1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Notice: Moving Back South ! ! !

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 02:02 PM
FORDGRIP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Notice: Moving Back South ! ! !

Got an early XMAS present last tuesday. My better half called me by 8AM to tell me her position was eliminated and she would be home shortly. So we will be leaving the snow and cold of MI on the 22nd and suffer out the winter in SC ! ! ! Was born, raised & lived in WI for 50 years so no I won't miss the weather here. Will love opening the door from the house and seeing the 51 paked in the garage any time I want. Will leave a lot of freinds after over 5 years of living up here but now they know they have a place to visit and stay, if needed, to vacation where we average 300+ days of sun a year ! ! ! Will change my sig next weekend.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:08 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Can I come with you?! I've lived my entire 45, next week it'll be 46, years in this God forsaken part of the country. You're either cooking with 90º+, 80% humidity and mosquitoes that keep you hostage in your house for 4 months or you're freezing your tail off with 0º temperature for another 6 months. If you're lucky you might get a month of weather that isn't completely wet between the two. I made a mistake of marrying a farm girl, she'll never move. I'd move in two minutes if I had a chance.

Good luck on your move, I sure wish I could come along.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:12 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Cool FORDGrip now I have somewhere to visit when me and the wife go to Myrtle Beach in the fall.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Awesome, have a great Christmas!

Old 12-14-2008, 05:00 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome back to the Southern side of heaven! I was born, raised and lived in Buffalo for 32 years before finally getting smart and leaving the snow capital of the world. This is now "HOME", and that other place is "where I came from".
Here snow is something you watch out your livingroom window while sipping warm drinks since everything shuts down until it melts away. I don't even own a snow shovel, a pair of boots or a set of snow tires.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:03 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tHAT A WAY!! I too go south for the winter,and have a ranch in Florida to hold up for in the winter,and stay warm. Not sure when I will go this yr.,and last yr had to stay in Oh. all yr cause of surgery and pain issues.
I like to go south 1st of Jan. and hope to again this year,after I get alittle more truck work done.
Good luck to ya in the Carolinas and take some sunscreen...haha......Bill

Old 12-14-2008, 08:06 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I to gave up on the great northeast {FONDA NY} after55 years and moved to northeast Ga. The neighbors have been me telling how cold it is,days 50s nights {,I am in the house.}I will take this any day over teens,and I drive the panel almost every day.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:25 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
STOP!!! You guys are killing me. I'm going to be stuck here for the rest of my life.

I tell my wife, and any one else who will listen, that if I could I'd build a time machine and go back to when my ancestors came from the old country. I'd find them at the time they reached the bottom of Lake Michigan and were scratching they chins trying to decide whether to go left or right. I'd come right up behind them and kick them square in the a$$ and tell them to left. Of the 300 million acres this country is comprised of my stupid ancestors had to go north.

I once heard the perfect idea and some day I hope I can do it. I want to buy a brand new 4X4 with a nice big snow plow on the front. I'd then start driving south and the first place where some one asks what the plow is for I know I will have found the place I want to live.

All you guys enjoy driving your trucks, I'll just go out to the garage and take a look at mine, that is if it's not too cold. and I don't have to shovel snow away from the doors.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Mr Mayo
Bring out the best!
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
STOP!!! You guys are killing me. I'm going to be stuck here for the rest of my life.
Ditto.

Right now, it's -14 with a 20-mph wind and 8 inches of fresh snow blowing around. Tomorrow night's forecast is -24. I've endured 53 winters here on the plains, and I'd go south in a heartbeat. My wife just says "you'd miss the winter". Yeah, right, like a chapped......

So, good for you, FORDGRIP!

Old 12-14-2008, 09:31 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Mr Mayo
Ditto.

Right now, it's -14 with a 20-mph wind and 8 inches of fresh snow blowing around. Tomorrow night's forecast is -24. I've endured 53 winters here on the plains, and I'd go south in a heartbeat. My wife just says "you'd miss the winter". Yeah, right, like a chapped......

So, good for you, FORDGRIP!
Miss winter?! That's like when you tell some one that if you won the lottery you'd quit your job the next day, that person will tell you you'd get bored if you didn't have your job. Like he I'd miss working. I know I could find something to do, I wouldn't get bored. Work on my trucks and not worry about where I'm going to get money for truck parts. When I got bored with that I'd take a trip to look for more trucks and parts. I'd keep myself busy, and not with work.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:11 PM
FORDGRIP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob only 4 years to go for the 50 and out clause I took in 95. You really have to try hard some XMAS's to get in the mood with sun, no clouds, sitting on the deck by the water (inland), in shorts, drink (cold one) in one hand & grilling with the other. Tough work but someone has to do it. Your welcome to stop in anytime to help me practice. Just PM or email ahead to make sure we'll be there. Goes for you too Donald.

In one of your posts I read exactly where in SE WI you were but I forgot, d*mm memory first thing to go right after something else but I can't remember what. All three of my children still live in upper Washington county. I try to get up there at least once a year or so. Would like to stop by to meet you and see your shop & trucks.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. May you all have a MERRY CHRISTMASS & a HAPPY NEW YEAR ! ! !

PS They do turn the furnace on at 50 down south.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:19 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Gary,

I live in southern Washington county, Germantown. I was born and raised in Milwaukee but went on a blind date 21 years ago, 10 months later I was married and moved to G-town. I'm a city boy but now I'm on a 100 acre farm with 50+ cows, 125+ chickens and a dozen cats.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:59 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Congratulations! I was born and raised in Cincinnati but left to join the Navy right out of high school...that's how I came to be in San Diego. A move when you're young is so easy but when you're older it's much more appreciated. Good luck in your new home...

Old 12-15-2008, 08:32 AM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Gonna be 80 here today with 6" of warm sunshine on the ground...

Old 12-15-2008, 08:38 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to the sunny South. You guys need to have a talk with your neighbors that are moving here in droves. We do know what a snow plow is (we get the weather channel) but we don't spend our tax dollars on something that we may need once every three years. There is a reason everything shuts down when it does happen to snow. It just doesn't make sense to buy all that equipment for an event that just doesn't happen that frequently. Us southerners are okay with that and understand the trade off. The new arrivals from the North can't understand why the roads aren't immediately plowed once we get 3 inches of snow. Down here it's a snow "day" and not a season. The sun and warm temps are just hours away from returning (not months) and it does a pretty good job of clearing the roads and you can't beat the cost. Please educate your neighbors as I need my taxes to stay low enough so I can pour that $$ into a money pit I call a 54 Ford.

Quick Reply: Notice: Moving Back South ! ! !