.

John Wood has few equals when it comes to building a quality trans. If you are located anywhere in the Western United States, John Wood is your man.

Very, very few equals.

If I lived anywhere in the US, JW would be my choice, without second thought or hesitation.

If on the other hand you are in the South, I would not think twice about giving BTS a call for the same type of knowledge, service & warranty.

I've said as much, before, in other threads. But for me, I don't care where I am, JW is my only option

As a matter of fact, I'm on my way down to his shop this Friday, to have him change out the pinion seal, and service the tranny while I'm there.

I'm hoping to be down there again in January, for some live tuning with Jody.

Stewart

PS - When it comes time to replace the tranny in my F250, I'll be back at JW's shop getting another one of his masterpiece builds.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:44 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is there any difference in price between the two kings of trannies?? I want the bullet proof one day..

Old 12-19-2008, 10:12 AM
uliman
Senior User
Very Happy with my JW trans; I also had his mobile mechanic (I was stuck at Bishop, CA with a blown tranny) install a brand new 6.0 cooler. John went out of his way to make sure I was taken care of and I love the new tranny. Shifted hard at first but when I got the DP Tuner things smoothed out quite a bit. He had me put in Lubrication Engineers full synthetic tranny fluid which sells for $10 a quart so I am not looking forward in changing it at 15k which is what he recommends.

Very high recommendation to John.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Meatco1
Senior User
Big Poppa:

Give both John & Brian a call, tell them what you'll be using your truck for, how much HP you'll be running, and let them recommend which tranny you will require. With that information, you can price shop.

Respects,

Richard

Old 12-19-2008, 05:15 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Richard. BTS is closer to me but i'll call both those guys.