'01 3.0V6-engine shut-off while driving/won't start, just clicks

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Billy22
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '01 3.0V6-engine shut-off while driving/won't start, just clicks

Hey all

I have a 3.0 V6 2001 Ranger. A few months back (I'm only now getting around to trying to solve the problem) I started it up and it was running very loudly, it sounded like it had something to do with something the belt was running around. I drove it for about a mile (~35mph) then the engine shut off, but the power stayed on. I haven't been able to restart it since. The solenoid/starter clicks when I turn the ignition, but nothing else.

Anyone have any ideas? Seeing as how it clicks when I turn the ignition it would seem as though its the starter. But if it's the starter then it doesn't make sense that the engine shut-off while I was driving (at least from what I know). The battery was fully charged at the time, even after the engine shut-off (I don't know if it is anymore).

Old 12-17-2008, 03:45 PM
matt's2.9STX
Elder User
Sounds like something wrong with charging. Belt slipping on alternator fits best from what you said, but also sounds like a weak battery as it should have been able to run longer. When you switch on headlights, vent fan to high, radio, etc, does everything seem at full power? The alternator itself could be bad with a bearing seizing up, so don't waste to much on a belt until you post more details or get it checked. Probably know right off within a few minutes poking around under the hood though.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Billy22
New User
So when I got to it today the battery was completely dead. I switched out the starter and the battery and it's up and running again.

I know the belt was fine b/c I dealt with that in the spring - got myself a gatorback. It only made the really loud running noise the one time when it cut off. It still seems odd that the engine cut off while driving if it was the starter. the battery was fully charged when it happened, but apparently has lost its entire charge since it's been sitting in the lot for a few months.

it's working fine now. we'll see how that goes.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:14 PM
matt's2.9STX
Elder User
I'm missing something here. Your replacements don't seem to fit the problems so far. Except for the battery, which you probably figured right. When they sit for while with no charge cycling, they can die or weaken. But since you had it running, it should have been able to run off the alternator. Maybe you have an electrical short which can lead to some funny noises. I probably wouldn't be much help on this engine as I haven't heard many lately of that build. But a lot of FTE guys here have.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:39 PM
piotrsko
Elder User
it has been my experience that when battery voltage goes below say about 10.5 volts, the PCM goes into self preservation mode and shuts down since low volts can fry computers just as easy as high volts.

that is why all the accessories would have worked, but it just went "click".

Perhaps you had a bad battery going flat, but I'd also get the alternator checked

My $.02 your mileage can and will vary

my boys new love 86/87/88 ranger XLT ( same truck long story)

Old 12-17-2008, 08:31 PM
matt's2.9STX
Elder User
OK, here's the wierd part: why the starter? I've noticed a lot of guys having all kinds of trouble with Ford starters & they've banged on them endlessly cursing about Ford starters. I've never had one go bad. It's always something else - say a bad wire or clamp. If you bang on it & kill it, sure. Otherwise the original likely better than a replacement. That goes for GM, too, but those DO go bad pretty fast usually from cat heat...
Not saying all's lost from giving up the original. Just make sure whatever's installed gets the power it needs.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Billy22
New User
matt -
I agree the replacements don't fit the problem. that was the primary reason it took me several months to get around to fixing it because I figured it wasn't something easy to pinpoint & didn't have time to find the source of the problem nor did I want to pay a mechanic to replace part after part trying to figure it out. (or pay a mechanic at all, I should say)

I don't know if this can explain it or not - one thing I haven't mentioned is that the starter & solenoid were caked in oil residue. I don't know anything (yet) about the inner workings of starters but it may be that oil somehow got inside the starter or solenoid and caused a short(?). of course, that also seems odd because I don't see how oil would cause a short since it doesn't conduct electricity, unless it got in-between two things that have an electrical connection, and prevented that connection from happening. that's the only alternative explanation I have at this point.

it had been several months since my last oil change but it was covered. not a leak, but appears that the mechanic who changed the oil wasn't very careful when he took off the filter which sits right above the starter. sadly, I have to resort to someone else to get my oil changed because I don't have the means to do it easily where I'm living now.

it's been about a day since the replacements and everything is still in order.

and I'm really unconvinced that it may have been the alternator because the battery was still fully charged after the engine cut-off and the truck wouldn't take a jump-start.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:44 PM
matt's2.9STX
Elder User
Ahh, yeah, oil can kill them - probably ruins several things such as windings varnish, then leads to short. I would think the starter should not be shorted while driving down the road though unless it didn't disengage. You'd hear a loud whine from it as it turns faster & longer than intended. That messes starters up too. But you should still have the alternator checked. Most shops should be able to test it on the truck. Call it cheap insurance. If you got it started & drove average speed enough at 35 mph without pulling too many amps, say road lights, headlights, vent fan... It's supposed to be able to run off the alternator until you stop somewhere. That reminds me. Don't go too far right after an issue like that. If the battery doesn't take a charge while it runs, you're up a creek 30 miles from home. Good that it quit close.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:39 AM
mitch_c
Junior User
The starter is supposed to have a funnel-like oil collector that is positioned between the starter and oil filter, to divert the flow of oil away from the started when changing the oil... and avoiding giving the started an oil bath.. If yours doesn't have one, best be careful when changing oil, or find one.

Mitch_c