S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

A link for CA Ride Height Laws?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 07:52 AM
alamojimmy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A link for CA Ride Height Laws?

Good morning all. Does anyone know of a place to find the CA laws on vehicle ride height, headlights, mudflaps etc..? I have now been pulled over twice in two days here in town. They have both been pretty cool. The most recent cop said that he will pull me over again if I don't get it "fixed." The first one just wrote me a "fix-it" for front license plate. If anyone knows where I can find out what laws I am breaking and which ones I am not so I can at least be educated on the deal when I talk to the next guy that pulls me over. My plan now is to roll with what I have and hope they can just appreciate it is a nice truck and get used to seeing it. I live in a pretty small town so, if I can get a couple of them on my side I believe I will be good to go. Any help is appreciated.

Alamo

Old 11-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc.htm

Modification of Vehicles

24008. It is unlawful to operate any passenger vehicle, or commercial vehicle under 6,000 pounds, which has been modified from the original design so that any portion of the vehicle, other than the wheels, has less clearance from the surface of a level roadway than the clearance between the roadway and the lowermost portion of any rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway.

Amended Ch. 462, Stats. 1984. Effective January 1, 1985.

Frame and Floor Height

24008.5. (a) No person shall operate any motor vehicle with a frame height or body floor height greater than specified in subdivisions (b) and (c).

(b) The maximum frame height is as follows:
[This table lists the maximum frame height for various types of vehicles.] * Vehicle Type Frame Height
(1) Passenger vehicles, except housecars 23 inches
(2) All other motor vehicles, including housecars, as follows:
Up to 4,500 pounds GVWR 27 inches
4,501 to 7,500 pounds GVWR 30 inches
7,501 to 10,000 pounds GVWR 31 inches

(c) The lowest portion of the body floor shall not be more than five inches above the top of the frame.

(d) The following definitions govern the construction of this section:

(1) "Frame" means the main longitudinal structural members of the chassis of the vehicle or, for vehicles with unitized body construction, the lowest main longitudinal structural members of the body of the vehicle.

(2) "Frame height" means the vertical distance between the ground and the lowest point on the frame, measured when the vehicle is unladen on a level surface at the lowest point on the frame midway between the front axle and the second axle on the vehicle.

(3) "GVWR" means the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating, as defined in Section 390, whether or not the vehicle is modified by use of parts not originally installed by the manufacturer.

* The bracketed information has been added editorially to meet accessibility requirements and is not part of statute.
Amended Ch. 718, Stats. 1987. Effective January 1, 1988.

Exhaust Pipes

27152. The exhaust gases from a motor vehicle shall not be directed to the side of the vehicle between 2 feet and 11 feet above the ground.

Engine or Motor Change: Distinguishing Vehicle Identification Number

4161. (a) Whenever a motor vehicle engine or motor is installed, except temporarily, in a motor vehicle which is identified on the ownership and registration certificates by motor or engine number or by both the motor and frame numbers and subject to registration under this code, the owner of the motor vehicle shall, within 10 days thereafter, give notice to the department upon a form furnished by it containing a description of the motor vehicle engine or motor installed, including any identifying number thereon and the date of the installation. The owner of the motor vehicle shall also submit to the department with the notice the certificate of ownership and registration card covering the motor vehicle in which the motor vehicle engine or motor is installed and evidence of ownership covering the new or used motor vehicle engine or motor installed and such other documents as may be required by the department.

(b) Upon receipt of motor vehicle engine or motor change notification and other required documents, the department shall assign a distinguishing vehicle identification number to motor vehicles, other than motorcycles or motor-driven cycles registered under a motor number or motor and frame numbers. When the distinguishing vehicle identification number is placed on the vehicle as authorized, the vehicle shall thereafter be identified by the distinguishing identification number assigned.

(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section or any other provision of law, whenever an application is made to the department to register a replacement engine case for any motorcycle, the department shall request the Department of the California Highway Patrol to inspect the motorcycle to determine its proper identity. If the replacement engine case bears the same identifying numbers as the engine case being replaced, the original engine case shall be destroyed. A determination verifying proof of destruction shall be made by the Department of the California Highway Patrol.
Amended Ch. 755, Stats. 1982. Effective January 1, 1983.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 94, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.

Passenger Vehicle Bumper Requirements

28071. Every passenger vehicle registered in this state shall be equipped with a front bumper and with a rear bumper. As used in this section, "bumper" means any device designed and intended by a manufacturer to prevent the front or rear of the body of the vehicle from coming into contact with any other motor vehicle. This section shall not apply to any passenger vehicle that is required to be equipped with an energy absorption system pursuant to either state or federal law, or to any passenger vehicle which was not equipped with a front or rear bumper, or both, at the time that it was first sold and registered under the laws of this or any other state or foreign jurisdiction.

Amended Ch. 451, Stats. 1973. Effective January 1, 1974.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:56 PM
alamojimmy
Senior User
Colonel,
Thank you so much. That is great info. I am not sure where you dug it up or how much of your time it took but, it is appreciated. Hope all is well and thank you again.

Alamo

Old 11-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No worries, mates.
Just highlight , copy & paste that URL in blue @ the top of my message & it'll take you right to the California DMV site.
I was poking around that site for a couple of hours & it was rather frustrating @ times, but hopefully this'll help you & others out.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Brett99
Senior User
I got nailed because I had no mud flaps( still don't thanks to friend )

Old 12-03-2008, 04:27 PM
bla1879
Fleet Mechanic
flashy thats great info helpful to most everyone here i believe!! thanks