Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATTENTION: All dually owners.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:03 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
ATTENTION: All dually owners.

Well, I broke down and bought the 1 7/8" socket that takes the nut off the pinion of the Dana-80 rear. They are very proud of this little tool at Snap-On, but it is needed if you don't want to use a lathe to cut down a reguler socket. I will be changing my pinion seal this weekend. The reason I went ahead and bought this socket, is because of the 470 ft lbs torque to tighten the nut back on.

OK, here is the deal. Instead of you guys buying this same socket, PM me if you are ready to change your pinion seal. I will send the socket to you to do this job. When I get it back, the next person thats wants to do this can use this socket. This socket will only work on the Dana-80.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:11 PM
UP_There
Post Fiend
UP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant future
I don't need it Rick...not a dually here, but this is an amazing display of generosity bro! Have a rep on me

Old 11-17-2008, 01:16 PM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
Very cool of you to offer that up.

470 ft-lbs! Yikes.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:18 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Thanks guys. Yep, 470 lbs. I almost weigh 160, this ought to be fun.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:20 PM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
You're going to need to be something like 3 feet off the center line of that nut, and hang every bit of your body weight at the end of that 3 feet to come up with that much torque. You might want to set up a video camera for this one...could be pretty entertaining.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:21 PM
UP_There
Post Fiend
UP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by miller_feed View Post
Thanks guys. Yep, 470 lbs. I almost weigh 160, this ought to be fun.
I guess I never really thought about that........how in the HELL even with a cheater bar can ya achieve that much lb??????

Old 11-17-2008, 01:25 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.
They make torque wrenches that go up well past 470lbs.

I have a pic of a 600lb next to a 250lb, let me see if I can find it.

Should have taken a pic of the one that goes to 2000, yes 2000. You could break it down in 3 pieces, fully assembled was 8-9 feet long. My buddy uses it at his work (very large axles on log skidders).

Old 11-17-2008, 01:28 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
Jeremy has the right idea. I have a 4' cheater pipe. No vids, I'm sure it will look like a monkey ******* a football.

I guess we will see.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:33 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.
Snap on good for 600+ compared to the 250:

Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2008, 01:36 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
Originally Posted by DCSpecial View Post
Snap on good for 600+ compared to the 250:

Wow, that thing is huge. I do have a 250, maybe I could do the 250 twice.

EDIT: Don't guess you will be in south Louisiana next weekend?

Old 11-17-2008, 01:48 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Nope, it's not mine anyway.
I borrowed it from a buddy of mine.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:10 PM
HKusp
Post Fiend
HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.
It's simple physics really. Force X lever arm. If Rick weighs 160lbs and puts all of his weight on a one foot long torque wrench, he gets 160 ft/lbs of torque. If he puts all of his weight on a 2 foot torque wrench, he gets 320 ft/lbs. and so on.

Now if he puts his 160lbs on it then muscles up against something else and exerts his weight plus some good old fashioned muscle power, he can achieve the amount of torque he is looking for without having to resort to a 3 foot long cheater bar.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:19 PM
03_PSD
Postmaster
03_PSD has a great reputation on FTE.03_PSD has a great reputation on FTE.03_PSD has a great reputation on FTE.03_PSD has a great reputation on FTE.
FTE at it's finest, Your a good man Rick!!

Old 11-17-2008, 02:24 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
It's simple physics really. Force X lever arm. If Rick weighs 160lbs and puts all of his weight on a one foot long torque wrench, he gets 160 ft/lbs of torque. If he puts all of his weight on a 2 foot torque wrench, he gets 320 ft/lbs. and so on.

Now if he puts his 160lbs on it then muscles up against something else and exerts his weight plus some good old fashioned muscle power, he can achieve the amount of torque he is looking for without having to resort to a 3 foot long cheater bar.

OK, Jason. I will be under the truck, so I think with a 2 foot 3/4" socket wrench, I may be able to put my feet against something to give me the extra torque. Looks doable.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:46 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
indyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to behold
i guess you could put your back against the inner dual then use your foot on it with a standard breaker bar. i can leg sled over 1K so you should be close to 500 being a little guy....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ATTENTION: All dually owners.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.