Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild of Project Flareside

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:57 AM
builtfordtough13
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what color are you planning on painting your truck when all is said and done?? Looking good by the way.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Good thing your not a used car salesman! you would never give up...Thats what i call dedication /persistence, With that kind of effort it should turn out well.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Mikestrucks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Deere Kid, you are awesome! You can do this.

Most all my road trucks were rebuilt body wrecks similar to what you are attempting.

You did VERY well on your replacement cab and bed. The going rate for solid bed and cab units up in PA are much higher when you factor in delivery too!

Do look the frame over very close. If it looks OK and you didn't find any bent cab perches or pulled/stressed body mounts when you pulled the cab your likely OK to put her back together and then send her to a frame shop for some final adjustments.

If you need a rear frame crossmember or something else for your frame while you have it in the open, let me know. I cut clean factory frame components from my southern donor frames and ship them up north for people dealing with rust all the time.

Good luck on your body swap. Label and picture everything as it comes apart. You'll get it done just fine!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:46 PM
MisterDave2
Elder User
Yeah! Go JD...

Old 12-01-2008, 09:28 PM
John_deere_kid
Senior User
I plan on having it done over christmas break. This next week and half not much will be done other than looking for parts and cleaning the frame as it is deer season here, and I have not gotten a deer yet in the 5 Years i have hunted.

I was told by really good friend who has swapped cabs before that "all i need to do" is to pull the interior out of the donor cab, then take mine, steering column and all and put it in the donor cab.

As for color. Not totally sure. My original plan before i wreck was to do black with racing stripes (hadn't decided on color) or something like hotrod yellow, but now there are a couple trucks within a couple miles of me with stripes. And i don't know about a yellow without it being the flareside anymore. For now, its gonna be spray canned black until nicer weather comes that way i'm not ruining a nice paintjob by taking it out on these wonderful PA winter roads.

What are some of your guy's and gal's ideas for color?

Old 12-01-2008, 09:42 PM
jonwoos
Senior User
Not mine but here is a Yellow lightning.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:32 AM
John_deere_kid
Senior User
I like that yellow. Well, i got my deer yesterday, so its back to work on the truck. I have scraped down a lot of the frame. I got a friend who is gonna come up in the next week or so and help me replace the rear main seal while its all apart. What size are the fuel lines? Cause i wanna replace those and the tank while its all apart.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:33 PM
crestfallinman
Elder User

john deere kid what part of pa do u live in?

i know about those sudden pa snowstorms i just pray for the best haha

but bethel park (where i live) is amazing at keepin the roads clean but anywhere else near pittsburgh sucks haha

if you want a flareside and you live near pittsburgh i know a guy that is selling a clean flareside bed for 500

i almost bought it but i like the extra bedspace and my bed is extremely clean

Last edited by crestfallinman; 12-12-2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: adding to post
Old 12-12-2008, 06:53 PM
95F350XL
Posting Guru
Nice job man. Keep it up. Yea people say I have that same attitude that you do. I work 7:30-5:30 as a mechanic, and then come home and work till i pass out in the garage. There aint much kids like us anymore. Most kids want the money without the work. At least in my town its like that. Sad part is in high school kids with like 50G cars and such used to make fun of my 88 Stang, oh yea its an 80's stang, its a slow pos. Ok come see me. Never lost a race yet. You will get it done and it will be super nice. You will know you saved what everyone else said is junk. Thats what I do, bring em back from the dead. Id do all the brake lines also unless they have all been done. For ur info my 95 F350 doesnt have airbags. So I think if you get a cab with all the same stuff as yours youll be ok. Plus how much more work would it be to swap ur harness over. Your already into it might as well go some more.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Dr. Dirt
Cargo Master
man, I'm glad you're alright. I read this whole thread. you're a long way into this project. I hope it's going good for you and good luck on the rest of it!

Old 12-13-2008, 10:47 PM
John_deere_kid
Senior User
Got most of the frame scraped down. Found a 1993 Cab with same motor and accessories, in almost immaculant shape. So i think thats the way i'm going to go.

I'm about 3 hours north of pittsburgh....

Old 12-14-2008, 02:35 PM
crestfallinman
Elder User

well if you didnt get a new bed yet and are lookin for a flareside there is a guy not too far from me that has one in excellent condition for 500 bucks

Old 12-14-2008, 02:51 PM
guitarnik
Elder User
great job......people say im the sam way about work. ill work on somethin literally for 12 rs without eating or drinkin, i work till its done and done right. i hate leaving stuff undone or half a**. i am a carpenter so i work 7-3 and then 4-??? at night after i get home. lookin great so far, keep us posted im anxious to see ti done. nik

Old 12-14-2008, 06:49 PM
John_deere_kid
Senior User
I already got a bed. But thanks anyways. Its only a regular side bed, but oh well.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:21 PM
John_deere_kid
Senior User
Few questions here. Can i order the fuel lines pre made anywhere? (Everything from the tank to the motor including the return line?)

Where can i get body mount bushings? and do i stick to the factory style or go with the poly or whatever they are?

Quick Reply: Rebuild of Project Flareside