Nova Scotia Join Chapter, Leader:

Hey East Coasters

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 03:03 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey East Coasters

Hey east coasters, time to make some noise in this chapter! Lets hear from some of ya, what ya do, what ya drive, whats your favorite hockey team, hell what color socks your wearing!

Old 12-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Sorry, no one Leaf`s fans here either.
I`m guessing it`s Sens, Oilers, Van and afew Flames maybe but not likely any Leafs.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:41 AM
northeaster79
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't watched hockey much since the big strike,poor them.any of you rother guys in the trucking industry?

Old 12-05-2008, 10:51 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
I am a truck driver/rat holer out in the oil field in alberta (currently off due to an acl injury) and this past summer I bought a dump truck that I am going to try and get a little work with in saskatchewan for this winter, when I get cleared.

I have a passion for the heavy trucks too. My dad has been involved in trucks ever since I was a kid, and they grew on me!

What about you?

Oh and as for hockey, Im a leafs fan, but I dont watch it all the time either. Sucks watching them lose all the time haha.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:58 AM
northeaster79
Elder User
well when I did watch it I was a leafs man but maybe when the young fella gets older and into hockey it might come back to me.I run the shop for connors transfer,grew up working at the local kennworth dealership my dad and cousin owned,there pretty well breed into me,what do you think of that new law in PQ and ONT.the governing at 105,think that will fly?

Old 12-05-2008, 11:07 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Im actually not familiar with a new law, but I think I have heard about it.

As a driver, i feel that physically governing a semi to 105 is kinda dangerous. Anyone that has driven up and down steep hills can tell you how nice it is to be able to wind that truck up abit (speed wise) to be able to get to the other side of the hill better.

Also the whole trouble while passing. Some semis need to go under the speed limit due to the load, driver ability, and weather conditions. Thats fine and dandy, but the problem comes when another semi (say empty or more experienced driver) comes rolling up behind and wants to pass. That can take along time when your governed at 105. I think it becomes abit of a safety issue.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:18 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here in Ontario right now, the only trucks that AREN'T governed at 105 (65mph) are Quebec trucks, owner operators, and a few US trucks. Most company fleets are governed for fuel economy. One of my friends drives for SLH (Sears) and they are governed at 98. He rarely passes anyone.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:25 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Now 98 is seriously nuts! I guess I can see the fuel part of it, but if a guy is an owner/operator, you bet that most of them will be aware of how fast they are going for their own fuel costs!

Are you a driver Chad?

Old 12-05-2008, 11:29 AM
northeaster79
Elder User
well our trucks are being governed for the new laws now,but they do have a rewards program set up for the guys that keep there truck under 110 and keep the idle time down,but now I'm into having to govern every one of hour 60 + long huals at 105 .some seriously unhappy drivers.but your right they should be governed,I think it should be 105 appossed to 105 but you see the trucks that run for the bonus and drive wise and the millage is better,the tires last longer and the overall maintnence cost are lower.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:36 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
The maintenance and tires are always one thing I never have first though tin my mind. Im used to driving someone elses truck and when tires need to be changed, they get changed, not on my dime! When there is maintenance, unless its something small, it gets done at the kenworth dealer in edmonton.

I can see some good in governing though. There are some drivers out there that will cruise by you in a semi at 140, and that crap needs to stop. A responsible driver doesnt NEED a truck governed, but I guess there are alot of irresponsible drivers out there!

Old 12-05-2008, 11:43 AM
northeaster79
Elder User
your right about resposable drivers,I downloaded on a few weeks back and the top speed was 113 mph,that truck was instantly governed.I'm no putting down any company drivers,but your right on the "not my dime theroy" and thats one thing I say to some that come in and want tires long before they are need,or don't care about the unneeded wear that they put on the trucks.if they had to pay for any of it they would change there driving habbits.I am all about cost per mile,thats part of what I do here.and the responsable drivers you can tell there trucks as soon as you see them anyways.yes 98 kmph is rediculous and dangerous as far as I'm concerned,and the 105 I can see driving in ont/pq due to there speed limit of 100kmph,but when most of the rest of the countrys speed limits are 110,you can't even due the posted limit,which in my opinion is dangerously obstruckting traffic.but I a man can go on a rant about this stuff all day and none of us would be right.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:53 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Since I got my own truck, my awareness of how I drive is definatly going to change too. I know Im not that bad for the "not my dime" bu im not innocent of it either. When it comes to it I just dont care how much fuel its gonna take. I go to a ufa an esso, or petro can, and fill up!

With my own its a whole different ballgame, and i havent even really began with it yet

Speaking of cost per mile, if you ever want to give a guy tips on how to improve that cost, I am all ears!

Old 12-05-2008, 12:03 PM
northeaster79
Elder User
so what is this dump truck you bought?engine,tranny and such.we have done allot of small things,webasko bunk heaters,the type of tires we run,once you get into winter fuel its hard to save on,and where your running a dump truck its fairly different then running reefers but I'm sure I can give you some advice that will help,always willing to share info man.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:19 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Cool

I bought an older dump truck (CHEAP!), form a ritchie brothers auction in prince george BC.
1987 western star.
Its got a cummins 444 in it (not typically known for being the best engine I know!) 8ll tranny in it, not sure offhand what the rear end ratio is.
It does have grippier more offroad tires on it right now. Truck runs and drives good, smokes a little white on startup, which I was told alot of the old cummins did. It actually got around 9 mpg (empty) on the trip back from prince george to saskatoon sk. I thought I didnt do too bad with it on fuel!

So far the only thing I have to do to it is change one stud on the right front steer.

Im always looking for advice, tips, tricks and whatnot with the older trucks!

Old 12-05-2008, 12:32 PM
northeaster79
Elder User
well theres no shame for 9mpg,not these days considering some of our egr 60 series are getting 5 to 6,sad huh.the old 444 wasn't as bad of an engine as it was made out to be,good one for a 10 wheeler,the 8ll I wouldn't be my first choice in trannies but if the price was right well what can you do.and your not going to have much choice as to run grippers doing what you'll be doing with a dump.a big thing that will cost you is repairs.I asume you can do a fair bit yourself?and if so thats what will keep you afloat this day in age,next to fuel and tires on the road repairs is our biggest cost.as long as your easy on gear and take care of it,doing as much as you can yourself you'll make out ok.do your own oild changes,grease,small stuff that adds up.tires aren't going to be as big an issue with you as they are with us do to all the highway.I would go with an ST230 steer tire though for what your doing,solid shoulder,16 ply good wear on that sort of application.if your going to be doing your own work figure buy your parts and supplies direct,don't go to your local KW or FL go to traction,or palmar.not sure if you guys have them out there,but your heavy truck parts supplier.I can do some digging for you if you like in your local area and see where shops are getting there best prices.

Quick Reply: Hey East Coasters