best gear ratio for a good hard launch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 08:44 PM
awfulaggravated
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best gear ratio for a good hard launch?

what do you all think the best gear ratio for the 9 inch to get a good hard launch, i'm not talking about scrapping my tail gate on the asphalt ,but maybe lift those front tires a lil bit! i have what i was told a 3.73 gears in my 66 , it seems to go pretty good of the line, what do you all think a good avg. for a hard launch and decent top end?

Old 12-03-2008, 11:12 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
So this is for your '66, with automatic and the 460 that's sporting what, 400 horse?

With those tires in the pics in your gallery?

Traction bars or other device?

Does it hook up at all now?

Pull the front wheels? Sure, just move the rear axle forward a foot, tub it, put in a four link, wheelie bars and slap on some Goodyear Dragway Specials or other fine brand, and off you go....

3.73s are a good compormise. Lower numerically you'll spin easier or bog, higher numerically (4.11 for example) you'll be screaming at highway speeds.

3.73s aren't that short a gear except when you're buying gas.....

Without a big tire and some kind of traction device to control axle wind up and wheel hop, a hard launch will be tough to pull off methinks.

(remember, it's all relative, you are probably still faster than most even with greasy tires and stock springs....)

Old 12-04-2008, 05:45 AM
hayden01
Mountain Pass
I agree with what 85e150six4mtod said. Also another thing is how do you want your truck to be set up? I.E.: strickly for drag? street? daily driver/weekend play toy? Firdt you have to have an idea of what applacation is your truck going to see and then build her around that applacation.

Befor you can worrie about doing a wheelie off the line, you have to worrie about getting all that raw power to the rear wheels and to the ground.
Now there are a cupple ways you can do that.
One way is to get Tracton Bars or "Slapper Bars" as some ppl call them. and those help reduce axle spin which in turn helps wheel hop which helps your tracton.
Another way you can really stick to the track is with the help of the 4-link supention system. Now this helps a lot more then the slapper bars but requires a lot more know how of how to install and set them up to you specific applacation. I've heard that guys with massive engines pushing i recon 800 horses to the rear tires had a 4-link out back and they had is set up so there was maybe a 1/4 tyre spin if that off the line and they hooked up and were gone!!
Also so fatty meats out back would shave about a 1/2 sec off your ET and help you hook up more too along with a better RT.
And if your truck has coil springs up front you could get some 90/10 drag coils for her and that will help with the hard lanches too.

You said you have a automatic tranny in your truck yes? What about a shift kit for the tranny to make her shift harder and let the clutches and bands last a lil longer. And the what about replacing that old torque converter with like a 2800 rpm stall converter? That would help some too. Just a thought

But getting back to the gears.
3.73's are a good all-around gear set. Slapping a possi unit or a "limited slip" unit in there would help some too. If your really a hard core drag truck (I wouln't do this unless the truck is a drag only truck though) is to put 4.11 or 4.56 gears in that Ford 9" Now cupple that with a possi, fat slicks, drag coils (if applicible)and slaper bars and she'll be poping the tires up a lil bit.

Hope it helps!!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:34 AM
awfulaggravated
Junior User
hey thanks guys not really lookin for a full out drag , more or less daydreaming, you know when you stand there @work with the dumb look on yer face and mouth a gaipe, anyway thanks for the info, i kinda built this with more of a street and maybe a few runs down the strip in mind, i did install a shift kit and put in a boss hoss 2800 t.c. , i does have traction bars from prev. owner, a for link maybe a little to much for my skills, or my pocket.....

Old 12-04-2008, 07:45 AM
hayden01
Mountain Pass
Yup no prob. Our hobbies (or obsessions for some) can get spendy real quick. I love her (my truck) but some times she's like a real human women in the fact that they suck the money right out'a your wallet...and your wallet dosn't even have to leave your back pocket for it to happon lol.

Good luck with your truck though!!