Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Not one you'll use often!

carpaccio

\kar-PAH-chee-oh\
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
noun

Meaning
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
: thinly sliced raw meat or fish served with a sauce — often used postpositively

Example Sentence
"Though the menu is large, stick with the steaks and the beef carpaccio at this sleek, airy restaurant."<!-- Advertising Text Box (for Encycl. Britannica) BEGINS --><!-- Advertising Text Box (for Encycl. Britannica) ENDS -->

Did you know?
Carpaccio is not the only dish named after a person, though its name might have the most artful origin. Created in 1950 by Venetian restaurateur Giuseppe Cipriani, carpaccio is named after Vittore Carpaccio, the Renaissance painter. Cipriani created the dish for the Countess Amalia Nani Mocenigo, who had been under doctor’s orders to avoid cooked meats. According to Cipriani’s memoir, he chose to name the dish after Carpaccio because the red in the beef matched the colors found in Carpaccio’s paintings. Recently, some restaurants have begun using the term for similarly prepared non-meat dishes (such as pear carpaccio).

Old 12-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Kep4
Jäger
I would be derelict in my duties if I did not share this one:

derelict

\DAIR-uh-likt\
adjective

Meaning
1 : abandoned especially by the owner or occupant : run-down
*2 : lacking a sense of duty : negligent

Example Sentence
In letting the children stay up late into the night watching television, the babysitter was derelict in her duty.<!-- Advertising Text Box (for Encycl. Britannica) BEGINS --><!-- Advertising Text Box (for Encycl. Britannica) ENDS -->

Did you know?
The Latin verb "relinquere" left behind a few English derivatives. This word, itself meaning "to leave behind," is the root of our "derelict." Something derelict has been left behind, or at least appears that way. In another sense, someone derelict leaves behind or neglects his or her duties or obligations. Another descendent of "relinquere" is "relinquish," meaning "to leave behind," "to give up," or "to release." "Relic" is another example of a word that ultimately comes from "relinquere." "Relics," in the original sense of the term, referred to things treasured for their association with a saint or martyr — that is, objects saints and martyrs had left behind.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:37 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
oh i was thinking your example would have to do with a derelict super duty or something...

Old 12-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Rockstone
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a litany of excuses for the ineffable act of being derelict in thanking Russ for these words o' the day. Phew, glad I have spell check.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:28 PM
bla1879
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it is ineffable that the chawbacon Rockstone came up with a litany of excuses for his derelict actions regarding Russ' efforts. However i think Russ has created a golem, which may enjoy carpaccio.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Rockstone
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bla1879
I think it is ineffable that the chawbacon Rockstone came up with a litany of excuses for his derelict actions regarding Russ' efforts. However i think Russ has created a golem, which may enjoy carpaccio.
I couldn't have said it better himself.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:30 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by bla1879
Creative!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Kep4
Jäger
This is of course made easier by driving a Ford

lothario

\loh-THAIR-ee-oh\
noun

Meaning
: a man whose chief interest is seducing women

Example Sentence
Though Bubba Red Beard had been denounced as a chawbacon, he was actually quite the conniving lothario who liked to play the field but who had no interest in making a real commitment. That sly dog....

<!-- Advertising Text Box (for Encycl. Britannica) ENDS -->
Did you know?
"Lothario" comes from The Fair Penitent (1703), a tragedy by Nicholas Rowe. In the play, Lothario is a notorious seducer, extremely attractive but beneath his charming exterior a haughty and unfeeling scoundrel. He seduces Calista, an unfaithful wife and later the fair penitent of the title. After the play was published, the character of Lothario became a stock figure in English literature. For example, Samuel Richardson modeled the character of Lovelace on Lothario in his 1748 novel Clarissa. As the character became well known, his name became progressively more generic, and since the 18th century the word "lothario" has been used for a foppish, unscrupulous rake.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:40 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
this is early Word O The day....

Old 12-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Rockstone
Post Fiend
Would a chawbacon lothario be a oxymoron or a dichotomy?

Old 12-10-2008, 10:32 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Interesting how a pronoun can become so commonly used that it becomes a noun. We should all be so famous that our name becomes a noun. On the other hand, it could be infamy, and not such a good thing.

Ever see the movie Kingpin? The lead character is Munson, played by Woody Harrelson. He is such a royal screwup that munson becomes a term of scorn.

Dang, what a munson!

Old 12-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Kep4
Jäger
One of my favorite words...

exculpate

\EK-skull-payt\
verb

Meaning
: to clear from alleged fault or guilt

Example Sentence
Johnny Cochran claimed if the glove didn't fit then that would exculpate his client. Then O.J. f'd up in Las Vegas and finally ended up where he deserved to be.

<!-- Advertising Text Box (for Encycl. Britannica) ENDS -->
Did you know?
You need not take the blame if you're unfamiliar with the origins of "exculpate," but there's a hint in this sentence. The word, which was adopted in the late 17th century from Medieval Latin "exculpatus," traces back to the Latin noun "culpa," meaning "blame." Some other descendants of "culpa" in English include "culpable" ("meriting condemnation or blame") and "inculpate" ("incriminate"), as well as the considerably rarer "culpatory" ("accusing") and "disculpate" (a synonym of "exculpate"). You may also be familiar with the borrowed Latin phrase "mea culpa," which translates directly as "through my fault" and is used in English to mean "a formal acknowledgment of personal fault or error."

Old 12-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Kep4
Jäger
I've never heard this word before:

kickshaw

\KICK-shaw\
noun

Meaning
1 : a fancy dish
*2 : a showy trifle

Example Sentence
The shop was filled with refrigerator magnets, back-scratchers, snow globes, and other kickshaws, all adorned with images of smiling pigs.

My version: The FTE So Cal crew downed the kickshaw like a band of starving pirates. "Arrrrr...."

Did you know?
“Kickshaw” began its career in the late 16th century as a borrowing from the French "quelque chose" — literally, “something.” In line with the French pronunciation of the day, the “l” was dropped and the word was anglicized as "kickshaws" or "kickshoes." English speakers soon lost all consciousness of the word’s French origin and, by taking "kickshaws" as plural, created the new singular noun “kickshaw.”

Old 12-17-2008, 10:54 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
so is it like a plate or a kind of food?

Old 12-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Kep4
Jäger
wisenheimer

\WYE-zun-hye-mer\
noun

Meaning
: smart aleck

Example Sentence
"Everybody's a comedian," quipped Lisa, unperturbed, when some wisenheimer in the back row interrupted her speech with a clever comment.<!-- Advertising Text Box (for Encycl. Britannica) BEGINS --><!-- Advertising Text Box (for Encycl. Britannica) ENDS -->

Did you know?
We wouldn't joke around about the origin of this witty word. In the early 20th century, someone had the smart idea to combine the adjective "wise" (one sense of which means "insolent, smart-alecky, or fresh") with "-enheimer," playing on the pattern of family names such as "Oppenheimer" and "Guggenheimer." Of course, "wisenheimer" isn't the only “wise-" word for someone who jokes around. There's also "wiseacre," "wisecracker," "wise guy," and “wisehead.” All of these jokesters are fond of making "wisecracks."

Quick Reply: Word 'O' The Day