1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering an '09 Soon -- Questions

Old 12-17-2008, 01:26 AM
seminaryranger
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Ordering an '09 Soon -- Questions

Hi
I've been a member of this forum for a while, but never post much. I always read the Super Duty section because I've wanted one of these trucks for about 5 years.

Now I'm actually ready to get my own. 95% chance I'll custom order an '09.
I'm wanting a 4x4, CrewCab, short-bed, 5.4L, 6-speed, 4.10LS equipped truck.

I'm having trouble picking the trim level, though, and need a little technical advice.

1) Does the XL lack anything like additional sound deadning, glove box light, cluster gauges... than the XLT or FX4? I know some Rangers didn't have a tach which was, well, tacky and cheap. The lack of carpet is OK, but a cheap feeling truck without sound deadning or a tach is not OK.

2) Does the rear bench in the XL CrewCab fold up so that cargo can be loaded into the rear of the cab?

3) If I select the "Power Equipment Group" on the XL trim, will the doors automatically lock? If so, can this be disabled?

4) Same for the XLT, if the doors lock automatically can that feature be disabled? My dad's new Chevy cannot completely disable the automatic door locks.

5) "Beltminder." (I think that's what it's called) Can it be disabled? I drive in the pasture checking cattle, getting out to open gates frequently, etc.

6) If I order the manual-shift transfer case, will I also have true manual locking hubs (and not the Auto-Lock position hubs)? I sometimes need to use 2-Low for slow speed manuvering.

7) In the "Heavy Service Suspension Package," what lb.# springs would be used in said truck? In comparison to "normal" springs?

8) Which package yields the heaviest front spring, "Camper Pkg," "Heavy Service Susp Pkg," or "Snow Plow Prep"?

Sorry for all the questions. The dealers around me are all small, usually only carrying a few of trucks, about 50% 2wd. What I can see on the lot is pretty limited. I appear to be a minority buyer.

If you could answer even one question, I'd be thrilled. I suspect that we're all "car" people here and care about the little things that make out truck OUR truck. I have a pretty good idea of what I want in my new Super Duty, and I plan on keeping it 10 or more years.

Thanks in advance for helping me visualize my new truck. Any picks, especially the interior of an '08-09 XL or XLT, would be helpful.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:51 AM
taken
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom ordering is the way to go if you can handle the wait. I'm 3 weeks into a 12 week hitch. Some nights I think I won't make it but with the love and understanding of my wife, I make it through. (She tells me to stop obsessing and change the subject or SHE WILL.) I can tell you that the beltminder can be disabled via the following info originally posted by beerstalker:

BeltMinder
One time disable
Any time the safety belt is buckled and then unbuckled during an ignition ON cycle, the BeltMinder_ will be disabled for that ignition cycle only.

Deactivating/activating the BeltMinder permanently:

Read Steps 1 - 5 thoroughly before proceeding with the deactivation/activation programming procedure.
The BeltMinder_ feature can be deactivated/activated by performing the following procedure:
Before following the procedure, make sure that the following conditions are met:
• The parking brake is set
• The gearshift is in P (Park) (automatic transmission) or the neutral position (manual transmission)
• The ignition switch is in the OFF position
• All vehicle doors are closed
• The driver’s safety belt is unbuckled
• The parklamps/headlamps are in the OFF position (If the vehicle is equipped with Autolamps, this will not affect the procedure)
While the design allows you to deactivate your BeltMinder_, this system is designed to improve your chances of being safely belted and surviving an accident. We recommend you leave the BeltMinder_ system activated for yourself and others who may use the vehicle. To reduce the risk of injury, do not deactivate/activate the BeltMinder_ feature while driving the vehicle.

BeltMinder_ activation and deactivation procedure
1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN (or ON) position. (DO NOT START THE ENGINE)
2. Wait until the safety belt warning light turns off. (Approximately 1 minute)
• Step 3 must be completed within 60 seconds after the safety belt warning light turns off.
3. At a moderate speed, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt 9 times, ending with the safety belt in the unbuckled state.
• After Step 3 is complete, the safety belt warning light will be turned on for 3 seconds.
• If Step 4 does not occur within 10 seconds at the end of Step 3, BeltMinder_ will automatically exit programming mode without changing its enable status.
4. Within 10 seconds of the light turning on, at a moderate speed, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt.
• This will disable the BeltMinder_ feature if it is currently enabled. As confirmation, the safety belt warning light will flash 4 times per second for 3 seconds.
• This will enable the BeltMinder_ feature if it is currently disabled. As confirmation, the safety belt warning light will flash 4 times per second for 3 seconds, followed by 3 seconds with the light off, then followed by the safety belt warning light flashing 4 times per second for 3 seconds again.
5. After receiving confirmation, the deactivation/activation procedure is complete. <!-- / message --> <!-- sig -->

I'm sure the rest of your questions will be answered in short order! Congrats on the new truck and let us know what you ordered.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:55 AM
taken
Senior User
Originally Posted by seminaryranger
Now I'm actually ready to get my own. 95% chance I'll custom order an '09.
I'm wanting a 4x4, CrewCab, short-bed, 5.4L, 6-speed, 4.10LS equipped truck.

PS: I'm sure I'm not going to be the only one to tell you this, but for $600 you can have the V10. Reports vary but most say the mileage is VERY close to the 5.4 and almost it is almost unanimous that the power is is worth much more than $600!

Old 12-17-2008, 07:30 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,400 Likes on 997 Posts
The belt minder in the 08's and up can be disable permantly as well and the auto door locking. Best to get the XLT or Fx4 package in my opinion. All crew cab trim levels you can raise the rear bench seat and use it for whatever. When you raise the seat there is a metal shelf that unfolds to give you a level steel surface.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:40 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With the XLT maybe the FX4 model you get door pockets, power heated mirrors, power windows/locks, upgraded seats etc,,,and yes get the Manual shift transfere case,,come's with manual locking hubs,,,in my opinion,,the only way to by a 4x4 truck !!! That 2 wheel low option works great for backing up heavy trailers,,,I have used it many times !

Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 296 Likes on 156 Posts
As far as I know, heavy-service suspension bumps the springs up one level all around.

Good luck with your purchase

Old 12-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The camper package gives you "heavy service front springs", which I believe is the same as the heavy suspension group. It's my understanding that plow springs are heavier yet. You likely won't know what springs though until the truck is built because it's all based on the options and configuration of the truck, i.e., crew cab 4x4 short bed will be different than crew cab 2wd long bed, etc. You'd have to have a truck with similar options and configuration to know exactly what springs the "computer" selects for your build with the plow, camper or heavy suspension. Hope that makes sense.

Also, I realize you didn't ask, but as someone else mentioned, the V10 is only about $600 (that's MSRP). Not a knock against the V8 gas engine, but for $600 it's probably the best value Ford offers.

Sounds like a nice truck, good luck.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:21 AM
seminaryranger
More Turbo
Thanks for the heads-up.

By digging through the forum, I see that the plow package seems to add the heaviest suspension. I don't need that heavy of a spring for my application. But, a moderate upgrade (say to the Heavy Service Pkg) might be just what I'm looking for. I'd hate for my new truck to sag in a couple of years.

Good to hear about the BeltMinder and AutoLock features.

I'm strongly leaning toward an XLT at this point. It's just too bad a cloth bench isn't offered with that trim level.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Jimmy63
Junior User
Don't forget, clearance lights are only $55 on your truck order. Be sure to select the mirrors that you want. Back up sensors are a great addition too.
The same sound deadning goes in to every trim level. It is a very quiet truck. Do note, you will loose a little mph with the 4.10 rear end.
If you do not have a sales brochure with all the options and trim levels, be sure to hit the Ford web sight for one. You can "build" your truck online too.
Here is a fun link to Super Duty factory. Enjoy!
2008 Super Duty - A Truck is Born | Ford Vehicles

Old 12-17-2008, 11:26 AM
akford351
Posting Guru
The V8 is no slouch, but in a crew cab I would go V10, 4.30 LS gearing doesn't hurt either...

With an XL you will get sealed beam headlights and steel wheels, neither look that great really.

I had 'snow plow prep' springs (5200lb) and thought they were too soft. Heavy duty suspension ones are softer yet. Good aftermarket shocks, like bilsteins, may help out though.

Congrats on getting a new truck!

Old 12-17-2008, 12:04 PM
JKBrad
Received 799 Likes on 585 Posts
Originally Posted by seminaryranger
1) Does the XL lack anything like additional sound deadning, glove box light, cluster gauges... than the XLT or FX4? I know some Rangers didn't have a tach which was, well, tacky and cheap. The lack of carpet is OK, but a cheap feeling truck without sound deadning or a tach is not OK.
You can order the XL with power windows and locks (auto lock disable procedure is in the owners manual)

It can be odered with an appearance package that gives you the better headlights along with chrome bumpers.

The only way to get the fold out load floor in the rear is to order the flex-fold seat. That way you get the same cloth seats as an XLT.
Flex-fold is nice with little kids too. You can fold the floor out, then put the seats down so the kids have an easier step into the back seat.

Some things to consider when ordering an XL.

If radios matter to you, you can only option a single disc CD with 4 speakers. BUT, it does have an AUX jack and you can get sat radio.

If you don't order the 265/70/17 tires, it will come with 245s and will look like it's rolling on 4 spare tires. The 265s are decent BFG Rugged Trail T/As by the way.

The new trailer tow mirrors have awsome visibility. If you order the power windows/locks on an XL ,and you go for the towing mirros, you get the heated/power adjust (not power fold) with signal lights.

If you go to FordDirect.com - Get A Free Price Quote, Build Your Vehicle, Search Dealer Inventory, View Pricing Details, Compare Trims, See Latest Incentives And Offers and build an XL with the options listed vs an XLT with no options (granted, a lot of that stuff is standard on an XLT) you will still come in about $2,000 less on an XL.

A 5.4 with a 6 speed and 4.10s sounds like a nice set up to me. I've always liked the vinyl floors too.

Like a few here have said, a V10 is only $600. But the set up you're wanting should give decent fuel mileage and last a good long time.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:11 PM
windellmc
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe the front bench seat is standard in XLT and XL. I think it may even be available in Lariat trim.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:19 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Try this link to the '09 order guides also. It can answer some of your questions regarding the trim levels, equipment, etc.

http://www.sunrisefordfleet.com/pdf_...er%20Guide.pdf

Old 12-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
get the nicer interior option..

the plain jane XL def. doesnt have the same level of sound deadening the higher lvl trucks have..

if ur custom ordering ur truck to the degree u are, u might aswell treat urself to a nicve interior.. after all you'll be spending all ur time looking at it..

def. go with the manual hub/trans. delete option.. you'll be happy down the road knowing u did,

and i also agree with springing for the V10.. the extra HP/Torque come as a nice bonus for such a small extra cost...

p.s. im also jealous..of anyone who can order a 08 or newer SD.. i want one so bad...

Old 02-02-2009, 06:59 PM
seminaryranger
More Turbo
I Did The Deed

I would like to thank everyone who was able to shed some light on all the options available. This is a huge purchase for me and my wife, and we wanted to make sure everything was just right. We're 10 year vehicle people... that's too long to have it only "good enough."

So, I pulled the trigger and ordered a brand new 2009 Super Duty.
Here's a view of the Vehicle Order Confirmation

Page 1

Page 2

Now for the wait.
I'm guessing it'll be 8 weeks?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ordering an '09 Soon -- Questions