1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4R100 Bypass Tube Kit, need some input / advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:07 PM
svspeeder
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question. The bearing ball in the bypass line, is it installed on the trany side of the spring or on the bult side of the spring. Also can I eliminate the the trany fluid going thru the radiator and just use the trany external cooler? Will it cool the trany fluid enough?

Old 04-21-2011, 02:25 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
The original 99's did not have the oil-to-water cooler in the bottom radiator tank, and only had an oil-to-air mounted.

They added it to the 2000's because they had problems with inadequate cooling.

They don't ADD one cent to the cost of production if it's not necessary.

I wouldn't second-guess all those engineers at Ford.

Pop

Old 04-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
The original 99's did not have the oil-to-water cooler in the bottom radiator tank, and only had an oil-to-air mounted.

They added it to the 2000's because they had problems with inadequate cooling.

They don't ADD one cent to the cost of production if it's not necessary.

I wouldn't second-guess all those engineers at Ford.

Pop
Thats right Pop. Sounds like something my old auto shop teacher back in high school used to say.
The auto engineers spend millions in research, they're not going to add a bypass if it had no purpose. Everything is there for one reason or another.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:20 PM
svspeeder
Freshman User
99 ford e 250 bypass line on transmition

Ok, I finaly got around to ordering the bypass line for the tranny. Upon inspection ot the part, I notice that one of the bolt(smaller one) is packed with grease. Should I remove the grease or just leave it in and the trany fluid will do the rest? I dont want it to mic with the trany fluid and case any damage or if i leave it in will it act as an obstructiion in the line?

Old 06-17-2011, 07:41 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
That grease might be there to stop corrosion while it sits on the shelf.

I don't think it would be a good thing to let flow through the lines.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:26 PM
svspeeder
Freshman User
So far I have changed my bypass line, filter, and oil on my 1999 e250 tranny. I am still getting a little reving of the engine on 1st gear. I loaned my friend my van because his auto was down. He had it for a few months. After a while he jokingly told me he drove with the over drive off because it saved more gas. I never heard of that. Before I gave him the van to use, it ran fine untill I got it back. Would running with the OD distroy the tranny? Is it possible that the torque converter is bad? How would I check the TC? I am weighing all my odds before replacing the tranny. Reverse is fine.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by svspeeder
I am still getting a little reving of the engine on 1st gear.
What do you mean by "a little revving of the engine on first gear?"

Originally Posted by svspeeder
After a while he jokingly told me he drove with the over drive off because it saved more gas. I never heard of that. Before I gave him the van to use, it ran fine untill I got it back. Would running with the OD distroy the tranny? Is it possible that the torque converter is bad? How would I check the TC? I am weighing all my odds before replacing the tranny. Reverse is fine.
Neither running with the overdrive on nor off (you post is quite confusing on which you mean) will hurt the transmission. Running with the overdrive off will just burn more fuel, it won't hurt anything except the wallet of whoever is paying for the fuel.

It's possible that anything is bad. I need more description of what is wrong before I can even guess if there is something wrong.

If the torque converter is bad it will be bad in all gears, not just first gear.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:33 PM
svspeeder
Freshman User
hello Mark. I apologize for the confusion. I was writing the post from my phone. This is the situation. Before i loaned him the van it ran fine, switch gears fine and everything. The problem tarted after i got it back. I drove it down into town about 20 mile. It ran fine going but while i was in town with it, i noticed that when i step on the gas to move off, it would rev a little before the van started to move. as i started heading back home, i noticed it reved even more before moving off. On the highway back home it ran fine until i exit off then the reving increased before the van moved off. I havent driven it since that happened for fear of doing more damage to the trany. last week i changed the oil and filter and install a new bypass line because the old one sprung a leak. I noticed that when i put it in gear, the tranny dont ingage like it do when i put it in reverse. And the situation is more noticable when i let the van warn up somewhat. the reving of the engine i am refering to is not a high reving when the engine is cold. hope this help clarify.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:13 AM
svspeeder
Freshman User
tranny bypass line

Can someone tell me if the tranny bypass line should be warmer than the cooling lines going to the radiator. What temp should it be running at.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I want to know why the tranny builders wont chime in on this subject? I believe WE should hear both of their reasons for keeping and not keeping the bypass line. As i stated above i had had mine in for almost four years and my tranny is still living strong.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:07 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Since the bypass valve stays closed all the time unless the resistance to flow in the cooler circuit exceeds the bypass pressure threshold, all the flow is SUPPOSED to go through the cooler lines, and none through the bypass line.

The cooler line out (front-most) should be warmer than the bypass. If not, you are in an abnormal condition. That can be caused by two things.

1) The cooler circuit is blocked by crud of some kind, and won't allow fluid to flow through.
2) The bypass valve has failed and is stuck open, allowing the cooling fluid to immediately return to the rear port without being cooled.

To test it, remove the REAR cooler line (the return from the coolers) and stick it into a bucket. Run the engine for 15 seconds. You should have at least 32 ounces of fluid in the bucket, and NO fluid coming out of the open trans port. You might want to put a pan under that port, as you will most likely have fluid coming out in your situation.

If everything fails the testing, how do you determine which reason is causing the problem? You need to somehow block off the "banjo-bolt" of the rear bypass tube, and repeat the test. I've found that a couple of steel washers, a couple of rubber washers, and a bolt and a wing-nut make a suitable blockage device. If you then get your 32 ounces, it's the valve, not the coolers. If not, then you have a legitimate cooler blockage, and the valve is just doing its job.

Here's a valve repair kit if the valve is the problem:
http://www.sonnax.com/system/instruc...605-02K-IN.pdf

Pop

Old 07-27-2011, 10:00 PM
svspeeder
Freshman User
trany bypass line

the check ball that i see is in the return fitting bolt.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:32 AM
svspeeder
Freshman User
1st & 2nd gear solinoid

Can anyone tell me what the symptoms of a bad or going bad 1st & 2nd gear solinoid valve are and would they be hard to change out on a 4TH100 trany? Ford e250, 1999

Old 08-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
The symptoms on a 4R100 (I don't know what a 4TH100 is) would be problems making the 1-2 shift, if it will make the shift at all. It's easy to change once the pan is off.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:39 AM
svspeeder
Freshman User
Your right, 4R100. Is it one solinoid for each gear? I have changed the oil&filter, and bypass valve. I have yet to check if the fluid is going thru the bypass valve instead of the cooler. The symptoms improve when I changed the above parts (the engine would rev slighty before 1st gear engage. Also when in Drive and on an slight incline, the van would roll back if I release the brake untill I give it gass). I think it would be a cheaper fix to change the solinoid before reverting to changing the trany. Your input is very helpfull and appreciated.

Quick Reply: 4R100 Bypass Tube Kit, need some input / advise