2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

alignment

Old 12-15-2008, 06:45 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alignment

I would like a kinda quick advice for tomorrows visit to the dealership, if anyone feels like it

My recently acquired 07 EB EL w/16K , bought Pre-owned (kinda like used, but more sophisticated ). I didnt like the steering effort and very slight feathering of the fronts. Also just wanted the alignment checked, doubtful that it had ever been checked. Overall, I am very pleased with this vehicle, including the power of the 5.4. The gearing makes this engine perform well.

Alignment guy says passenger side is considerably off (dont recall deg exactly--seems like it was ~ 8) believe it was castor.

Service guy says OEM bolt/cam mechanism (I dont know exactly what they look like--yet) will not correct that range. In further questioning by me, Serv adv says that the OEM setup is not adjustable (What the------). Therefore I need this alignment bolt kit that does both sides. I hesitate to laugh at them because I dont exactly know what the front end setup looks like.

"Shore" would like some input if I can get it
TX

Old 12-15-2008, 10:57 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
maintanence item

Sorry to double, but I forgot to mention in my post that these "adjuster bolt kits" are not covered in any of the warranties, they are considered maintenance items, you know, like belts and hoses. Maybe I am actually getting "hosed" and giving them ~ $200.00 to do it. Is this what they call "rough sex"??

Old 12-16-2008, 10:57 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems pretty technical. I would post a Q at flatratetech.com in the ford section and ask them.

I had my truck aligned within the first 1,000 miles-it drifted to the left-and they did a good job, no problems. The ContiTrac tires are junk, you should rotate them every 5K miles as they will wear strange even with perfect alignment.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:05 PM
jbhford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, our '06 4x4 seemed to be fully adjustable w/o a kit. Our first alignment on the '06 was at our regular tire shop, which is a very good shop btw. The second alignment was at the dealership and made a world of difference ($70-$80). Getting the rear axle aligned right is crucial to these vehicles and not a lot of the local shops are not as familiar with the setup as the dealership is.

From my experience, I don't see how the '03 - '06 Expys are much different from the '07+ models, but then again I haven't had the '07 in for an alignment yet. If it takes $200 to make it right and drastically improves the driveability, then it is worth it.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:44 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
I am really curious to see how much this alignment helps. It was not bad, except I thought the steering effort was a little too much, especially the first movement of the wheel in either direction. I replaced my 93 bronco ball joints a while back and had to get a new set of "cams" for it, so I cant visualize what they are talking about on the Expy. I am just curious about the idea that there are no adjustments in the front alignment as it comes from the factory. In fact, I find that very difficult to believe. If thats the case, I would not take delivery of any vehicle (Ford) from a dealer without first having the alignment checked. Being a maintanence item, and having to have these parts before alignment can be adjusted, if you dont check it before drivin off, then you "bought it" and will have to pay for these adjusters.

Kind of a moot point, because I left the Expy at the dealership this morning and am waiting on it now. I agree that whatever the case, it needs to be done. Hopefully someone will be able to "Edumacate" me about this after the fact ----probably make me feel even more stoopid.

It is troubling because we supposedly got a "deal" on the extra warranty package. Sure hope we dont find out that the engine or tranny is a "maintenance" item

Old 12-16-2008, 02:00 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by benshere
I am really curious to see how much this alignment helps. It was not bad, except I thought the steering effort was a little too much, especially the first movement of the wheel in either direction. I replaced my 93 bronco ball joints a while back and had to get a new set of "cams" for it, so I cant visualize what they are talking about on the Expy. I am just curious about the idea that there are no adjustments in the front alignment as it comes from the factory. In fact, I find that very difficult to believe. If thats the case, I would not take delivery of any vehicle (Ford) from a dealer without first having the alignment checked. Being a maintanence item, and having to have these parts before alignment can be adjusted, if you dont check it before drivin off, then you "bought it" and will have to pay for these adjusters.

Kind of a moot point, because I left the Expy at the dealership this morning and am waiting on it now. I agree that whatever the case, it needs to be done. Hopefully someone will be able to "Edumacate" me about this after the fact ----probably make me feel even more stoopid.

It is troubling because we supposedly got a "deal" on the extra warranty package. Sure hope we dont find out that the engine or tranny is a "maintenance" item

I think they are lying to you. You can adjust the alignment as my was.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:13 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
wrong parts

It appears I will get the chance to investigate their claim further. Once again, they have told me that they recd the wrong parts. They say they have made some adjustments and want me to "drive it" and see how it does, "if" needed, they will order parts---once again and fix it.

I have news, it "aint" gonna drive O.K.! They have made a mistake in telling me that it cannot be adjusted enough to correct the specs. It simply does not add up. I will insist (I can be a nasty old SOB---lots of practice ) on the new "adjusters". Only I will be more informed as to what the adjuster is and what it looks like. I have also turned too many wrenches to let this one slide.

I still would be happy for more input from all you "experts"

Old 12-16-2008, 06:46 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
answers

Just got back from dealer. After direct questions to writer, I have a clearer understanding of what they are talking about.

The "adjuster" is apparently similar to the old "bolt with an eccentric washer" welded on. The lower control arm inner on my 70 mustang uses the same thing. They are only adjustable within a very few degrees, over that requires a bolt/washer assy with the correct range. I still have questions about how one side got an adjuster that was so far out. Either it came OEM like that, or one was put in for some reason. Obviously, it was not correct, whatever the case was.

I have first hand experience with Ford putting in "equal to or better" quality (their definition) on a vehicle from the factory. What it boils down to is if the production line runs out of the box of "A" bolts, then they will put in "B" or "C" bolts if they will fit just to keep moving and let the dealers deal with the problem. I am pretty well convinced that is this case. With 15.5K on the clock, and a lease vehicle at that, doubtful it has ever had the alignment checked since delivery. Problem is that somewhere down the line, some poor slob (that would be me in this case!) will have to foot the bill to correct because it is called a "maintenance" item, not covered by warranties. If I ever buy a new vehicle or even a warrantied used vehicle from a dealer, before the money leaves my fat little fingers, the alignment will be checked, corrected, and I will see the printout.

Hindsight, being what it is, I think I would have it checked, then buy the bolt and install it, then have it re-aligned.

Sorry to be so long winded, but maybe it will benefit someone else when facing the bill. (It is going to cost me ~ $200.00 for the parts and labor). Appreciate the input so far.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:06 PM
jbhford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the edumacation.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:17 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
edumacation

Seems I am the one needing one!

I crawled under my expy today for a look-see. First thing I learned was that I need to lose weight----around the belly area . The adjuster is not as I expected, not exactly an bolt w/welded eccentric washer.

SLA (short/long arm) front suspension. Coilover shock, not the same as a strut. The frame is not a "C" style like my Bronco, fully enclosed and looks to be very healthy. The "Y" pipe appears to be almost mandrel bent, not badly compressed in the bends. Healthy looking cats and muffler. The 6 speed tranny dosnt have much depth to the pan, most of the oil capacity must be above the pan parting line. It is also not as long as the E4OD but appears to be deeper. The location where the fill/check tube is appears to be there, but has a hex blanking plug screwed in. When this thing get 100K + looks to be lots of room underneath for me to get to things----if I lose some weight--.

I sure would like to see some parts views of the front end components, dont know where other that begging the service dept for a look. I hope NumberDummy can enlighted (kinda like Edumacate) me on the different #'s for the alignment adjusters--, maybe he has his "ears" on. TX