Join Chapter, Leader: sky Cowboy

Interesting Craigslist Ad

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Interesting Craigslist Ad

Found this while searching through some Cragslist ads.

Looking for carguy to share my fleet

Old 12-16-2008, 11:30 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Hmm that is interesting. Kinda an odd thing to offer though, not many guys would want to "share" like that!

Old 12-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Kind of makes you wonder.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Mr. Fixit
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is truly an interesting idea... sort of like the beginnings of a new type of car club crossed with the share-a-car-for-driving idea. As he points out , it's all about trust.
Let me tell a strange old story that happened to my Dad in about 1940.

He had just arrived in London England from Europe as a refugee and was learning English. His instructor said the language students should join any club and mingle with Brits as much as possible. Dad joined the local 'Philatelic Society' (Stamp Collecting) and went to his first meeting. At the meeting, you signed your name and address in a book that recorded attendance. A wealthy man, a Lord, took a likeing to my Dad and within a few days sent, in the mail, several big albums of rare stamps - so he could look them over. Dad knew the albums were worth over 100,000 pounds each. There was a list of names and addresses included with the direction: "When you have finished, write your comments about the collection on the paper and send it to the next person on the list"
Dad could not believe that anyone would have such trust in his fellow man (and the Postal System).

The truth is, most people are dead honest and can be trusted completely. In this case, if this guy can find another "carguy" or two, the vehicles would be used and appreciated more. Result, more happiness all round.

Merry Christmas to all
Mr. Fixit

Old 12-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Neat story. I like to think most people can be trusted but the world just isn't the same place as way back when.

I hope he finds someone to help him out and keep his collection intact.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:11 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Thats a good way to think of it Mr Fixit.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Mr. Fixit
It is truly an interesting idea... sort of like the beginnings of a new type of car club crossed with the share-a-car-for-driving idea. As he points out , it's all about trust.
Let me tell a strange old story that happened to my Dad in about 1940.

He had just arrived in London England from Europe as a refugee and was learning English. His instructor said the language students should join any club and mingle with Brits as much as possible. Dad joined the local 'Philatelic Society' (Stamp Collecting) and went to his first meeting. At the meeting, you signed your name and address in a book that recorded attendance. A wealthy man, a Lord, took a likeing to my Dad and within a few days sent, in the mail, several big albums of rare stamps - so he could look them over. Dad knew the albums were worth over 100,000 pounds each. There was a list of names and addresses included with the direction: "When you have finished, write your comments about the collection on the paper and send it to the next person on the list"
Dad could not believe that anyone would have such trust in his fellow man (and the Postal System).

The truth is, most people are dead honest and can be trusted completely. In this case, if this guy can find another "carguy" or two, the vehicles would be used and appreciated more. Result, more happiness all round.

Merry Christmas to all
Mr. Fixit
Awesome, thanks for sharing the story of your Dad.

I am maybe too trusting, but I generally believe all people are good.
But screw me over, and I can also become your worst nightmare.
I go out of my way to treat others well, and expect the same in return.

In all my years, and many dealings with people, I have only twice been done wrong, and both were fairly small.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Mr. Fixit
Senior User
Yes, we have all been screwed from time to time - in my case I have been taken more than once in my business dealings. But outside the business world, with some notable exceptions, I've been fairly treated by almost everyone. Most people I've met in Canada/US and all over the world have been very friendly and remarkably generous. Even the time I got mugged, it turned out to be a strangely interesting experience...
Of course, the News on TV and in the papers shows us the seedier side of humanity all the time. As the population goes up, there will be more and more horrible examples of human nature to be shown - good news doesn't sell newspapers.
I guess it's really up to the ordinary guy to make a little difference. Geez, don't I sound like some gushing optimist?

There was a TLC show about a group of carguys in LA that have a 'Rat Rod' club. They build and share all their vehicles - it's not a 'social club'. One new young guy wanted to join the club but had little money. Over a 6 month period the 6 older club members built him a Model T rod with La Salle running gear and early 50s Buick suspension. The parts came from various sources, cost very little but the work to lower the mid section of the chassis and chop the top of the body was amazing. The skills (welding & tinkering) the young guy learned were priceless. Perhaps our Craigslist guy needs a similar group of friends... if he can find them.

Cheers! I'd better shovel some snow!

Old 12-18-2008, 07:16 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Ive been screwed a few times too. I still always seem to look for the best in people though, ah well.