Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Truck Buying Decision

Old 11-17-2008, 11:18 PM
1985IDIFORD
Freshman User
1985IDIFORD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help with Truck Buying Decision

Well here it is. I have been looking to get a different truck for some time now, and I want a diesel. I have found a couple and I am just going to list them out and what they need. I only have the money that I could get from my old truck to buy a different one, so that is why these new ones have 'problems'

1) 2001 f350 CC XLT 4x4, White 144k. 7.3 powerstroke
-Engine makes loud exhaust/ticking upon acceleration- drivers side(up tube?)
-Dome light stays on along with DOOR AJAR (WD40 the striker?)
-Air stuck on defrost (vaccum? bad switch?)
Overall a great looking truck but it does have a 5th wheel hitch, so I know shes been driven hard. I just really like the 4 door. $9800

2) 2004 f350 Supercab xlt 4x4 white, 148k 6.0 powerstroke
-Seems to start a little harder (few seconds cranking)
-Seems sluggish compared to the 7.3 or even my v10
-A little looser front end
-Said he cleaned the turbo, and put an egr in?!?! $8500

3) My current truck 2001 f250 CC Lariet 4x4 white 141k v10
-There is no issues with my truck to speak of, if someone didnt know the mileage they might think its a 2004 with 40k! I do like the fact that this is a lariet and I know/ took care of everything wrong with it.

I just want to know if these diesels sound ok. I have always wanted a diesel for whatever reason and now I have found 2 in my price range. Let me know what yall think, and if these sound like major problems <$1000. I know enough about engines (gas) to get me by, but not too much about diesels. Are the basics the same? are they similar to work on? could I do exhaust/injector/other engine work to a diesel.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:39 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Post Fiend
CampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputation
Here's a link to a thread that should help you out.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...questions.html

Old 11-18-2008, 12:30 AM
00Dave
Posting Guru
00Dave has a good reputation on FTE.00Dave has a good reputation on FTE.
1) 2001 f350 CC XLT 4x4, White 144k. 7.3 powerstroke
-Engine makes loud exhaust/ticking upon acceleration- drivers side(up tube?)
-Dome light stays on along with DOOR AJAR (WD40 the striker?)
-Air stuck on defrost (vaccum? bad switch?)
Overall a great looking truck but it does have a 5th wheel hitch, so I know shes been driven hard. I just really like the 4 door. $9800

Tick could be an up pipe leak. Try and look at the up pipes and see if you see any soot around the connection to the babies butt. Might also be the sound of the #8 injector? Someone else can chime in on that.
WD-40 trick on #2.
My air was on defrost when I bought my truck. Replaced bad va pump on passenger side wheel well and hoses were dry rotted for the esof going to the front hub area.
My truck also had a hitch (gooseneck), but the po had it installed but stated they didn't use it but maybe twice. The ball didn't look like it had been used very much. If it is a fifth wheel hitch you might see if you can talk to the po and see what size of trailer they pulled with the truck.
This would be my choice between the 2 diesels listed.
1. 7.3
2. Definitely like the cc over the supercab.
Just my .02

Old 11-18-2008, 06:01 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
David pretty much answered this one. I would go with the 7.3, but I have an 01' also and love this truck.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
The 03 & 04 6.0s are the ones to stay away from. You'll be doing intake & head gaskets, EGR, possibly a turbo on it, if it hasn't already been done. They were supposed to be "fixed" in '05, but my buddy's 05 has had all that and a few injectors done. And the dealer pulled the cab off the frame to do the heads... I'd steer well clear of those years, and consider an 06 or 07, but those have issues too. Our shopo had 06s over in the desert, and one needed an EGR at 9k (yes, that's 9k), and the other one started to show the same symptoms when I left. The 7.3s have some issues too, but I'd rather carry a spare CPS in the glove box, do a few mods, and have MUCH more reliable truck with the same or more power than a stock 6.0. That's my $0.02.

One thing just occurred to me: The 01 might have the dreaded diode tranny. You'll need to check that out. Some guys have them and put lots of miles on 'em, others never made to 100k. OTOH, it might also have forged rods (GOOD thing!). All that can be determined by the build date (need the engine build date and the truck build date).

Old 11-18-2008, 08:00 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Don't forget about the "loose" front end. You are talking ball joints and/or tie rod ends and that's $$$ for parts alone.

If the '01 is an up-pipe issue it costs about $350 to get a set of bellowed pipes to solve that problem forever.

I vote the 7.3. I would stay away from the '03 and '04 6.0s. Yes, I'm biased but the 7.3 is a great engine. It has it's issues, but is one stout *****.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:08 AM
empiretc
Post Fiend
empiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to behold
All of the above posts are correct. I would stay far away from any 03-04 6-oh. I am a little biased with the 7.3, but I am pretty sure my next truck will be an 05-07.

The minor problems the 7.3 has are pretty affordable to fix.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:13 PM
1985IDIFORD
Freshman User
1985IDIFORD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for all the input guys...
I was leanin toward the 7.3 just cuz of the crew cab. We got it on a lift today and heres what I found

-#8 header area has tons of soot and I can feel exhaust comming out at idle. So might just need to pull header machine it and new gasket and install?
-up-pipe has a little ammount of soot so maybe while i have the header off just replace that doghnut too.
-Definatly needs new lower ball joints
-I noticed that the hubs were still engaged so I think that may have something to do with my defrost (maybe vaccum motor or lines?)

I hope to get it all checked out and going, I am getting pretty excited since I get to drive it when I am trying to sell my old one( I work at the shop that is selling both trucks) so this lets me get parts and stuff cheap and I can do most of the labor.

Now I checked for blowby and here is what I did and found....1)started it up 2) took off the oil fill cap 3) noticed a small ammount of steam (couldnt feel it blowing just could see it...........is that small ammount of steam alot of blowby or just regular psd operation.

I thank everyone for input on my quest to being a PSD owner!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:43 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster
WA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to all
I would go with the 7.3 also, but also have that tranny inspected! Did the po run a chip or tunner?

Old 11-19-2008, 12:41 AM
liftedgrocerygetter
Post Fiend
liftedgrocerygetter is a splendid one to beholdliftedgrocerygetter is a splendid one to beholdliftedgrocerygetter is a splendid one to beholdliftedgrocerygetter is a splendid one to beholdliftedgrocerygetter is a splendid one to beholdliftedgrocerygetter is a splendid one to beholdliftedgrocerygetter is a splendid one to beholdliftedgrocerygetter is a splendid one to behold
Here is a video that one of the members (kwikkordead) posted on youtube showing normal blowby. Hope this helps you.

YouTube - Ford Powerstroke Blow By