99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Old 12-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Fordboy49
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Dick,
Thank a million! I just got it. Now I need to find a reliable shop to install it for me.
Mario

Old 12-11-2008, 10:52 AM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fordboy49,

You will also need the large gasket that fits between the TC and the transmission. I didn't see one included on the eBay photos. Some Ford dealers still carry this. Check around and locate one beforehand, then take everything to the shop.

Congratulations! You got a great deal on that new TC.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Fordboy49
Senior User
Thank you AeroColorado,
You are right, the gasket is not included with the TC, I think I can get it at Autozone for under $5.00 Is it better to get from Ford which is $9.00?
Mario

Old 12-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Fordboy49
Senior User
Finally, I have the new Transfer Case installed. No more pop or bang. Upon inspecting the old one, it had been driving with out fluid, I neglect to check it after changed it (at 60K mile). I guessed since it sealed so fluid must stayed there. I was wrong, It did leak somehow, and costed me a new trasfer case.
I would like to take the opportunity to say Thank you to all of you for your helps. You are wonderful!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Mario

Old 12-22-2008, 02:20 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do you have the safety recall aluminum driveline or the old factory steel dl? critical to personel safety, long TC and rear end life.

use only a quality brand name full synthetic ATF in these small TCs. reduces running temps and far longer chain/planetary gear life. only has 2 qt capacity and poor air flow.

case of lube leak > the case bolts work loose from driveline and road vibration. just self tapping bolt threads in aluminum. torque wrench only to specs.
bolts must be checked every 20k miles or more often if driven on rough logging roads.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Fordboy49
Senior User
I went to the Ford dealer in Tacoma to check about the recalls, They confirm that my cars have been changed. How do I check it myself?
I used Amsoil on all of my transmission of my 2 94 Aerostar. I noticed that when I change to Amsoil transmission fluid, for some reason, I feel that it lost the kick when I take off. It's not as strong as before. When switched to Amsoil, I also added on the HD trans. cooler. So after 60k miles, I swithed back to Mecron.
For my new TC, I use Mobil 1 ATF.
Mario

Old 12-24-2008, 03:11 AM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scratch the driveline with a knife.
must be aluminum

steel is the old OEM factory defective setup.

Old 11-05-2016, 03:10 PM
asavage
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I have to laugh . . . I just bought an NOS TC28 from seller robbob36 on eBay for $400 shipped ($295 + shipping from Texas), and he's got "more than ten available". Eight years after you posted that NOS TC28s are available on eBay.

There must have been a pile of them warehoused somewhere, and it's somewhat surprising that they haven't all been scrapped.

I have the dreaded slipping chain noise in my TC. Last week i heard it briefly backing in my driveway. Yesterday, I heard it pulling out of a parking lot, and now I can make it slip at will in reverse, not moving, just by applying enough torque.

Back in Feb2016 I got a P1744, and I had to replace the trans torque converter. I am in my 50s now and while I've done several R&Rs of A4LDs in my various Aeros over the years, this is a different critter. I chickened out: I rented a bay in a self-service garage. Unfortunately, it's 1.5 hours away, but my AAA RV coverage handled that part nicely. Two days, $300 of bay rental and about double that in a torque converter, ATF, seals, tools, AT cooler flush, lunches, etc. and it was back on the road. I tell you, I was damn glad I rented that bay with a lift, I am too old to be wrestling that trans/TC in-n-out on my garage floor.

I think I can do the TC alone in my garage though. Four good jack stands, two floor jacks, air tools . . . and all the fasteners now have anti-sieze on them.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:59 AM
asavage
Laughing Gas
Other that identifying/obtaining the gasket between the transfer case and the extension housing, R&R the TC was pretty straightforward for me. Started at 11am and finished at 6pm.

(click on any picture for larger)

That gasket is supposedly NLA from Ford, and NAPA supplied me with a gasket that had a bolt circle about 1/2" larger and had a completely circular outline. I got mine from an eBay supplier.

The box was 79 lbs.

Correct gasket:

Wrong gasket:

Removing the five bolts that retain the TC to the extension housing was probably the hardest part of the R&R, as the top right bolt can be seen but is difficult to remove. I used an air ratchet plus 9" of extension. I did not drop the wye pipe, though I did disconnect the flex pipe hanger to avoid over-flexing it when lowering the transmission a bit to aid in sliding the old TC off and new TC on.

The reason my TC died: back in Feb, I had to replace the transmission's torque converter (the clutch fragmented), and at that time I replaced the driveshaft seal at the back of transfer case. You can see that it did not stay installed at the tailshaft housing. I drained the transfer case prior to removing it, and less than 1/2 cup of lubricant was left in the case.

I had driven 8k miles and towed a fully-loaded trailer back from LA in June, with almost no lubricant in the transfer case. I'm amazed it worked as well as it did. Other than the chain slipping in reverse, it worked fine until I remove it. AMSOil ATF.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:13 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
I wish I could use the newer design, as these TCs look brand new. I would have bought one of these, instead of the rebuilt I bought that came with its share of problems.

Also, the guys who rebuilt the one I bought installed a pipe plug in place of the vent tube, so pressure built up and kept blowing out the seals, including the rear output seal, and the O-ring in the front output shaft.

As a result, the rear main seal on my TC also would not stay on, so I made a clamp type device to hold it in place.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:27 PM
asavage
Laughing Gas
From what you wrote in Feb2010, the major difference between the 1990-91 and the later units is that the later units have no provision to drive the speedometer cable of the earlier vans.

Could you live without the speedometer? Hmmm.

The eBay seller I purchased from lists these as new, and from what I saw of mine, I see no reason to doubt that they are NOS.

New Genuine Ford Aerostar 4x4 Transfercase NOS 92 93 94 95 96 97 F79A-7A195-HB | eBay

Maybe you could re-use your old TC's rear output shaft & drive gear, and the rear housing. I can't find a parts breakdown of the early TC, my Ford manuals are 1989 (before AWD) and 1993-on (later style), and I can't find the early's parts breakdown online, but it sounds like a workable theory -- until proven unworkable.

OTOH, it sounds like you don't currently have a TC problem, so this is all academic.