1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

High Temp 4 degrees & decreased MPG + loss of power = ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 06:52 PM
jyblood
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Temp 4 degrees & decreased MPG + loss of power = ???

As for the truck, it is a 2000 F350 7.3 PSD Dually. I have had the truck about a year. It has about 120 K miles. Only major problem since I had the truck was loss of the water pump. As for me, a wantabe/newbe mechanic so just learning.

The last two tanks, my MPG has gone from 15-16 MPG down to 10-11 MPG. I have recleaned the EBS tube, but it looked fine. I put in a new oil, oil filter, and a new fuel filter the week before my mileage tanked. The truck seems light in power, and the engine sounds "tinny". It is almost as it is lugging.

As far as other factors, since this has happend, the weather has gotten a might bit chilly ( high of 4 degrees F, low -6 to -10 degrees F ).

Just for a reallity check, especially since I have just been running around town recently ( too many idiots on the road that have forgot that white stuff means slow the same as it did last winter ), I did a highway road trip. I drove 90 miles and put 9.2 gallons back in the tank. It was not exactly highway type driving in that, even with my constitution, I was getting a pucker factor at about 45 MPH, which was way too fast for the conditions. The trip was continous though and not start/stop driving. There was no place I could safely stomp on it without ending up over an embankment, but the truck did seemed power challenged.

Any hints/help would be appreciated.

TIA, Fred ( jyblood@nwi.net ).

Old 12-17-2008, 07:29 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fred, there is so much more to look at. Check your up-pipes for soot. Check your IC pipes for leaks. The blended diesel will take mpg away. Make sure you have a good additive in your tank. Some will be around to give more info.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:45 PM
jgoebel
Freshman User
I've lost 3mpg on my truck when it got cold 27-23f that abouy right when it gets cold out I put lucas it help little bit blended fuels help with this problem to need winter one

Old 12-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I always see a drop in MPG in winter as well. Our stations change over to winter blend about Oct/Nov. Not sure about your area but the winter stuff yields lower MPG's Someone a lot smarter than me can explain that. Plus, a big factor for me is the truck idles a bit more to warm up. Diesel Kleen in the white bottle is a good additive for winter fuel and preventing gelling.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Also locking in the hubs for 4wd for winter driving conditions also draws down your mileage.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokin'
Also locking in the hubs for 4wd for winter driving conditions also draws down your mileage.
Ahh, excellent point. Mine are locked now but I should unlock them. Not expecting snow until the weekend.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:15 AM
greedy737
Elder User
Below 45 mph, if you have an auto. Your truck is most likely not in overdrive also! At thoughs times I miss stick shift! At least fuels lower in cost now!!

Old 12-29-2008, 06:29 PM
jyblood
Freshman User
Problem found:

Snout on the air intake box was 90% plugged with snow/ice that was frozen solid. Dethawed and the truck is running good. Guess it is time to upgrade to a AIS.

Thx's for the help, Fred ( jyblood@nwi.net )

Last edited by jyblood; 12-29-2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Can't Spell
Old 12-29-2008, 06:34 PM
beer boy
Senior User
dont forget to check the intercooler pipes and hoses. a small leak there can affect the mileage and power as well. make sure your air filter is clean.
cheers.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:34 PM
beer boy
Senior User
opps i was typing when you posted...lol
good find.