Computer Chips & Tuners  

Experience with HP Tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:38 PM
TJ05FX4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experience with HP Tuners?

Anyone here have any direct experience using the HP Tuners program for their F-150 truck?

I have a friend here locally who has tuned my Corvette and Trans Am in the past and informed me last night that he can get access to the F-150 tunability for HP Tuners now that I bought the truck. I can have him tune the truck for about 1/4th of what the Edge or Gryphon programmer costs, so I am trying to see what options are out there or if anyone knows how good this is.

My main complaint out of the truck is the mileage, little less power than I thought it would have, and the annoying shifting problem that I'm told the packaged tuners all takes care of. I assume it can be taken care of w/ HP Tuners as well, but again wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it before I commit to having it done.

Thanks

Old 11-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Power_Hungry
Former ******
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't really say much about HP Tuners as I don't really know much about them. However, I would say that the quality of tuning has more to do with the person doing the tuning than it does with the software they're using. As long as you're comfortable with the person handling your tuning then you should be good.

I agree with you that going with a reflash is much cheaper than going with a programmer. Obviously the biggest reason is because of the lack of any hardware costs. However, here are a few things to keep in mind:

1) If you have to go back to the dealer for any warranty repairs, you will have to go back to you tuner guy to return the truck back to stock.

2) If you go to the dealer and they reflash your truck as part of their "Well, it really needed it" policy, then your program is gone. Check with your guy to make sure he's going to take care of you if that happens.

3) The programmer does more than just reprogram. Most offer diagnostics, custom tunability for specific parameters and at least 3 different levels.

I'm not knocking reflashes as they have a time and place. If your budget is tight then this may be a good way for you to go and get into the performance game. I just want to make sure you have covered all your bases and don't end up disappointed in the long run.

Take care.