Sponsored by:

Whats the biggest windshield wiper you can fit on the X

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 11:35 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by robbragiel
Right now i'm running stock size but I also recommend putting RAIN X on the windshield. That stuff works GREAT for shedding water.
It does but it is a PITA to put on for our trucks. I would recommend that if you are already there, put it on THICK and a couple of times.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:55 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by aklim
It does but it is a PITA to put on for our trucks. I would recommend that if you are already there, put it on THICK and a couple of times.
Just open the door and stand with your feet on the floor board leaning over the winshield and your body wedged between the door and A pillar. Piece of cake.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Dan Reinbold
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am running 24" on the front and 18" on the rear. 18" is as big as you can go on the rear. Using Michelin Stealth wipers all around and was soooo impressed with them that I bought a set for the Windstar. This will be the second Michigan winter w/the wipers on the Ex and first with the Windstar. So far soo good.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Reinbold
I am running 24" on the front and 18" on the rear. 18" is as big as you can go on the rear. Using Michelin Stealth wipers all around and was soooo impressed with them that I bought a set for the Windstar. This will be the second Michigan winter w/the wipers on the Ex and first with the Windstar. So far soo good.
And it doesn't hit the outlet to the windshield washer fluid hose?

Old 12-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Dan Reinbold
Senior User
Originally Posted by aklim
And it doesn't hit the outlet to the windshield washer fluid hose?

The 18" Michelin Stealth does not hit.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:59 PM
thegorilla
Junior User
26" / 24" on front; 18" rear

From here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11314017

I bought some of the Goodyear Assurance blades from Costco for $9ea and after a couple of times heading back into the store and test-fitting, here's my impression:
  • Driver's side - 26" - inside radius end 'swishes', but still wipes fine; won't wipe off thick snow at the ends; -may- be able to fit a 28" without interference
  • Passenger - 24" - lifts slightly off glass near bottom outside corner when parked; minor smudging for the first 3-4" of arc-wipe; not worth going bigger
  • Rear hatch - 18" - comes within a couple mm of the 3rd brake light at the top, but does not interfere; extends beyond the defroster when parked, so may get stuck if icy; the spring on the wiper arm isn't strong enough to hold this against the window consistently, and it skips a patch right above the pivot in the middle of the wiper about every 3rd wipe.

The 'Assurance' seem to have a less strong spring action holding them to the window than my girlfriend's Bosch Icons (comparing similar lengths), but they are a great value for the price. I have had no trouble with them lifting at 75mph.

I have some photos and will post them when I can, and hopefully a follow-up after some dirt has built up so you can see the wipe pattern.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:33 PM
RubenG
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Need to get some good windshield wipers before a road trip and was looking at the Bosch Icons, I go to their site and put in the information for my Ex and all i get are maximum 20". How do I get 24" or 26"? Do I need to put information for another vehicle or am I better just going to my local auto supply store and just getting the size?

Old 03-22-2012, 04:26 PM
RubenG
Mountain Pass
Shameless Bump

Old 03-22-2012, 07:01 PM
LWW
Elder User
You're better off going to your local auto supply store or searching online for the specific size in the brand and model wiper you want to buy.

I bought mine from Amazon.com:

Driver:
Amazon.com: 28" Rain-X Latitude Wiper Blades: Automotive

These 2 are eligible for Amazon Prime - Free 2-day shipping:

Passenger:
Latitude 8-In-1 Premium Graphite Coated Wiper Blade, 26" : Automotive

Rear:
Amazon.com: Rain-X 5079275 Latitude 8-In-1 Premium Graphite Coated Wiper Blade, 18" (Pack of 1): Automotive

Old 03-22-2012, 07:03 PM
LWW
Elder User
Any search using your specific vehicle is going to give you the OEM sizes exclusively. There won't be any "interchange" or "compatible" options.

Originally Posted by RubenG
Need to get some good windshield wipers before a road trip and was looking at the Bosch Icons, I go to their site and put in the information for my Ex and all i get are maximum 20". How do I get 24" or 26"? Do I need to put information for another vehicle or am I better just going to my local auto supply store and just getting the size?

Old 03-24-2012, 01:18 AM
RubenG
Mountain Pass
Picked up Michelin stealth 26" for the driver side and 24" for the passenger. Rear is stock. Let's see how they work.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:38 AM
LWW
Elder User
Now that it's actually raining I'm going to go out and put my new wipers on!

Old 03-24-2012, 01:41 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LWW
Any search using your specific vehicle is going to give you the OEM sizes exclusively. There won't be any "interchange" or "compatible" options.
Yes, but if it says to get the "rain-x" in 18" , just get the rain-x in 24".
Whatever brand you want, just replace the 18 with 24 they are all
the same mounting hardware - in the same model/line of blades.

I put the rain-x fluid into my windshield washer fluid, then it gets
re-applied with each use, also helps get the bug bodies off,
since we all know we have a picture window-sized windshield.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:55 PM
LWW
Elder User
The 28" driver's side is awesome and the 18" rear fit's perfectly but the 26" on the passenger side is too long by about an 1" and should be the 24".

I saw all sizes up to 28" at Target for $18.49 while I was there today but you can get the 26" from Amazon for $17.47 with free shipping on Prime:

Rain-X-5079280-Latitude-Premium-Graphite 26"

Originally Posted by LWW
You're better off going to your local auto supply store or searching online for the specific size in the brand and model wiper you want to buy.

I bought mine from Amazon.com:

Driver:
Amazon.com: 28" Rain-X Latitude Wiper Blades: Automotive

These 2 are eligible for Amazon Prime - Free 2-day shipping:

Passenger:
Latitude 8-In-1 Premium Graphite Coated Wiper Blade, 26" : Automotive

Rear:
Amazon.com: Rain-X 5079275 Latitude 8-In-1 Premium Graphite Coated Wiper Blade, 18" (Pack of 1): Automotive

Old 03-25-2012, 08:27 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
I have 22 inch blades in the front and a 16 inch blade in the back. For those of you running the 24s, is ENTIRE blade in CONSTANT contact with the windshield? Specifically on the passenger side. I don't want to be like the GMT900 trucks and suvs (Tahoe, Silverado, etc.) that have a portion of the wiper hanging off the windshield.

Quick Reply: Whats the biggest windshield wiper you can fit on the X